Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
No love for Universal Soldier or The Day After Tomorrow? Personally they're the only two movies of his I can still watch, and be entertained.
Universal Soldier gets a pass but Day After Tomorrow is garbage. It's just people running away from CG coldness, at least ID had aliens and shit.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Universal Soldier gets a pass but Day After Tomorrow is garbage. It's just people running away from CG coldness, at least ID had aliens and shit.
Ha, fair enough. I've got a soft spot for Dennis Quaid so DAT is alright by me.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
It looked awful in the trailer. It looked like Neeson playing a spoof of Philip Marlowe on Saturday Night Live. And then it's not even an adaptation of an actual Marlowe story. Just some random schmo writing something new about a time and place he knows nothing about and then plugging in a Marlowe name slap for the cheap boost.
All that may be true but I enjoyed it more than any MCU movie. The bar is extremely low today.

"Plane" is another movie I went to see lately that was a solid mid range action film - the kind of film I used to enjoy watching in the 90s.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Hot Fuzz- Going through the Cornetto trilogy again and started with this one, will probably do SOTD last as it's the one I've seen the most.

I like this one a lot, it really let Edgar Wright show what he was capable of with a budget. It still retains a lot of the style and humor from Shaun and Spaced but places it into a more traditional/reserved setting using the small country village and police department. The occult twist is fittingly British which I think hampers it a little bit for foreign audiences not familiar with that stuff.

The action is solid when it really needs to be and the pacing is excellent for the movies length. The constant references to action movies (some very witty and subtle) are a lot of fun. The entire cast is amazing especially if you're familiar with the British comedy scene at the time. This is a movie that I can always find more things to enjoy or enjoy more every time I watch it.

My only gripe with it is that the sound mixing is annoying with extremely quiet dialogue punctuated by deafening jumps and edits for action or visual punchlines. Regardless it is a fantastic, clever and genuinely hilarious piece.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Hot Fuzz is amazing. It manages to simultaneously be a send up of action movies while being itself one of the best action movies ever made.
Indeed. It's an incredibly well made movie and as a bonus it also has one of Timothy Dalton's best roles.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Bone Tomahawk- A murderous drifter who defiled an indian burial ground ends up stumbling into a small town where he is arrested. The indians track and capture him, the deputy and a nurse. The sheriff and a small posse go on a rescue mission but the indians are not a normal tribe, they are literal bloodthirsty murderous savages who eat their victims. The rescue mission quickly turn into a brutal fight for survival.

One of the of the most underrated modern westerns and one of the only western/horror movies. Stellar cast, pacing and dialogue, just really well made all around. I hadn't seen it in a few years and forgot how crazy it gets towards the end. It is extremely violent but not exactly in a gratuitous way. It's just brutal. The violence is real-time quick and since the movie has no score to speak of it's not punctuated with dumb sound cues, it just happens. Kurt Russel of course steals every scene he's in but it's also a great ensemble piece and everybody pulls their weight. Highly recommended.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Terminator- Much like Alien and Aliens this is in many ways superior to the sequel but also a totally different type of movie than it's sequel. Much like Alien this is at it's core a fairly simple horror movie. I definitely appreciate it's grittier low rent, back alley portrayal of LA more than the slickness of T2. Aside from a couple of stop motion and animatronic shots the effects hold up extremely well and the action while sloppy is still highly engaging. While Arnold's performance is obviously quite limited he is used perfectly, Michael Beihn looks great in the role but his acting is less than stellar. Linda Hamilton on the other hand does an excellent job and really carries the movie.

Obviously it's a classic and I am very glad to have grown up with stuff like this, Robocop, Predator, Die Hard etc. rather than stuff like the Fast & Furious series, disposable PG13 fodder and shitty unnecessary sequels and remakes.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Monkey Shines
Watch this movie now.
That's a fun one. Romero made some interesting stuff that's usually overlooked; Monkey Shines, The Dark Half and Martin are all good but rarely discussed.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
-I enjoyed it, was a throwback to high science fiction ala Flash Gordon/Journey to the Center of the Earth. Jonathan Major has been stellar in everything I've seen him in and he continues that streak here.

Infinity Pool
-not as graphic as Possessor so some might like this more because of that but much like his father Brandon is really good at telling these creepy morality tales

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Raiders of the Lost Ark- I think I might actually like Last Crusade a little bit more. Obviously this is still an incredible movie and established the character and style perfectly but every time I watch it I notice more moments and little things in this that smell of George Lucas. Not as apparent as what we would come to see in the near future but they're still there. Anyways it's always a pleasure to go back and watch Harrison Ford in his prime and the character is just so good that any shortcomings are negligible.

I still can't believe they made a 5th one which I'm sure is going to be absolutely embarrassing but the question is will it manage to be worse than Crystal Skull? That is a tall order.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Raiders of the Lost Ark- I think I might actually like Last Crusade a little bit more. Obviously this is still an incredible movie and established the character and style perfectly but there are more moments and little things in this that smell of George Lucas. Not as apparent as what we would come to see in the near future but they're still there. Anyways it's always a pleasure to go back and watch Harrison Ford in his prime and the character is just so good that any shortcomings are negligible.

I still can't believe they made a 5th one which I'm sure is going to be absolutely embarrassing but the question is will it manage to be worse than Crystal Skull? That is a tall order.

Raiders is on our list for next weekend. This weekend we watched National Treasure. Hilariously stupid. But I like the founding fathers theme so it gets a guilty pleasure from me.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
But I like the founding fathers theme so it gets a guilty pleasure from me.
I really wish they were better movies because I like that stuff a lot as well and I think Nic Cage is a good choice but yeah, just so incredibly dumb.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The first two Brendan Fraser Mummy films are the closest thing to good Indiana Jones movies since the original trilogy.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I still can't believe they made a 5th one which I'm sure is going to be absolutely embarrassing but the question is will it manage to be worse than Crystal Skull?
Crazily, the trailer actually looks kind of good.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The first two Brendan Fraser Mummy films are the closest thing to good Indiana Jones movies since the original trilogy.
The first one yes but the second one is a total piece of shit. Throwing an annoying little kid in there instantly ruined everything good they had built up with the first movie.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Right. Because the other installments were totally realistic...
Those were real stunts though. The CG in Crystal Skull is some of the worst in modern movie history. Not only are they too far beyond the suspension of disbelief they're awful looking. Then you've got all of Lucas' little shitty flourishes like goofy animals and slapstick. The movie is a piece of shit. Spielberg has admitted so himself.