Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Stumbled upon The Long Goodbye (1973) on the Criterion Channel last weekend. Elliott Gould is just about a perfect casting for the main character, private eye Philip Marlowe. Fantastic casting of a pet cat too, lol... his neighbors in the film aren't bad eye candy either. It has a little bit of everything for a "crime drama" including some great comedic charm I must say.

All in all, it quickly became one of my fave's from Altman. Worth a watch with some better than decent replay value.
Have you seen Images? It’s one of my favorites.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
fami is a 200 IQ mental elite and was too good for college. he also says he is pound for pound one of the strongest people in colorado...but didn't wanna play college sports. therefore, all college sports are beneath him.
Hush up! Wrestling is about to come on!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
@Lagduf reminded me of it in another thread so I threw it on.

Slither- Easily my favorite James Gunn movie and my favorite of Nathan Fillion's roles. Awesome movie from start to finish. Funny, great cast and performances, lots of effects and a great throwback to goofy 80s stuff like Night of the Creeps.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
@Lagduf reminded me of it in another thread so I threw it on.

Slither- Easily my favorite James Gunn movie and my favorite of Nathan Fillion's roles. Awesome movie from start to finish. Funny, great cast and performances, lots of effects and a great throwback to goofy 80s stuff like Night of the Creeps.

I love that you went and watched this absolute classic.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I love that you went and watched this absolute classic.
It's one of those movies that I can watch pretty much anytime and once it's on I'll just stop whatever else I was doing to watch the movie all the way through. It's up there with Tremors as far as goofy fun.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Strange Days (1995) -on HBO -​
Horrible movie. Not even Juliette Lewis running around with her little firm exposed breasts bouncing around for half the movie can save it. I could swear I've heard of this movie before and always wanted to see it. I now think I remember wrong. Good remaster job, looks like a new movie if so much of the set, costumes and props weren't so bad. A 95' movie talking about 2000 (just a few years in the future) but the tech advanced so much and everything else has fallen apart. You can check off all the 80'-90's film tropes here. It could almost be campy fun but it takes itself too seriously. Don't get me wrong the film touches on a few hot topics and up and coming and still present issues though. I blame the direction, director. Lots of talent here. It seems like acting has changed. In the early days they seemed to playing an actor playing a character playing a character. Then just an actor playing a character in more modern times. Current film feels like they've channeled them, put every fiber of their being in that person and everything surrounding it has to be perfect. Everybody has stepped up their game basically. All the characters in this movie seem like their trying to be someone else. Main character/actor doesn't fit. Hell even the music starts out sounding like it's a Dr Dre, Snoop Dog, NIN, whatever song and turns into record soundtrack audio.

62% You should (skip) -Note this type of movie is my jam too. (Cyberpunk/Noir) Just too much cringe. Don't think cutting it from two and a half hours to 90 minutes would have helped either. Love the Minidisc and Chrysler product placements though.

Hurleyburley {Movie} (1998)
Sean Penn / Kevin Spacey / Chazz Palminteri / Robin Wright / Garry Shandling / Anna Paquin (pours out a 40 for ma homie boogbutt) / Meg Ryan
Rated R for being un-PC, missognystic, gratuitous drug use, coarse langauge and sex scenes with no real nudity except Sean Penns flabby ass walking around trying to put his pants on.

I took a acting class in college for an elective and I was paired up with two dudes. We had to do a scene and I think they opened the book with the choices and pointed to this movie. I tried at the time to look this movie up (for context) but have always pretty much found zip about it. I imagined the guy being a gangster or wanna be from out east, I was kinda close. I believe the scene was somewhere around the 42 minute mark, but the script must've been from the play because I don't totally recognize it. The other dudes (only other guys in the class) choose roles just sitting there nodding pretty much. Freakin jagoffs.

Anyways nothing to see here. This movie is like Seinfield, about nothing. Needs some kind of real story or plot twist. Several scenes made me feel uncomfortable and I had to pause it a couple times and walk around. Dialog seems forced and doesn't flow from the actors mouths. Another movie with lots of wasted talent.

65% -Another let down trying to find this movie for all these years. SKIP - but watch the youtube link above if you ever want to see it. Or maybe a chance dvd on Ebay some days. Sees a ton of them right now.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I liked Strange Days when I saw it back in the 90s (Angela Basset bro.. still would).

I can imagine it probably hasn't aged well. But interestingly enough, that scene at the venue with Juliette Lewis' band playing "Hardly Wait" has a 99.99% ripped off version that plays in an episode of Babylon 5.

Like, same cadence, same type of guitar riff, and even the parts where the song starts getting heavy. I have no idea how they got it through. Watched that episode recently and was like HEY WHAT THE FUCK THATS HARDLY WAIT lol

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Strange Days might not be perfect (nothing written or co-written by James Cameron is ever going to be), but I love the core concept of a guy addicted to an idealized version of his past that he can't let go of. All the stuff that happens in the present with trying to solve the murder mystery and blah blah blah is whatever, but Feinnes struggling with his addiction is gold.

If we ever get to the point where we have technology that allows you to relive the memory of when you were happiest in life, not just like watching a movie, but including smell, touch, all sensation completely immersively exactly as you experienced it the first time, I could definitely see that becoming a huge problem for a lot of people. I'm sure there will be a lot of people in their 60s or 70s just living out the rest of their lives infinitely repeating their happiest two days from when they were 24 or whatever. Lots of people never getting over a bad break up, never moving on and finding the next person, all kinds of unhealthy shit.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Black Mirror touches on those ideas in a few episodes and comes up with some truly hellish dystopian nightmare ideas.

I gotta watch this movie now.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Ant-Man 3
Not as bad as critics are saying. Action scenes are all well done. Decent plot. I really liked the sense of evil from the villain. Lots of macguffins, but it's a comic movie so that is what you expect. It's not all that funny as an Ant-Man movie. It feels like Thor in that they were trying too hard, but by doing so they made it completely obvious.

This continues the trend for post Avenger Marvel movies. They are trying to bring in the new breed of tweens to care about Marvel, and that process is alienating a lot of the old fans. This is probably a big hit with the younger crowd, but I think Modok is the only thing old Marvel people will enjoy.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I know I said it earlier but the dude playing Kang really is great and I hope the Marvel stuff helps his career.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I mean he's already the villain in the new Creed movie (which looks pretty good). Seems like his career's doing just fine.

I have no intention of watching the movie but the impression I've gotten is that Jonathan Majors is awesome and that everything else is a crowning example of the downfall of Marvel movies: terrible writing that ping pongs between unearned melodrama and Whedon-lite snark and people shitting on the established title character to build up the unlikable teenage girl replacement for when the current person gets too old or expensive. It's almost become self-parody... they've replaced (or have done the legwork to replace) every Avenger with a bratty teenage girl. Iron Man? Check. Thor? Check. Hawkeye? Check. Ant Man? Check. Hulk? Well at least that's a grown-ass woman. But check. Black Panther? Check. Black Widow? Kinda sorta.

I guess Captain America's still an adult male but the second Anthony Mackie gets bored or asks for too much money, I'm sure there will be a snotty teenage girl shitting on him and being positioned to replace him in the next movie.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I mean he's already the villain in the new Creed movie (which looks pretty good). Seems like his career's doing just fine.

I have no intention of watching the movie but the impression I've gotten is that Jonathan Majors is awesome and that everything else is a crowning example of the downfall of Marvel movies: terrible writing that ping pongs between unearned melodrama and Whedon-lite snark and people shitting on the established title character to build up the unlikable teenage girl replacement for when the current person gets too old or expensive. It's almost become self-parody... they've replaced (or have done the legwork to replace) every Avenger with a bratty teenage girl. Iron Man? Check. Thor? Check. Hawkeye? Check. Ant Man? Check. Hulk? Well at least that's a grown-ass woman. But check. Black Panther? Check. Black Widow? Kinda sorta.

I guess Captain America's still an adult male but the second Anthony Mackie gets bored or asks for too much money, I'm sure there will be a snotty teenage girl shitting on him and being positioned to replace him in the next movie.

I didn't know he was in the new Creed movie. I wasn't sure if I was going to see it in theaters but I think I'll give it a go.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
If we ever get to the point where we have technology that allows you to relive the memory of when you were happiest in life, not just like watching a movie, but including smell, touch, all sensation completely immersively exactly as you experienced it the first time, I could definitely see that becoming a huge problem for a lot of people. I'm sure there will be a lot of people in their 60s or 70s just living out the rest of their lives infinitely repeating their happiest two days from when they were 24 or whatever. Lots of people never getting over a bad break up, never moving on and finding the next person, all kinds of unhealthy shit.

‘The Game’ in the second Red Dwarf book really fleshes out what such a thing could do to people.

I liked Strange Days. Haven’t seen it since it came out. I remember being tickled that MiniDiscs 💽 were in it. Like the Turbo Express in Enemy of the State…fun nerd Easter Eggs.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Magnificent Warriors- A young Michelle Yeoh plays a pilot/smuggler who is recruited by the Chinese government to sneak into Japanese occupied Manchuria (it's the 1930s) and smuggle out a dignitary who has information on the Japanese military and their plans to invade China. It's straight up old school HK action goodness. The actual plot is bare-bones good guys vs. bad guys, It's full of goofy nonsense and bizarre shifts in tone but that's only like 5% of the movie, the rest is pure action.

Holy fuck is there action. It is a nonstop barrage of hand to hand combat, weapons, gunfights, explosions even airplane dogfights. It's crazy. The stunt work is absolutely insane, massive fight scenes, horses, Jeeps and trucks, fire, explosions after explosion. It's exhausting to watch at times. Then there's the kicking, my god the kicking. Dudes just getting rag-dolled hard as fuck left and right, through walls, tables, off roofs you name it. The insanity of the stunts is up there with Supercop, Operation Condor and Police Story. The movie is awesome and Michelle Yeoh kills it.

(Side note: The movie is super racist so yeah... be warned)

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
A shame it's come to that but all franchises run out of steam eventually. Happens much faster when you squeeze the tit dry by putting out 4 movies and a half a dozen TV shows per year but that's short-term profit-driven thinking for you.