Moving Is Going To Be Insane.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I’m nearing the end of the moving process myself. Buying boxes is the way to go… the local Lowe’s sells them cheap (like $1 for the small boxes for books) and I’ve been doing that for months. Should be done boxing just in time. You can put the boxes in a closet or storage room in the new place and if you go a year without needing to open them, then chances are that is stuff you can sell or toss out depending on value.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Unfortunately, this is the price companies pay for trying to satisfy the average consumer at all costs.

The Realistic sports simulators have a number of problems that make these type of games age very prematurely:
  • They usually don't have a plot: so the fiction never leaves the screen, to remain inside the players' heads even after they have stopped playing, moreover, for this same reason, the atmosphere and the settings never change, because the protagonist teams and the most famous stadiums are always the same in the end.
  • The characters although based on real people, within the fiction they have a practically non-existent personality and in fact sometimes, for obvious technical reasons do not even have their own personal voice actor: nor do they have dialogues or lines that then remain within of the popular culture. For example, if to a person who has played 'Metal Gear Solid', I say 'Kept you waiting, huh?' He understands immediately what I'm referring to.

• Some sports simulators I've seen didn't even have soundtracks: there was just the buzz of the audience and the talk of the commentators.
  • There is then the conclusive problem that being of the titles based on a sport game really existing, the playability of base never changes: there will not be therefore never a net detachment as between 'KOF '95' (which is based on the blows launched on the medium/long distance) and 'KOF '98' (which has been predisposed for close combat based on combinations).

The only thing that changes between one chapter and another of a realistic sports series is only the graphical improvement and the replacement of players, which can still be reproduced through customizations and the acquisition of official licenses by the company itself: for this reason people have no collecting interest in this type of games.
Once again, I'm not analyzing thier value as video game collectables.... But as sports collectables.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Once again, I'm not analyzing thier value as video game collectables.... But as sports collectables.

Yeah, I do think there are sports nerds who collect the Madden games just for the cover athlete, for example.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Unfortunately, this is the price companies pay for trying to satisfy the average consumer at all costs.

The Realistic sports simulators have a number of problems that make these type of games age very prematurely:
  • They usually don't have a plot: so the fiction never leaves the screen, to remain inside the players' heads even after they have stopped playing, moreover, for this same reason, the atmosphere and the settings never change, because the protagonist teams and the most famous stadiums are always the same in the end.
  • The characters although based on real people, within the fiction they have a practically non-existent personality and in fact sometimes, for obvious technical reasons do not even have their own personal voice actor: nor do they have dialogues or lines that then remain within of the popular culture. For example, if to a person who has played 'Metal Gear Solid', I say 'Kept you waiting, huh?' He understands immediately what I'm referring to.

• Some sports simulators I've seen didn't even have soundtracks: there was just the buzz of the audience and the talk of the commentators.
  • There is then the conclusive problem that being of the titles based on a sport game really existing, the playability of base never changes: there will not be therefore never a net detachment as between 'KOF '95' (which is based on the blows launched on the medium/long distance) and 'KOF '98' (which has been predisposed for close combat based on combinations).

The only thing that changes between one chapter and another of a realistic sports series is only the graphical improvement and the replacement of players, which can still be reproduced through customizations and the acquisition of official licenses by the company itself: for this reason people have no collecting interest in this type of games.
This is the weirdest analysis of sports games I've ever read

Reactions: jro

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
We've done a couple corporate moves in the last 10 years. We didn't have to touch anything but we did pack up some personal things and most valuables. There was a master list of all boxes with bar code labels. I think they got paid by the bar code because I've found broom handles with a bar code and pieces of lumber...
It took a full 53' semi, things were stacked up to the ceiling and a 26' box truck. We were responsible for moving the horses, animals & hay. They had the house inventoried, packed & loaded in 3 days. There were 5 guys for the whole start to finish. They brought a 16' truck with just new boxes, tape & wrapping paper. At the new house, the guys would unload boxes into the appropriately labeled room and I think part of the contract was they would "open" 10% of the boxes. They would reassemble all unassembled furniture.
Any issues with damage or broken items would be noted and insurance would get involved. There was a list of any item over $250 noted as "High Value".
Moving from Cincinnati to Nashville area was about 60k. When we moved back it was more...

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Mr. Karate said some truths though. But sports games aren't all yearly licensed cash grabs, at least they weren't a decade or two before.

There are plenty of sports games with character, you just have to be into them. International Superstar Soccer and ISS Deluxe aren't going to break anyone's bank (at least everything except a boxed SNES ISSD) but there's plenty of demand for them because it's a damn fun game and probably the best 2D soccer game (cue yuropeans getting sensible over Sensible Soccer). On Pro Evolution Soccer there was a team of generic C-grade players with ludicrous names (Castolo, Ivarov, Espimas, Ximelez) you can start with for your Division B team in Master League mode (the equivalent of Football Manager but you actually control the matches), but the game is so affectionately remembered, the players became memorable. Etc., etc. etc. I guess another example outside of soccer is Tecmo Bowl but I couldn't tell since I don't follow the sport, and that's usually how it is for external observers with those games.

EDIT: ah yes, the use of the word "simulator" is a classic mistake as a lot of games used to be as arcade as it gets, and this is what makes the modern Maddens not very appealing. Simulation is boring, especially when it's an obsolete simulation.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
So far everything is going pretty good. About 90 percent of my games are moved. All my action figures and books are moved. When the last day comes it will only be furniture and the Big Red. I've used A lot of the suggestions and it's made my life much easier. Thanks gents! I'll post a pic of the new game room once everything is all set up.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Moving is done. Everything survived including Big Red. I'd forgotten how heavy she was. Thanks for all of the suggestions. They helped a lot and made the whole process easier.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Moving is done. Everything survived including Big Red. I'd forgotten how heavy she was. Thanks for all of the suggestions. They helped a lot and made the whole process easier.
I'll have to take these suggestions as well since I'm moving next month. Glad to hear your stuff is alright

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'll have to take these suggestions as well since I'm moving next month. Glad to hear your stuff is alright
Thank you and good luck to you brudda!