Multiple harness solution?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I have a Neo Candy 25 arcade cabinet which has it's harness wired as an MVS. I have a BigRed adapter from JAMMANationX, but I am wondering - is there a simple (read novice) solution to have more than one JAMMA harness set up?

Here's my situation, I'm trying to figure out how to connect a board that is essentially CHAMMA. It's that Dreamcast MGCD. I've tried a ton f stuff to try and get this to work and I'm just trying to see if there's any other way I can try to get this to work until I truly lose interest and sell the thing. I was able to get a 'custom' harness built by someone that will allow the controls to work, but it's a complete harness replacement. I don't want to replace my Neo25 harness. I want to leave the cab as stock as possible. Would it be possible to maybe solder all of the leads on this extra harness to a finger board, thus creating an extension?

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
You can totally do what you described with an interconnect harness. By far the cleanest solution. Definitely don't replace original wiring, especially for Chamma. Fingerboard PCBs are pretty cheap on ebay and the like, you could buy a Jamma harness and lop the end of it and solder the wires to a fingerboard.

For example, here's an official harness to connect an Aero City cab to JAMMA:

Original-Sega-Aero-City-Wiring-Harness-Jamma-Arcade.jpg

There's PCB-only solutions too if you don't want a flexible cable between, I've never tried it though:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
See that's what I'm saying! I got an extension harness the other day but it didn't end up working. The one I have coming was a custom job for the MGCD, but hes telling me I need to replace my entire harness. I figured I could do exactly that. This is good news.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
See that's what I'm saying! I got an extension harness the other day but it didn't end up working. The one I have coming was a custom job for the MGCD, but hes telling me I need to replace my entire harness. I figured I could do exactly that. This is good news.

Unless there's something I'm not thinking of, it should work fine. You'll be missing some buttons 'cause it's a Candy 25, maybe that's what they're thinking of? But wires are wires, if they're connecting to the right places with no interference I'm not sure why you'd have any problems.

EDIT: What about the current extension isn't working? Are you sure the MGCD is working?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The MGCD not working has crossed my mind. In fact I think you even mentioned it in the thread I started about it. Im going to be sending it to XianXi to test at some point, but I was able to come upon another one for a pretty cheap price. So I figured, I can have a 'control' version of it. The video I saw of the thing shows it's working.

As far as missing buttons, here's my setup. I know I said I wanted to keep the cab stock, but I did add 3 "kick" buttons to the control panel. So I have a total of 7 buttons. A, B, C and D for the Neo, so it looks like this:

buttons.PNG

I also have an Atlas that XianXi made that allows me to 'convert' depending on if I have a Capcom/etc board, or an MVS connected. I just have a kick harness for.. well.. the kicks lol.

At this point, it's more of a principal thing. I want to get it working. Even if the only buttons that work are A B and C for Shmups on the DC that's fine w me.

Edit: I didnt answer your question about the current extension. I tried doing what several people said with the grounds, and it didn't work. That kinda makes me think its the MGCD, but since Im such a novice, it's easy to assume I screwed something up.