MUSHA Composer (Toshiaki Sakoda) to visit the US

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
I'm sure many of you are already friends with Toshiaki Sakoda on facebook. For those of you who don't know him, he's the composer for a number of Compile games, including MUSHA, Devil's Crush, and Treasure Hunter G.

Recently he posted on Facebook, "When I take the United States tour, please put someone up." I told him that I have a guest bedroom, and that I speak some Japanese. Well that transformed into what is now weekly Skype meetings to just bullshit and talk about a possible trip to the US.

Currently he's thinking February or March. If we set something up, would any of you guys be interested in coming up to Minnesota to jam with us?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
fuck, wish I lived in Minn. I bet he's all kinds of badass.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I'm sure many of you are already friends with Toshiaki Sakoda on facebook. For those of you who don't know him, he's the composer for a number of Compile games, including MUSHA, Devil's Crush, and Treasure Hunter G.

Recently he posted on Facebook, "When I take the United States tour, please put someone up." I told him that I have a guest bedroom, and that I speak some Japanese. Well that transformed into what is now weekly Skype meetings to just bullshit and talk about a possible trip to the US.

Currently he's thinking February or March. If we set something up, would any of you guys be interested in coming up to Minnesota to jam with us?

Awesome. Your Skype screencaps with him are pretty rad too.

Do you know yet if he's visiting other states or just MN at this point?

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
I wish I could go, I enjoy Toshi's pics with you guys skyping.
He is one of the most charismatic guys I know. I love how he is so in sync with his fans
This is (George Arthur) by the way!

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I can get him a show booked in Philadephia. Dude is seriously great, and the King of FM composing! @JimKGB...crazy what him liking our T-Shirt has snowballed into-right?

@BigPanda, well done!! To be a cultural ambassador to a childhood hero...fucking ace, dude!

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Awesome. Your Skype screencaps with him are pretty rad too.

Do you know yet if he's visiting other states or just MN at this point?

He said he is thinking about visiting Ohio because some fans out there have contacted him but I haven't heard anything more about that. He does have a friend in California (I haven't asked where exactly) that he wants to visit. So we'll see what happens. I'm just trying to figure out what will work out here.

He wants to have a sort of competition with games he's composed for, notably MUSHA and Devil's Crush. He's expecting we'd get somewhere around 50 people to compete but I am really not sure that is going to happen. Logistically, we'd have to find a place to host, and would have to hype it up, but how many people outside of sites like this know who he is by name alone? That I don't know yet.

He's talked with me about a number of things that have been interesting. A) He did some music work for Final Fantasy V, but a lot of his stuff was ghostwriting back then so he has no credits in the game itself, but a lot of stuff from his time doing games like that. B) Devil's Crush on the PC Engine is "better" than the one on Mega Drive, because he did the whole soundtrack for that, and there are other tracks on the Mega Drive version that he didn't do. C) Yes, he smokes.

Anyone care to post the screencaps?

The guy in the first two pictures is my buddy, Alex. He's a bigger nerd than any of the MN crew (Jeneki, confirm?) but he refuses to have a facebook or online presence whatsoever. You may know him from here, my favorite thread on this site.

12122781_1508262476154882_98674346873959777_n.jpg

12049735_1511031879211275_996152375618311341_n.jpg

12191661_1513259518988511_4395061548169140185_n.jpg

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hell yeah, that's freaking awesome. Legendary dudes unite!

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
@JimKGB...crazy what him liking our T-Shirt has snowballed into-right?

Word. I doubt he would mind if I posted this, but this blew my mind with a lot of warm and fuzzies to know he was sporting the shirt we sent him. ;)

C3OSQv4.png

One of the best 1CC Tee ads evah!

He said he is thinking about visiting Ohio because some fans out there have contacted him but I haven't heard anything more about that.

Ahhh, yeah. I think the Warpzone dudes have a connection with him. Thanks for kicking off what I hope ends up being a fun US tour for him!

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I'm moving to Ohio over the next month. I would be down as fuck to drive to Minnesota in March and meet up.

I tried to meet him when I was in Tokyo this past July, but he was in Hiroshima at the time and I wasn't able to get away.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I'm moving to Ohio over the next month. I would be down as fuck to drive to Minnesota in March and meet up.

I tried to meet him when I was in Tokyo this past July, but he was in Hiroshima at the time and I wasn't able to get away.

If you're driving - road trip!

neighbor :D

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
This is amazingly awesome. For the only time in my life I'm jealous I don't live in MN.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Very interesting. You should host a meet centered around him and the games he's worked on. Hell, I might even do the 8 hour one way drive, provided my WRX doesn't need a lift kit to drive around up there.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Oh my god. Musha is literally my favorite soundtrack of all time. That's awesome you guys know him now. I'd be down there in a second if I lived nearby.

Long shot but would you mind if I mail you my Japanese copy of Musha so he can sign it if you guys ever had a meet? That would be so epic. Not to flip it, just to enjoy.

PS: Thanks for prompting me to dig this out today and make a run through it:
unnamed (2).jpg

-Mike

Last edited:

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
I could get him booked in St. Louis, Missouri, if he wants to do a show. Do you know if he'd be interested in doing any live musical performances? I could get an event set up in an art gallery that does larger concerts. They've done game music related events in the past, namely Bit Brigade.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Very cool that you're meeting the man behind MUSHA. Here's a custom Genesis music player for MUSHA that I made for the Genesis VGM Music Project, which is a project with the goal of honoring and bringing attention to the great VGM composers like Sakoda.

The players open as a stand-alone music players that boot on real hardware and emulators. MUSHA in particular sounds incredible through headphones on a Nomad. There is also a player for Sakoda's Dragon's Fury (Devil's Crush).

MUSHA_Player.png

Last edited:

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
I could get him booked in St. Louis, Missouri, if he wants to do a show. Do you know if he'd be interested in doing any live musical performances? I could get an event set up in an art gallery that does larger concerts. They've done game music related events in the past, namely Bit Brigade.

Uh oh, you talking about Luminary? I still haven't been to the new one.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
He's expecting we'd get somewhere around 50 people to compete but I am really not sure that is going to happen.

As far as I know, I have the Musha western (world?) record. I will show him how great USA is.

EDIT: 1cc shirts represent

Last edited:

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
It would be cool if you could get him to come in around April to do a show for Midwest Gaming Classic or something.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Uh oh, you talking about Luminary? I still haven't been to the new one.

Yep, I do events there from time to time. Bands of mine play there too, from time to time. I'm good friends with the person who is currently in charge of events booking.