MV-1A Consolisation Musings & Questions

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
Hello!

I have some general musings and questions on the art of MV-1A Consolisation.

Here are my musings so far, with questions, where appropriate;

Power LED - solder wires to left side of board (replaces the small power LED already on the board) :)

Power Switch - pretty self explanatory :)

Power Socket - where to connect the +5v from power supply? MV-1A uses +5v only with no modification? (I know theres C, D, 3, 4 on the Jamma connector for +5v, but I would like to trace back from the Jamma and make it neat.. but where is the best point, I can't seem to trace back from here..) :oh_no:

AV Socket for RGB SCART - Red Video, Green Video, Blue Video, Composite Sync, +5v, Audio Mono, Ground. (the problem I am having here.. is the board mono only, and its not possible to mod to make it stereo? if I turn down the sound using the pot next to the amp, is that OK without having to use an audio attenuation circuit?) :oh_no:

P1 Controller Port - pretty self explanatory, however in the MV-1A manual it says !P PUSH 1, 1P PUSH 2, 1P PUSH 3, 1P PUSH 4 - what buttons on the Neo geo controllers do these correspond to? :oh_no:

P2 Controller Port - ditto.

Audio/Composite out sockets - are these even necessary? :multi_co:

Unibios 2.3 - slot right in, I suppose. :)

AUDIO - what the frig? do I need an audio attenuation circuit, or can I just turn the pot down?? :oh_no:

Misc switches;

Are all of these necessary or are some made redundant by the unibios?

Coin 1 - momentary
Coin 2 - momentary
Service - momentary
Test - momentary

:oh_no:

Advice? heh. thanks.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Power Socket - where to connect the +5v from power supply? MV-1A uses +5v only with no modification? (I know theres C, D, 3, 4 on the Jamma connector for +5v, but I would like to trace back from the Jamma and make it neat.. but where is the best point, I can't seem to trace back from here..) :oh_no:

when building my supergun i ran one or two +5 volt lines to the jamma connector and ran 5 volt from the jamma connector to video etc so if no jamma board connected no power to video converter.

AV Socket for RGB SCART - Red Video, Green Video, Blue Video, Composite Sync, +5v, Audio Mono, Ground. (the problem I am having here.. is the board mono only, and its not possible to mod to make it stereo? if I turn down the sound using the pot next to the amp, is that OK without having to use an audio attenuation circuit?) :oh_no:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_qkuiJgJSxI0/RwdW2hzm3rI/AAAAAAAAACM/_5PuVrm8m3Y/s1600-h/sound.PNG

P1 Controller Port - pretty self explanatory, however in the MV-1A manual it says !P PUSH 1, 1P PUSH 2, 1P PUSH 3, 1P PUSH 4 - what buttons on the Neo geo controllers do these correspond to? :oh_no:

joystick up down etc

Audio/Composite out sockets - are these even necessary? :multi_co:
i did it on mine

Unibios 2.3 - slot right in, I suppose. :)
get one from raz its a good investment

AUDIO - what the frig? do I need an audio attenuation circuit, or can I just turn the pot down?? :oh_no:
yes you need one its included in the above diagram

Are all of these necessary or are some made redundant by the unibios?

Coin 1 - momentary
Coin 2 - momentary
Service - momentary
Test - momentary

ive had hard time adding these. i believe we need to add them

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For the +5v you can run the wire under the board to either pin C or D.

As far as an attenuated circuit you really dont need one since you're not using +12v so the audio will already be a low level on the output.

For stereo I am sure it has the same audio circuits as the MV1FZ so you can most likely use something like this:
http://www.neobitz.com/Pages/Mods/MV1FZ-S.aspx

You do not need coin buttons as the unibios on default lets you add coins by pressing select for 1 slot boards. You can also access the test menu through the unibios as well.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Does the select game up and down for 2-6 slot work threw unibios also? im trying to remember

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You don't need an attenuation circuit.

Push 1,2,3,4 just means A,B,C,D. The numbers are usually used for jamma diagrams. Select is basically "push 5."

werejag said:
Does the select game up and down for 2-6 slot work threw unibios also? im trying to remember
Yes. In MVS and even in AES mode.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
ok i wont have to come up with space on my neogeo supergun

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
Thanks for the very helpful posts guys, I'm much clearer on what to do.

However for the stereo mod, the resistors are labelled differently, and positioned differently on my MV-1A.

I have R73-R80.

Does anyone know specifically which two resistors are for the stereo signals, and which resistor is for the analog audio which has to be recombined?

So Push 1 = A
Push 2 = B
Push 3 = C
Push 4 = D
?

So I suppose no momentary switches are needed, because the unibios does away with the need for them?

Oh and one last thing, im a little confused, on the pinout for the 56 pin connector, there doesn't seem to be a pin for "SELECT" button?

Cheers fellas :glee:

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
Oh shit, I just realised I need to remove a couple of resistors for the stereo audio mod too.. anyone know what all the numbers on the MV-1A correspond to on Jeff Kurtz MV1FZ guide? Cheers :buttrock:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
chaoticjelly said:
So I suppose no momentary switches are needed, because the unibios does away with the need for them?

Correct, for 1 slots you do not need coin buttons as the unibios makes the select button work as a coin button, for multi slot boards(2,4,6) it works as the game select button.

chaoticjelly said:
Oh and one last thing, im a little confused, on the pinout for the 56 pin connector, there doesn't seem to be a pin for "SELECT" button

The select button is the pin right after "Push 4" for each player. Like Neo Alec said it's basically "Push 5".

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
chaoticjelly said:
So select is D, and 26 ? these pins are listed in the manual with no connection..

They are for multi slots - select up and down.

mvssound.bmp

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The best place to tap the Ground and +5v is on the LED connectors.

Tap the RGB from the resistor array behind the pins.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
The best place to tap the Ground and +5v is on the LED connectors.

Yeah, too bad the LED on 1-slots is connected across 5v and 12v, not ground...:glee:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
MKL said:
Yeah, too bad the LED on 1-slots is connected across 5v and 12v, not ground...:glee:

Then the other connector then...

Been a while...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
ttooddddyy said:
For one slots you do not need a select button, there is nothing to select.

I explained the reason.

Xian Xi said:
Correct, for 1 slots you do not need coin buttons as the unibios makes the select button work as a coin button, for multi slot boards(2,4,6) it works as the game select button.

You also need a select button to bring up the unibios in game menu.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
ttooddddyy said:
For one slots you do not need a select button, there is nothing to select.
You need the select button for AES mode to pause.

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
I'm confused about SELECT on 1-slot and multi-slot.

When I said "select" I meant Select Button, on the controller.

From whats written above, these pins on a 1-slot provide the Select Button.

On a multi-slot, it is SELECT cartridge slot?

So how does one get Select Button, on a multi-slot?

Or am I totally confused :lol:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
chaoticjelly said:
I'm confused about SELECT on 1-slot and multi-slot.

When I said "select" I meant Select Button, on the controller.

From whats written above, these pins on a 1-slot provide the Select Button.

On a multi-slot, it is SELECT cartridge slot?

So how does one get Select Button, on a multi-slot?

Or am I totally confused :lol:

On a 1 slot board with a Unibios the select button adds coins and it is also needed to bring up the in game menu(start+select), you can also use the unibios in game menu as a pause feature as well.

On a 2,4,6 slot board the select button is used to change the game.

So in short, wire up the select button. Pin 26 for 1st player's select button and d for 2nd player's select button.

I hope it's clear now.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
It is confusing, but the important thing to understand is that whether using it to select games on the multi-slot boards, or using it to pause in AES mode, it's all the same select button, so wire it up.

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
Excellent Neo Alec. Thats much clearer now..

I was just wondering if anyone knows which resistors for the MV1A to do the stereo mod? They are numbered differently to Xians guide..

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Xian Xi said:
I explained the reason.

You also need a select button to bring up the unibios in game menu.

Sorry missed that, Im thinking a dedicated one slot cab has no select button.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
ttooddddyy said:
Sorry missed that, Im thinking a dedicated one slot cab has no select button.

Ya I was really confused when I saw a 1 slot cab with a select button, turns out the guy had a unibios installed. Totally threw me off.

Of course if you are not going to have a unibios, you do not need a select button. So I would use the select button for the coin button.