MV1 won't exit hardware test.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Hello, I've an MV1 board that will not accept soft dip changes.

I put in Slug X, accessed the soft dips to change blood to color red, and rebooted to play with red blood. After this, the board will not exit the soft dip screen unless I do a backup clear from the hardware test.

This was using a US bios. I installed unibios V1.1 and experienced the same problem with not playing the game, being stuck in the hardware test.

The board plays fine after clearing the backup, with white blood and default settings.

All dips are turned off. I can't seem to find a reason why the board is doing this.
Does anyone know something that I don't?

Amakusashiro666

, , Simon Says:, "Ban Me!"
Thats a weird problem for sure. The only MV-1 I ever had had a problem with KOF94 where when playing in single player the cpu all during a fight would just do weak punch during the whole match. Just stand there and do weak punch rapidly. Maybe they just dont like certain games? ? ?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I'm wondering if the battery on the MV-1 is dying or dead, maybe the backup ram is currupting when you reset causing the problem. Also give your cart contacts a good clean.

Raz

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Slug X is the only game that has this problem. I shall do the pencil eraser cleaning on the contacts this afternoon and see if that helps.

Thanks for your input, Raz and Amakusa.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Also, is it only the blood setting thats causing this or are any softdip changes causing the same problem?

What I also don't understand is that all of the softdip setting code is controlled by the Bios. There is nothing that would stop one from exiting the softdip screen back to the main testmode menu unless button 'c' stopped responding.

When you tried with the universe bios, when did it jump to the hardware test screen, before or after the universe bios splash screen appears?

Raz

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Razoola said:
Also, is it only the blood setting thats causing this or are any softdip changes causing the same problem?

What I also don't understand is that all of the softdip setting code is controlled by the Bios. There is nothing that would stop one from exiting the softdip screen back to the main testmode menu unless button 'c' stopped responding.

When you tried with the universe bios, when did it jump to the hardware test screen, before or after the universe bios splash screen appears?

Raz

Thanks for the response.

I will try other softdip settings and see what happens.

Using the universe bios, the hardware test screen is displayed after the splash screen.

I tried using another MV1 that I own and got the exact same results with the US bios and unibios.

All I can think of is that it is a problem with the game or the supergun.

I will double check the voltage levels from the power supply this evening.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
Thanks for the response.

I will try other softdip settings and see what happens.

Using the universe bios, the hardware test screen is displayed after the splash screen.

I tried using another MV1 that I own and got the exact same results with the US bios and unibios.

All I can think of is that it is a problem with the game or the supergun.

I will double check the voltage levels from the power supply this evening.

It sounds like it could actually be protection because the crosshatch should normally come before the unibios splash screen. If not then the game is forcing a jump there for some reason.

Raz

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Given that it only misbehaves with Slug X, I could believe that it is the model of motherboard I am using.

Both of my boards are MV1's and are among the earliest I believe.

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
Open up the game, and make sure it's not a boot. (post pics here if unsure.)

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Lime2K said:
Open up the game, and make sure it's not a boot. (post pics here if unsure.)

It's in a clear case, I've inspected it, and I bought it from a reputable seller so I'm confident it isn't a boot.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
UPDATE:

I had a jaunt through Magical Drop 2 and noticed a lot of noise coming from the speakers.

On a hunch I re-checked my voltages and found the +12V too high and the +5V too low.

I adjusted them accordingly and now Slug X works fine along with the sound. :)