MV1B battery options

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I've searched everywhere, but it seems that all options, links are outdated now.

Is there a coin battery holder or non-rechargeable battery with the correct leg spacing to fit this board available anywhere?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Probably should mention this...

If you decide to drill new holes to fit a smaller vertical coin cell holder on an MV-1B, IIRC the top of the PCB in that area is GND, the underside is 5v. There's a big risk of shorting 5v to GND in such a mod.

Can't remember exactly the polarity of the battery socket, haven't had an MV-1B in forever. But long story short, the top is GND or 5v, the underside is the opposite, where the battery is.

Yrouel

n00b
What's the spacing between the positive and negative pins (the diagonal ones if that makes sense)?
I think potentially either one of these might fit (5mm pin pitch): EECS5R5H155 or EECF5R5U155.

I'm suggesting super capacitors so you won't need to modify the charging circuit and they are pretty much an install and forget solution.

EDIT: I found out that the spacing is about 8mm so the two options I linked above aren't the best. However I was looking on digikey and I found few more options with a better matching pin spacing (I would go for the 2.2F one): http://www.digikey.com/short/3qw34z

Last edited:

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I finally got around to measuring the spacing - around 8mm. Yrouel - thanks for the suggestions.

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
If you get some one of the vertical style 2032 holders, you can lay it on it's side like I did. I just bent the pins on the bottom, put the ground leg in one hole, and used a thick piece of a diode leg I trimmed to connect the positive line. Also put a small dab of hot glue under the holder just to really secure it.

You'll probably have to trim a tiny bit of plastic off the edge where it sticks out there though. It's worked really well for me so far.

Be sure to check out what components you'll need to remove if you chose to use a non-rechargeable battery. You can see the guide link here;

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html

*sorry for shitty pics, the lighting in my office is super bright, and my phone sucks.

Attachments

• IMAG2374.jpg
    IMAG2374.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG2375.jpg
    IMAG2375.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 51