MV1B1 from Aliexpress - prepare to not be surprised

hatmoose

Kuroko's Training Dummy
This one came to me for repair from a buddy who had bravely (foolishly?) bought it off Aliexpress
It's now actually not much cheaper to buy these off Ali than it is to find a reputable seller off eBay. But could be some fun and learning to be had fixing it, so I said I'd take a look.

IMG_1293.jpeg

It had some battery damage that looks like it has been repaired, as well as that weird thing Aliexpress sellers do where they remove the NEO-BUF chip off the slot board and replace it with a bypass... thing.
IMG_1294.jpegIMG_1295.jpeg

It actually boots OK and will display test patterns and play sound (bulgy caps and all) so that was a surprise
IMG_1299.jpegIMG_1296.jpeg

And it even boots games to the splash screen
IMG_1301.jpeg

When the game code starts is where things start to go wrong.
Text and overlay seems to be OK, Sounds and music are OK (despite those bulging caps)
No sprites, no backgrounds. On some games it will draw the outlines of sprites (spinmasters) or the shadows of backgrounds (metalslug) or weirdly the bottom few lines (puzzle bobble)
IMG_1306.jpegIMG_1303.jpegIMG_1302.jpeg

So this one is a bit weird, its not complaining about video ram, or palette ram on boot, just doesn't display any video or palette data...
I don't think there was any malice on the part of the Aliexpress seller, the repairs they carried out look reasonably tidy, and I guess their pile of ewaste for repair and quick sale to westerners is huge. As soon as the game boots to splash screen they probably call it good enough and move on to the next one.

Unfortunately I don't have an easy way to get the diag bios onto this one, so I'm thinking I'll unwind and check the repairs that were already done, give the customs the push hard test, then start probing the nearby area for continuity.

Anyone seen something like this before? I've seen lots of watchdog, and lots of glitchy sprites/backgrounds, but never just plain... missing

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
It had some battery damage that looks like it has been repaired, as well as that weird thing Aliexpress sellers do where they remove the NEO-BUF chip off the slot board and replace it with a bypass... thing.
replacing the NEO-BUF with jumpers can work according to the NeoGeoDev wiki on the MVB for GA1, I'm sure you're aware:

but then the signals aren't extra buffered

proper replacements can be bought:

I'd say the battery acid damage is the biggest problem at the moment, the BackupRAM should be screwed, as is tradition.. plenty of rotten traces on the pic with the battery

Not being able to quickly switch the BIOS will slow you down and potentially miss problems.
There is an adapter, but you probably know that as well.

One can buy these MVS on ebay here in Europe as well, half rotten with multiple failed repair attempts, no need to go to china for that :D
I prefer to buy them in bulk once in blue moon for parts and close to 10-15 bucks each.

If more than the battery area has these massively rotten traces, personally I'd consider it for parts only, lots of work to get this fixed and chances are high the rott won't stop, could be a boomerang when selling it

Edit:

check if the watchdog hasn't been disabled

(see the pic)

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Ten bucks says there is at least one trace that broke connection from the corrosion. Which is always the worst because hunting down continuity on traces drives me nuts. So small…pathing them out is a real test

glac81

n00b
This one came to me for repair from a buddy who had bravely (foolishly?) bought it off Aliexpress
It's now actually not much cheaper to buy these off Ali than it is to find a reputable seller off eBay. But could be some fun and learning to be had fixing it, so I said I'd take a look.

View attachment 58530

View attachment 58529View attachment 58528

It actually boots OK and will display test patterns and play sound (bulgy caps and all) so that was a surprise
View attachment 58526View attachment 58527

And it even boots games to the splash screen
View attachment 58525

When the game code starts is where things start to go wrong.
Text and overlay seems to be OK, Sounds and music are OK (despite those bulging caps)
No sprites, no backgrounds. On some games it will draw the outlines of sprites (spinmasters) or the shadows of backgrounds (metalslug) or weirdly the bottom few lines (puzzle bobble)
View attachment 58522View attachment 58523View attachment 58524

So this one is a bit weird, its not complaining about video ram, or palette ram on boot, just doesn't display any video or palette data...
I don't think there was any malice on the part of the Aliexpress seller, the repairs they carried out look reasonably tidy, and I guess their pile of ewaste for repair and quick sale to westerners is huge. As soon as the game boots to splash screen they probably call it good enough and move on to the next one.

Unfortunately I don't have an easy way to get the diag bios onto this one, so I'm thinking I'll unwind and check the repairs that were already done, give the customs the push hard test, then start probing the nearby area for continuity.

Anyone seen something like this before? I've seen lots of watchdog, and lots of glitchy sprites/backgrounds, but never just plain... missing
I am having problems too with a mv1c from Aliexpress. Bios works, games are working (almost), but I have slowdowns on super sidekicks 3 and major slowdowns on super sidekicks 2 (kof 98 went well). I have modded the pcb for neobiosmasta. Diagnostic bios gave all ok status, but I will run the tests one by one to double check them. Not a good idea to buy from them (should be obvious, but we are stubborn).