MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
How about:

I REALLY, REALLY hope my wife has ordered this for me for Christmas. I'm going to cry on Christmas day if this isn't under the tree...

Jeff

LOL! I would be looking for a divorce, never name crying! Make sure you keep mentioning it to her, and just how important it is - compare it to how important your marriage is (so she gets an idea of the significance!!!) =D

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Thanks Raz for the good work, this is all great news and best of luck with Neo Geo Land, I'm looking forward to it.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
PCB layout and design.

Everything looks very clean and nicely spaced from what I can see. There are two connectors which connect the PROG and CHA boards together on both edges. These connectors are really strong and once joined they hold both PCB's in parallel very well, much better than I first imagined to be honest. Once connected the PROG and CHA PCB's are spaced perfectly and ready to fit into the Neo Geo cartridge slot. The opposite end of both PCB's has a JTAG connector but this is something that will probably never be used.

I cannot really comment on the component side of things as this is not my area of expertise so instead here are some snaps of the PCB's for your enjoyment.

prog-f.jpg

prog-b.jpg

cha-f.jpg

cha-b.jpg

I have discovered one small issue with the SDcard socket location that may hinder a couple of DEV's only. This is the fact that on some MVS systems the SDcard cannot be accessed while the NeoSD is plugged in. The problem is the black plastic (or metal) MVS cartridge guide blocks the access. This means the NeoSD needs to be unplugged to get to the SD card. For the vast majority this is a non-issue given most will simply insert the SDcard into the NeoSD SDcard and there it will say (only being removed very rarely). For Me? Well I need access a little more often... My solution was a journey to the shed to find my trusty hacksaw and a minute later problem solved. I could have simply removed the guide by unscrewing it but that was too easy.

hackaday.jpg

Anyone in the MVS cleaning business btw?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Don't you have a dremel Raz?... I might send you one for Xmas man...

GEEZ... worse hardware mod evar...

xROTx

PS. Thank you for your continued work Raz...

EDIT: Jeff has asked me to look into the fact that you haven't tested those games... /thug4hireTe...

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Jeff, Both Vliner and Jockey GP will work but you need a UniBios to add credits via the cheat. Super Bubble Pop is not yet converted by the NeoBuilder tool but it is planned to be added.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
One of the games I'm curious about is SamShoV Special. There are sound problems when playing in MAME, a repro cart, or any of the multi carts. Due to inaccurate emulation of the neo pcm2.

Raz, if you have time. I would be interested in knowing if this issue also happens with the NeoSD. I have included a short 9sec video I recorded awhile ago. If you listen to when the announcer says "Basara", at the end of the name there is a distortion/pop noise. This happens on everything except a real cart.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
One of the games I'm curious about is SamShoV Special. There are sound problems when playing in MAME, a repro cart, or any of the multi carts. Due to inaccurate emulation of the neo pcm2.

Raz, if you have time. I would be interested in knowing if this issue also happens with the NeoSD. I have included a short 9sec video I recorded awhile ago. If you listen to when the announcer says "Basara", at the end of the name there is a distortion/pop noise. This happens on everything except a real cart.

I have just had a listen to this and the situation does happen also on the NeoSD. I'm 99% sure the issue is a badly dumped V1 or V2 ROM. I'll ask NTM is he can redump both if he has the cart as I looked a little more and I'm now 99.9% sure its a bad dump.

Last edited:

cyd

New Challenger
Le sigh... transaction blocked by bank... called bank, was told that yes they stopped the transaction, it was "fraud prevention", thanked them for their protection, proved to them that yes it is me on the phone, yes I'm making an international purchase, please allow this transaction, and then was told "no we will not allow the transaction"... Now awaiting a call back from a "manager"... time will tell.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Le sigh... transaction blocked by bank... called bank, was told that yes they stopped the transaction, it was "fraud prevention", thanked them for their protection, proved to them that yes it is me on the phone, yes I'm making an international purchase, please allow this transaction, and then was told "no we will not allow the transaction"... Now awaiting a call back from a "manager"... time will tell.

I'd be like "bitch you trying to stop me from neo bliss?!?!"

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I have just had a listen to this and the situation does happen also on the NeoSD. I'm 99% sure the issue is a badly dumped V1 or V2 ROM. I'll ask NTM is he can redump both if he has the cart as I looked a little more and I'm now 99.9% sure its a bad dump.

Thanks Raz! I was hoping in the back of my mind that wouldn't be the case. Its kinda scary to thick about what other bad dumps might be out there. :S

neosd

Neosd Developer

Story of my life :(

Ten days dealing with our bank to get rid of all rules to block USA transactions we had setup (by them).
Now we got the rules removed and have this drama with USA banks, same story, different banks.

Monday we are going look to enable bank transfer, so people that can´t purchase with credit card, can pay this way atleast.

Really sorry for the issue :(

cyd

New Challenger
I'd be like "bitch you trying to stop me from neo bliss?!?!"

I tried that! that's how I got placed in queue to speak to a manager... and they still haven't called back... I mean come on its been a whole 20 minutes!!! ;P

cyd

New Challenger
Story of my life :(
Really sorry for the issue :(

Not your issue Neosd! You have been doing your due diligence as fas as I can tell. I've had ... difficulties... with this bank for years now. This may be the one that makes me finally switch to a different bank.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
At least your bank are questioning it on the right day! My bank blocked subsequent transactions but allowed the Neo SD to go through. Only when I tried using my card the following day was it blocked! I wouldn't mind but in my case they let an 'out of the ordinary' transaction through and stopped something that I buy regularly lol.

grandmascrack

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Raz's review and getting the case with my preorder sealed the deal. I didn't have any purchasing problems using a Citi MasterCard, if that helps anyone.

tcdev

NEST Puppet
I think I've got little choice now except to order one of these, else I'll be the only person without one soon.

@neosd: When do pre-orders end? I'm waiting on my accountant to finish my books so I know what I owe the tax office and if there's anything left to buy a flash cart! :(

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I think I've got little choice now except to order one of these, else I'll be the only person without one soon.

@neosd: When do pre-orders end? I'm waiting on my accountant to finish my books so I know what I owe the tax office and if there's anything left to buy a flash cart! :(

Wondering about this as well. I intend on purchasing it, but the money won't be available for a couple weeks.

By the way, for people complaining about their banks rejecting their transactions, this is actually a good thing. Many identity thieves will attempt to do overseas transactions. My account got exposed to that twice and my credit union stopped it in its tracks.

Just call your bank or credit union and let them know what's up.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I know, I tried ordering once with a card I stole from Panda, it won't go through.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Teddy like.

Thanks for the thorough testing, Raz.

leonk

Marked Wolf
Hey Raz. I know this thread is wild.. are you able to answer my mame question a few posts back? or you just never compared it?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I missed you post. MAME is very powerfull and by far the most accurate NeoGeo emulator but it is still not the same as running on the real hardware as many NeoGeo homebrew devs will know. MAME can allow MSX to pass the unibios check I believe but some aspects which allow that to happen are simulated and it is not known if what MAME does is 100% correct. That also goes for some things MAME does in other NeoGeo games too, some of this will be mentioned in the MAME source code.

Last edited: