MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

atman

n00b
Think neoSD:s menu are a bit more easier to get an hold of.
Wonder if there is or will be support for high scores to save on the SD?

viking

n00b
Think neoSD:s menu are a bit more easier to get an hold of.
Wonder if there is or will be support for high scores to save on the SD?
- [NEW] AES boards can now save the highscores to SD, the same than MVS boards backup ram save.
From NeoSD_firmware_1.06_changelog.txt file

atman

n00b
- [NEW] AES boards can now save the highscores to SD, the same than MVS boards backup ram save.
From NeoSD_firmware_1.06_changelog.txt file

Thanks for the info!

Where do I find firmware changelogs?
Have anyone tried the save feature? Its not listed as a feature on the neosdstore.

atman

n00b
The download section

Thanks for the info, but I'm not a neosd customer yet. (i preordered the ssds3 tho)

From what I understand the neosd can hold its game for years to be able to quickboot.

While DS always copy from SD to DDR every time it boots up? Even if it's seconds, its still a copy being done.

neodev

Neosd Tech
Thanks for the info, but I'm not a neosd customer yet. (i preordered the ssds3 tho)

From what I understand the neosd can hold its game for years to be able to quickboot.

While DS always copy from SD to DDR every time it boots up? Even if it's seconds, its still a copy being done.

Here is the full changelog of 1.06:

- [NEW] Jukebox support. Press Start on "Launch Current Game" to show a menu with the new Jukebox option. Check www.neosdstore.com FAQs section to know how to load song names.
- [NEW] New MVS backup data saving/restoring mode. Backup data can now be continuously saved to the SD card on every game loop, also restored from the SD card when the game boots.
....This method will work even for MVS boards with broken/no battery. The previous method is now called "Game Change" in the options screen.
....Because AES don't have a backup ram, only 2 options are available: Yes (continuous) and No.
- [NEW] Backup data files are now named with the game name, hardware and region, instead of using the game ID. This avoid issues with different versions of the game having different backup ram structures.
Old save files will be automatically updated and renamed to the new format.
- [NEW] MVS mode for AES. You can now play the MVS versions of the games with a stock AES bios, but it has a few differences with actual MVS boards:
....- Games will run in freeplay. The stock AES bios doesn't know about credits and how to increment/decrement them.
....- Games run with demo sound disabled. This value is directly read from the MVS backup ram hardware, that AES boards lack.
....- Running games in USA region doesn't show the "Winners don't use drugs". The stock AES bios doesn't have the code to show that.
....- Games using the bios "how to play" routines will have that screen skipped by NeoSD. This screen needs the bios tiles rom that AES boards lack.
- [NEW] Softdips configuration from game list. Press Start on any game to show a menu with the SoftDip option. This option is only available on MVS boards and MVS mode on AES boards.
....It's mostly useful for MVS mode in AES, as the stock AES bios doesn't have softdip configuration screen.

- [FIX] Timing issues with some boards
- [FIX] CTHD not working on AES boards.
- [FIX] Riding hero slow attract mode in AES.
- [FIX] Region changes to AES are working properly now.

Last edited:

atman

n00b
Here is the full changelog of 1.06:

- [NEW] Jukebox support. Press Start on "Launch Current Game" to show a menu with the new Jukebox option. Check www.neosdstore.com FAQs section to know how to load song names.
- [NEW] New MVS backup data saving/restoring mode. Backup data can now be continuously saved to the SD card on every game loop, also restored from the SD card when the game boots.
....This method will work even for MVS boards with broken/no battery. The previous method is now called "Game Change" in the options screen.
....Because AES don't have a backup ram, only 2 options are available: Yes (continuous) and No.
- [NEW] Backup data files are now named with the game name, hardware and region, instead of using the game ID. This avoid issues with different versions of the game having different backup ram structures.
Old save files will be automatically updated and renamed to the new format.
- [NEW] MVS mode for AES. You can now play the MVS versions of the games with a stock AES bios, but it has a few differences with actual MVS boards:
....- Games will run in freeplay. The stock AES bios doesn't know about credits and how to increment/decrement them.
....- Games run with demo sound disabled. This value is directly read from the MVS backup ram hardware, that AES boards lack.
....- Running games in USA region doesn't show the "Winners don't use drugs". The stock AES bios doesn't have the code to show that.
....- Games using the bios "how to play" routines will have that screen skipped by NeoSD. This screen needs the bios tiles rom that AES boards lack.
- [NEW] Softdips configuration from game list. Press Start on any game to show a menu with the SoftDip option. This option is only available on MVS boards and MVS mode on AES boards.
....It's mostly useful for MVS mode in AES, as the stock AES bios doesn't have softdip configuration screen.

- [FIX] Timing issues with some boards
- [FIX] CTHD not working on AES boards.
- [FIX] Riding hero slow attract mode in AES.
- [FIX] Region changes to AES are working properly now.

Thanks!

I'm quite new to the NG scene and brought a AES this year. Want to get a flashcart and I must say im very impressed with neosd, the ONLY downside is its time to flash games. But I think its the only downside.

Love that it can be booted right in the game like it was an original cart. Highscore and jukebokx are great features.

Planned for a long time to wait for DS, but now I gonna take that back and order a neosd.

atman

n00b
And there I ordered a neoSD AES version.

I waited for DS just to compare which is the best one, and for me the neoSD comes out as the winner of those two.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I just wanted to say thank you for a great product. I ordered a NeoSD MVS off Stone Age Gamer and it's been absolutely perfect! Thank you for bringing this to the community.

atman

n00b
Looks like there Neo SD AES is out of stock. Will this be available again any time soon?

Yep, I'm wondering the same.

I ordered before they went out of stock, wonder if mine will ship anytime soon.
Still order status "payment accepted".

Havent seen any neo-teams active for some days here..

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello,

It will be in stock again, we have placed a new order some weeks ago and factory has both chips and pcbs to solder.
Super SD System 3 delayed everything.

The ones with an active (and payed order) will get theyr AES shipped next week.
New orders will have to wait until we have shipped all Super SD System 3 pending orders. This is why we have put stock to 0, to avoid people purchasing and waiting more than one month to get its unit shipped.

Rave

n00b
Hello Terraonion,

I ordered the neoSD MVS just after xmas, and I just wanted to say thank you for such and amazing product, it far outdid my expectations, and I am now able to play games I could only dream of owning carts for before! thank you :)

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
I've had a NeoSD now for a couple of months and been really enjoying it since switching from my old 161-1 cart. one thing i always wondered though (since the announcement of the NeoSD) is why someone hasn't ever just released a cart (like the 161-1) that plays every single Neo Geo game for say $100-200? seeing how the NeoSD is $400+ and the 161-1 carts are $100 it would be a nice middle ground and a cheaper option.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've had a NeoSD now for a couple of months and been really enjoying it since switching from my old 161-1 cart. one thing i always wondered though (since the announcement of the NeoSD) is why someone hasn't ever just released a cart (like the 161-1) that plays every single Neo Geo game for say $100-200? seeing how the NeoSD is $400+ and the 161-1 carts are $100 it would be a nice middle ground and a cheaper option.

Its very much possible to have such a cart. Why though? that's a good question for the Chinese who made those multis.

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
this is probably a stupid question for those in the know, but how is the NeoSD different to the 161-1 multis? there both a form of emulation and both run on legit hardware.

is it just down to the Neo SD playing legit certified games and running them more authentically whilst the 161 plays hacks/sometimes glitchy versions etc

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
don't have to be in the know, it uses a basic directory. (read changelogs too.)
any and all verified rom dumps, including the possibility of hack roms playing.
neosd is a virtual developers tool as well.
no need to print a pcb to check own coding.
the multi-cards are fixed and not subject to user change. (not counting hardhacks by pros.)
this neosd card is the main reason i'm keeping a lookout for a console or consolized coinop. :)
[edit]
shit touchscreen.

Last edited:

crocchio

n00b
hi all
i' d like to buy a aes flash card, but i have a question. will be out a new version of this card?(i have read around so)! is it true?
thanks
ps sorry for bad english

atman

n00b
Brought the neoSD AES version and had some time this weekend to try it out.
Jeez, really nice. I dont have any hickups or issues. All working smooth. Relly nice with the highscore feature. I dont bother with the flash times at all, once loaded the game is instant like it should be.

5/5 from me.

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Hi there, I’m wondering if anyone has tested if you can play your Neo Geo Dev team games with the NeoSD?

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Well that’s a good thing actually. So they know that they can continue to develop without having to worry about their work going unpaid. Also for the consumer that buys the Neo Geo Dev games will be happy as well that not just anyone can play it.