MVS bootleg carts

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
So I was wondering if some of you guys more knowledgeable than I could teach me some stuff regarding bootleg carts.

I bought my first ever 2 carts the other day from reputable online dealers Metal Slug and Puzzle Bobble.

Checked out slug and its legit, Puzz bob on the other hand is a bootleg.

Someone (Jeff?) mentioned to me the other day that most carts of puzz bobb are boots so I was not surprised by this but it got me wondering why?

Was it just a really popular game or was it easy to hack?
Or was it just popular to hack it for moding purposes?

The boards appear to be legit SNK boards but not correct to the pics online.

So does that mean its a decent boot leg as opposed to a badly done in some dudes garage bootleg.

Just wondering what the general acceptance level of these things are.

I didnt pay much for it so ime not fussed about it being a boot but would like to learn some stuff for future purchases :)

Heres some pics for reference:

eb79529b8323c3b06ed1ffd9e9ce78e9.jpg
a849831818b55f6d4ca55a94ac97405d.jpg
bb82ab1625e44e4c853d18594899ed2f.jpg

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
PB was/is a money maker, almost all of even the legit carts have a eprom.

Use mvs-scans.com to see what legit boards are supposed to look like moving forward. If a seller doesn't want to show board pics, assume it's a boot.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster

Use mvs-scans.com to see what legit boards are supposed to look like moving forward. If a seller doesn't want to show board pics, assume it's a boot.

Yeah I have a legit cart but for some reason there are Power Spikes 2 chips on the board for some reason.

NeoLucian

New Challenger
Yeah I have a legit cart but for some reason there are Power Spikes 2 chips on the board for some reason.

I believe they repurposed the Power Spikes 2 boards for Puzzle Bobble and never removed the additional chips, i could be wrong but thats what I thought

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot

That's my understanding too! And as NeoLucian said - lots of Power Spikes 2 were re-purposed. That might be why it seems hard to find Power Spikes 2! Poor game but become rarer as a result I think.

OP - Technically your PB has original SNK boards, and some original SNK ROMs, so its half a boot =) Stick some official mask ROMS on it and its legit again =D I guess if you put some EPROMs on to go with the mask ROMS left on there you could also say its a legit cart, repaired...

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Cheers guys, I only paid £15 for it so big deal just wanted to take the opportunity to learn a bit.

I would of been pissed if slug was a boot though :p

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I had a Slug cart for years thinking it was legit until I randomly opened it to find it was a boot. I think I gave it to another poster.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
If only there was a section of the forum dedicated to boot or no boot with a sticky thread...

OP - Technically your PB has original SNK boards, and some original SNK ROMs, so its half a boot =) Stick some official mask ROMS on it and its legit again =D I guess if you put some EPROMs on to go with the mask ROMS left on there you could also say its a legit cart, repaired...

The mask ROMs on there are from WH2J.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
That's what the typical Puzzle Bobble cart looks like.