MVS Cab keeps going into Checkered Screen

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Ok, I've got a 4-slot upright cab that I switched some carts out, and now I can't get the system to boot no matter what carts I put in. I've pulled carts in and out about 20 times and the only thing I get each time I turn it on is the checkered screen for the test mode.

Any ideas??? I'm trying to show some friends my MVS setup and now I can't get ANY of my carts to work in it. crying

EDIT: I've even put in the original 4 carts that I had the cab working with. No luck... frown

<small>[ March 22, 2003, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Phoenix Down ]</small>

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Your cab could be just going in to TEST MODE
Make sure the dip on the pcb is set properly and
make and that the Test Mode pinout on the harness is not activated..
Put 1 cart in and see what happens also..

-BB

<small>[ March 22, 2003, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: BIG BEAR ]</small>

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Also, this sometimes happens on my 1-slot when the jamma connector isn't quite plugged in correctly. I can always fix this by turning off the Neo and unplugging then replugging the jamma harness onto the board.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
BIG BEAR:
-BB
Yeah, that's what's happening, it kept going into test mode. I finally got it to work after trying some more different carts. My best guess is that the carts weren't seating properly/making good contact, but I could be wrong.

BTW, I'm still new to this MVS cab I've gotten, where do I change the hardware dips? And what dips do which things? I think I understand the software dips but not the hardware ones.

Thanks.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Phoenix Down:
BIG BEAR:
-BB
Yeah, that's what's happening, it kept going into test mode. I finally got it to work after trying some more different carts. My best guess is that the carts weren't seating properly/making good contact, but I could be wrong.

BTW, I'm still new to this MVS cab I've gotten, where do I change the hardware dips? And what dips do which things? I think I understand the software dips but not the hardware ones.

Thanks.
<a href="http://www.hardmvs.com/index.htm" target="_blank">HARD MVS-All you need to know and then some!</a>
-BB

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Dirty cart connections or dirty mother board slot sockets.
<a href="http://www.hardmvs.com/html/slotCleaning.htm" target="_blank">http://www.hardmvs.com/html/slotCleaning.htm</a>

The cross hatch occurs with no cart inserted for test purposes.

<small>[ March 23, 2003, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</small>

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
Actually, I have never gotten around to posting the Dip switches. I don't know why.

Here is a nice table for them:

<a href="http://home1.gte.net/res002b4/neogeo/mvssys.htm" target="_blank">nick_th_fury's Unofficial Neo Geo website</a>

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Thanks for all the help guys! The MVS board could probably use a good cleaning anyway (as could some of my carts...) :)

CLRH2O

n00b
Test Mode pinout on the harness???

What is that? YOu mean there is some sort of physical switch of some sort attached to the Jamma/MVS wiring harness that you connect to the side of the MVS Motherboard?

I'm using a 6-Slot that just simply REFUSES to work as of last night
no matter what amount of cleaning or game shuffling I give it.

Direct to hardware test everytime on power up. If I put all 8 hard dips ON - I get a static "Work Ram Test" screen that I can leave there and it never goes away. IF I put all dip back to off after shuting her down, same thing - Direct to Hardware test.

What gives here? Everything has been cleaned, recleaned, and RE-CLEANED AGAIN, re-seated 10/20 times each slot with every (19) MVS cart and mixture of carts that I have.

Anyone? It just ... Happened, pop, like that last evening.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
CLRH2O said:
Test Mode pinout on the harness???

What is that? YOu mean there is some sort of physical switch of some sort attached to the Jamma/MVS wiring harness that you connect to the side of the MVS Motherboard?

I'm using a 6-Slot that just simply REFUSES to work as of last night
no matter what amount of cleaning or game shuffling I give it.

Direct to hardware test everytime on power up.

Anyone? It just ... Happened, pop, like that last evening.

Sounds like something wierd in the harness, do you have access to another mvs board to confirm this.

CLRH2O

n00b
I just wanted to chime back in here and say that I fixed the problem - it was in fact something that needed to be done, and it didn’t effect the operation of the MVS afterward - she's working perfectly.

Plus it's simple. But, since i just wrote like a two page explanation of what it was all about - and then just as I was nearing completion of that post my web browser too the sh$t on me..... I currently refuse to type it all out again right now.

But - if anyone needs to know what the deal was if it would help you - by all means ask - and I will then do my best to tell you what it was in my case. But I will say this, It was because the Cartridge board on top and the system board on the bottom had come partially disconnected from one another because the corner mounting feet were not holding hte boards together and they came apart. Just check them closely and it might fix your problem.

and like I said before - if you happen to need any other more specific information, just ask.