My first selfmade

ROM-Lover

New Challenger
This my first MAK i do on my own.
I want to build it small as possibile so i decide to put it in an old pc power supply.
It has up/down/coin/menu button.

But the missing thing is a rgb decoder chip.

I found just one ad725 at ebays and he was expensive(especially shipping for the little bastard). Are those chips build in DVD players or some other supplies?

If yes i would grab a broken one and get chip from there.

Last edited:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
neat idea but wire management needs a looking at

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Instead of the AD725 you are better off taking the Sony encoder from a PS1.

Marshall

New Challenger
Good idea, well done so far:)
I'm a bit worried about heat ploblem, though.....

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Do you get any interference running your video wires inside of the PSU?

I would think you would....

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Are those bundled, unused psu wires in there? Could probably just terminate those inside and save space and have it cleaner there.
And if you want to have your JAMMA out like that, you could probably put it in a sleeve to protect the wires and again it will look clean.

arfink

Crossed Swords Squire
Yes, I agree on covering the cabling. They make these things that I have heard called snake-skins which are a mesh tube for holding cable bundles like that. Other than that, looks nice and a good recycling of the power supply.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Yes, I agree on covering the cabling. They make these things that I have heard called snake-skins which are a mesh tube for holding cable bundles like that. Other than that, looks nice and a good recycling of the power supply.

Yeah a lot of the newer PSUs come with them now... I find that about 50% of the newer ones I grab have stretch tubing (really just mesh nylon) over a lot of the wires especially the bundle to go to the motherboard. Have seen them sold by the foot on spools at the local electronic dealer I visit. Nice thing is you can house a ton of wires and you can remove easily if you need to.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Found a link for some at jameco btw here

162165.jpg

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Lol.. Would look a thousand times better if you hadn't have used an old hard drive cable for your wiring :P

ROM-Lover

New Challenger
Instead of the AD725 you are better off taking the Sony encoder from a PS1.

I´ll have a look for. It´s a chip or a plate? You know the dimension if it´s a plate?
The PS2 has a decoder like this?

You can get 2 x free AD 725s (samples for evaluation purposes) at the AD website.

You will need to register

http://www.analog.com/en/content/samples_faq/fca.html

Nice idea but they said:

We're sorry but online sample orders will only be accepted from valid email addresses with domain urls that originate from a company (example: joe.smith@ABCcompany.com) or from an educational institution (example: joe.smith@ABCuniversity.edu). ADI will no longer accept sample requests from accounts who have email addresses that have been created using third-party email providers, such as Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, and AOL.

You know where to get a adress like this?

Are those bundled, unused psu wires in there? Could probably just terminate those inside and save space and have it cleaner there.

I´ve tried to remove them in the proto of that and it goes boom.:crying:

Good idea, well done so far:)
I'm a bit worried about heat ploblem, though.....

So the first try goes to hell i´ve take a smaller PSU and put it in this case.

Found a link for some at jameco btw here

162165.jpg

A good idea i´ll have a look for in germany to reduce shipping.
But it will look much better then.

Lol.. Would look a thousand times better if you hadn't have used an old hard drive cable for your wiring :P

Don´t make sense to argue about taste.
Everybody as he like.

Do you get any interference running your video wires inside of the PSU?

I would think you would....

i don´t know really cause my TV is an old not full rgb piece of crap that not really could handle it. Sound has a little humming but if you´re gaming you don´t hear it.
Always showing channel info and switches off after a while cause he thinks there is no signal.

A full test and gaming experience at home i can get after putting decoder in.

I´ve checked it on another TV, runs well.

Last edited:

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
The Sony encoder is a 20 or so pin SMD IC which does both composite and s-video.

For interests sake, what do you mean by plate?

If you'd like to PM me your address, I have a suitable email address I could order you the samples with.

ROM-Lover

New Challenger
The Sony encoder is a 20 or so pin SMD IC which does both composite and s-video.

For interests sake, what do you mean by plate?

If you'd like to PM me your address, I have a suitable email address I could order you the samples with.

Plate comes from a web translator:spock: . I mean a board, now remember the word.

I´ve checked ebay and there´re many broken PSX and PS2 to grab for a pocketmoney.

You know if the PS2 has the chip, too?

Cause my brothers case looks awful. Then i could get a chip and he the case.

PM is send. thank´s for your support.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Nice idea but they said:

We're sorry but online sample orders will only be accepted from valid email addresses with domain urls that originate from a company (example: joe.smith@ABCcompany.com) or from an educational institution (example: joe.smith@ABCuniversity.edu). ADI will no longer accept sample requests from accounts who have email addresses that have been created using third-party email providers, such as Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, and AOL.

You know where to get a adress like this?

They must have changed thier policy, they used to give them out to any address (apart from PNG which is not on their mailing list :angry: )
JohnSmith in Australia was kind enough to get mine :)

BTW they are an excellent encoder for MVS but are lousey with some boards- MK series is a good example.

ROM-Lover

New Challenger
They must have changed thier policy, they used to give them out to any address (apart from PNG which is not on their mailing list :angry: )
JohnSmith in Australia was kind enough to get mine :)

BTW they are an excellent encoder for MVS but are lousey with some boards- MK series is a good example.

A member here order it for me.

Good to know that this chip not is the best for all series. thanks.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
ttooddddyy: Any recommendation on better encoder?

Anyone know which is used on JROK?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I am more interested in the Component version of the JROK.

If anyone knows which chip is used on this thatd be great, as the one on the PCB has had its markings removed.

Shogeki

n00b
I had a few leads on what chip to use to build a component adapter, but i have no clues about what kind of chip is used on the jrok.

Is there some way to id those kind of semiconductors ?