Nagorno-Karabakh War

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Wasabi, I know I took your Russian annex post a bit too literally, so maybe that made me come across as a noob to these subjects. This isn't actually the case.

EDIT: I feel like I do ask you for links a lot though, so, thanks I guess.

I gave the link because you seemed dismissive after I mentioned that the territory isn't historically Azeri.

The British gifted it to them in 1920, which is just horrible timing. Practically a reverse Israel.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I gave the link because you seemed dismissive after I mentioned that the territory isn't historically Azeri.

The British gifted it to them in 1920, which is just horrible timing. Practically a reverse Israel.

I suppose the word "right" comes off as sarcastic more often than not. Perhaps I should have said "exactly".

I mean, a few posts back I was contemplating on whether or not to post a map of historical greater Armenia in response to yamazaki's last post.

I must have done a decent enough job of trying to hide my biases, until now.

Last edited:

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
https://hetq.am/en/article/124202

Pretty interesting read, it is the statement by the president of the break away region. Which states that they actually didn't have any troops anymore. They had about 200 defenders for their capital. Also regular Armenian army units refused to fight. Azerbaijan websites reported this during the war but Armenia brushed this off as propaganda.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The Prime Minister made a statement pretty nice read, explains a lot but also leaves a lot of point untouched: Mostly why is the Armenian army in such bad shape?
https://armenpress.am/eng/news/1034658.html

Armenians elected a really bright guy to lead them. Too bad they are a poor country, landlocked, and denied of oil. It’s ridiculous to see their Azeri neighbor’s ruler, oil rich, with a capital on the coast of caspian, eating beluga for nothing, and beheading people who hurts his feelings.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Armenians elected a really bright guy to lead them. Too bad they are a poor country, landlocked, and denied of oil. It’s ridiculous to see their Azeri neighbor’s ruler, oil rich, with a capital on the coast of caspian, eating beluga for nothing, and beheading people who hurts his feelings.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/how-did-armenia-so-badly-miscalculate-its-war-azerbaijan-172583

Is this publication a trusted source? They make it sound like Armenia was the aggressor in this situation and totally in the wrong.

4 UN mandates to leave Nagorno-Karabakh and they pulled a Israel and loaded the place with refugees.

I appreciate I may have more in common with them possibly culturally or maybe values wise also I hear that the country was the victim of some atrocities in the past.

Still right is right and wrong is wrong.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
https://nationalinterest.org/feature/how-did-armenia-so-badly-miscalculate-its-war-azerbaijan-172583

Is this publication a trusted source? They make it sound like Armenia was the aggressor in this situation and totally in the wrong.

4 UN mandates to leave Nagorno-Karabakh and they pulled a Israel and loaded the place with refugees.

I appreciate I may more in common with them possibly culturally or maybe values wise also I hear that the country was the victim of some atrocities in the past.

Still right is right and wrong is wrong.

I have never heard of National Interest as a publication. But there are a lot of bullshitters shilling for Turks and Azeris. I think this might help you understand why:
In 2018, Armenia underwent a peaceful revolution, sweeping long-time ruler Serzh Sargsyan from power. Protest leader Nikol Pashinyan became the prime minister after free elections that year.
Mr Pashinyan agreed with Azerbaijan's President Ilham Aliyev to de-escalate tensions and set up the first military hotline between the two countries.
But in August 2019 Mr Pashinyan told crowds of ethnic Armenians assembled in the main city in Karabakh, Stepanakert, that "Artsakh is Armenia, full stop." Artsakh is the Armenian name for Karabakh. The remarks angered Azerbaijan and were repeatedly condemned by President Aliyev.
Fighting broke out in July this year on the international border between Armenia and Azerbaijan, some 300km (185 miles) away from Nagorno-Karabakh. By the end of the month Turkey's military was taking part in large-scale joint exercises in Azerbaijan.
The latest conflict broke out on 27 September. Armenia said Azerbaijan fired the first shots. Azerbaijan said it was launching a "counter-offensive" in response to Armenian aggression.

Pashinyan is a dangerous figure. He represents a democratic system, which Turkey and Azerbaijan (and Russia) shun. He has to fail for those neighbor nations to justify their strongman leadership.

Otherwise, Armenia’s aggression was tough words. “Artsakh is Armenian.” Yes, the region is majority Armenian. The people voted to be part of Armenia. That is the real aggression that caused Azeris and Turks (Turkey just loves genocide, ask Armenians about 100 years ago, or the Kurds about any time in recent history) to wage asymmetrical warfare.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Eh I did some research on the magazine https://nationalinterest.org/about-the-national-interest I've seen it laying around before in offices and peoples houses. Judging by the headlines it appears to be have a bias, and maybe be more classical conservative leaning.

Anyways I'll try to walk you through it slower.

Yes Armenia was the victim of genocide, (I wasn't there but it sounds like the reality) the international community felt bad about it so it helped support them. When it came to this though they stopped and warned them against it.

The land went from a buffer zone, to a settlement (planned to be used for peace talks) to it's our land and finally starting a war over it.

Armenia totally misjudged what is going on in the world today and paid a price for it. It could have been worse. scanning headlines and it appears 1,300 dead over the skirmish.

I appreciate Armenia is democratic and Christian. Ergodyn has appeared to set Turkey back a 1,000 years and Putin is the worlds biggest turd. This is a win for them and that's not good.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Eh I did some research on the magazine https://nationalinterest.org/about-the-national-interest I've seen it laying around before in offices and peoples houses. Judging by the headlines it appears to be have a bias, and maybe be more classical conservative leaning.

Anyways I'll try to walk you through it slower.

Yes Armenia was the victim of genocide, (I wasn't there but it sounds like the reality) the international community felt bad about it so it helped support them. When it came to this though they stopped and warned them against it.

The land went from a buffer zone, to a settlement (planned to be used for peace talks) to it's our land and finally starting a war over it.

Armenia totally misjudged what is going on in the world today and paid a price for it. It could have been worse. scanning headlines and it appears 1,300 dead over the skirmish.

I appreciate Armenia is democratic and Christian. Ergodyn has appeared to set Turkey back a 1,000 years and Putin is the worlds biggest turd. This is a win for them and that's not good.

Pretty much. Pashinyan and Armenia misread the room and thought they could finally make it official. And with that misplay, Armenians are evicted from the only homes they have known, and Azerbaijanis are like “we weren’t moving there anyways. We like living along the Caspian, thx, but get the fuck out of our new land.”

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Ain’t no one fighting a world war over some podunk piece of land.

...said the great powers in 1914.

Probably.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think all life deserves to be protected.

Not simply the islamo-turkic ones. And that’s not anti turkic. They deserve to be safe as well.

And it starts when the stronger nation shows true strength, puts down their weapons, and reaches out an open hand instead.

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
lol...

so much dramatic writing - they forgot adding how two-headed Azerbaijani and Turkish soldiers with 6 arms were dropping from the skies and devouring little Armenian babies alive...

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
not angry..

just tired about all the "Armenia/Kurds/Greeks holy and just, Turkey bad" attitude these days.

no word about the atrocities done by the Armenias in the 90s, no word about how the PKK abducts and murders elementary school teachers etc etc.

did the Turkish government do a lot of shit on Syria and Co? yes - as all the other big and regional players.

is Erdogan a dickface? yes - still does not change my opinion when it comes to territorial integrity.

PS: my parents wanted to go to Canada first but German visa was granted before so they went here.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
not angry..

just tired about all the "Armenia/Kurds/Greeks holy and just, Turkey bad" attitude these days.

no word about the atrocities done by the Armenias in the 90s, no word about how the PKK abducts and murders elementary school teachers etc etc.

did the Turkish government do a lot of shit on Syria and Co? yes - as all the other big and regional players.

is Erdogan a dickface? yes - still does not change my opinion when it comes to territorial integrity.

PS: my parents wanted to go to Canada first but German visa was granted before so they went here.

The Armenian atrocities? Hahaha. You sound like the Americans who buy into every Jack Chick track portraying Muslims as evil pagans.

0040_15.gif

Semiramis is portrayed by some as a whore, but insults aside, she was a competent politician who ruled a massive territory that included Turkey. She was attributed with the founding of Van province. I bring her up because she’s a reflection of how people get brainwashed to believe some insensible bullshit. Look at the election last year in Van, where the democratically elected mayor was accused and investigated as a terrorist, and thrown in jail, along with a few other mayors from other provinces. Turkey has a propaganda problem and Turkey has an authoritarianism problem.

If Erdogan never came to power, I don’t think your family would want to move. It was on the right path until he came promising to make Turkey religious again. :rolleyes: