Naomi 2 power hungry?

DCrosby

n00b
All fans are spinning, the Naomi2 Board looks like it was put away immediately after it was opened, so there may be a manufacturing flaw, or something else wrong, I got it from a place that buys non-working cabs, and restores them, but also parts out games, so it could be from a DOA game that was sold for parts. The only major dust is where the cartridge goes. I also tried disconnecting the fans on the Naomi1 board, as I replaced the CPU with a Nocturnal Fan, and I tried with connecting the Green Nocturnal wire, to where the yellow one was on the original fan, and it seemed with work with and without it.

BTW This is the unit I'm using for power, no idea if it's enough power (it was for Naomi1):

Siglent Technologies SPD3303X-E

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Check the super cap on the N2, you can remove it entirely without issue also.

Keep in mind the SUN psu they are usually paired with supplies a max of 10A on the 5v line which most of the system will be using, try giving it more current.

DCrosby

n00b
Yeah it was the second thing I did, after I didn't see the signal on the screen. I don't have my ATX to JVS Adapter yet, so I guess I'll have to wait 'till that comes to feed it off of that. I'm just worried that it may be shorted and the over-amp warning on the Siglent is keeping the board from blowing up, but it could also, like you said just need more amperage on the 5v side.

DCrosby

n00b
So I was able to confirm a couple of things, the Net-Dim takes more than 3.2A and yes the bios' are Model Specific.
TBD on Naomi 2 unibios due to lack of proper power *(ATX->JVS) harness (still waiting)

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yeah it's pretty hungry and that's just the Net-DIMM. The N2 has two PowerVR GPU's and more ram across the board too.

DCrosby

n00b
I mean all these are DC Figures, so I don't think I'll blow an AC 15A Breaker, but still pretty eye opening to get some actual figures.