NBA season 21/22

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Over half the league gets in even with just 8. There was never an argument for more except more money.
I have to admit, I liked Daryl Morey's idea of making the playoffs even less. Single elimination would be more entertaining. Heck, even consider copying the Euroleague model where the playoffs are initially eight or so teams that play best of five, then you know you have the best four and then make that final four single elimination.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Hey, we were bound to win one at least but yea, there’s no reason for Cleveland to lose to this shitshow. The fact that the Lakers are still in line for a playoff spot should be the entire argument against expanding the NBA playoffs
I'm thinking LeBron likes to get up to play against the Cavs. It's similar to how now Sabres Alex Tuch and Peyton Krebs scored goals in their games back against Vegas Golden Knights.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Hey, we were bound to win one at least but yea, there’s no reason for Cleveland to lose to this shitshow. The fact that the Lakers are still in line for a playoff spot should be the entire argument against expanding the NBA playoffs
I think there should be a condition that all teams need to be over .500 to qualify, otherwise 7th/8th seed are selected traditionally.

Would have made great sense when the Western conference was dominating so hard that teams over .500 couldn't make the last seed (hello Suns circa 13/14). Doesn't make a lick of sense now.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I think there should be a condition that all teams need to be over .500 to qualify, otherwise 7th/8th seed are selected traditionally.

Would have made great sense when the Western conference was dominating so hard that teams over .500 couldn't make the last seed (hello Suns circa 13/14). Doesn't make a lick of sense now.
There needs to be less than 82 games per season if playoffs are that long winded, too.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The need to get to 32 teams. Then the 16 team format works perfectly like the NHL.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
How about a winner take all tournaments ( put up a pot by the owners like $30 mill ) , if not Vegas can chip in …

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
And the Suns clinched home court advantage throughout the playoffs :buttrock:

Fygee

20 Year Member
What a game. Went back and forth until the Suns pulled away. MVP Book.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
The Celtics are playing unbelievable since the new year. It's like they're rediscovering the identity of their 2008 title-winning squad (which was completely absent from their 2010 version): DEFENSE WINS. Jayson Tatum is a bona fide stud and doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone. Thank you to both the Sixers and Lakers for choosing Markelle Fultz and Lonzo Ball over him.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
The Celtics are playing unbelievable since the new year. It's like they're rediscovering the identity of their 2008 title-winning squad (which was completely absent from their 2010 version): DEFENSE WINS. Jayson Tatum is a bona fide stud and doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone. Thank you to both the Sixers and Lakers for choosing Markelle Fultz and Lonzo Ball over him.

It is a remarkable turnaround from earlier when they were flat, lose winnable games to poor teams, and had a .500 record. Now they are blowing out good teams both home and away, it is a thing of beauty. I hope they can keep it up to the playoffs.

Fygee

20 Year Member
All on board for a new Supersonics team. Second one should be Vegas. Basketball is huge here and we've been ready for an NBA team for a long time.

Move Memphis or New Orleans to the East where they belong, and you'll have 16 team parity for both conferences.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
All on board for a new Supersonics team. Second one should be Vegas. Basketball is huge here and we've been ready for an NBA team for a long time.

Move Memphis or New Orleans to the East where they belong, and you'll have 16 team parity for both conferences.
Vegas having a team along with Seattle would be awesome for the Western Conference, plus then the East has to deal with Morant!

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member

I think that's one aspect that I like about the NBA more than the other three leagues, they're never afraid to put teams in markets that really didn't exist before and be successful. Charlotte, Orlando, Sacramento, Memphis, Oklahoma City, San Antonio. I think Virginia Beach would be the next big American metro that would make a shit ton of money for the NBA.

But if you want an NBA team in Las Vegas, I'd be more than happy to trade the Cavaliers for the Golden Knights. I definitely prefer NHL to NBA in terms of watching.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Vegas might go too hard on these teams. Going from zero top level pro sports teams to nearly all of them in a short span could dry up the potential season ticket and sponsor base and lead to an embarrassing situation ala the Yotes in Phoenix or the og Vancouver Grizzlies.

They had no top level pro teams and then in rapid succession have added the NFL, NHL, WNBA and NLL and are already trying to lure the Oakland As and an MLS club out there.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Don’t even act like NLL is a “top level sport” in the same way the NBA or NFL is

famicommander

15 Year Member
Don’t even act like NLL is a “top level sport” in the same way the NBA or NFL is
It is in the sense that it's owned by the same level of mega billionaires and is the top level of play in the world. Notice I also threw the WNBA in there even though I wouldn't watch it if you paid me to and they can't even outdraw the NLL.

It's not close to the same level of popularity but they're still competing for the same fans and the same sponsors and the same TV, radio, press coverage.

It's like Denver. The Broncos dominate 99% of the media landscape here but what little coverage the Rapids, Mammoth, and Avs get comes at the expense of the Nuggets and Rockies. Las Vegas is barely 2/3 the population of metro Denver and metro Denver is by far the smallest city with a team in all four big leagues.

An NBA team would be more popular than the WNBA and NLL teams combined day one in Vegas, but it doesn't mean those smaller teams don't still have an impact. Especially in the long term. Fans have a finite amount of dollars to spend on sporting events per year and a nonzero number of people go to those games.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Not to mention though it's far from pro but Vegas added an IFL team this year which will their fourth attempt at an indoor football team. Also factor a USL, minor league baseball and an AHL team as well as UNLV and their area seems oversaturated as a sports city.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
It is a remarkable turnaround from earlier when they were flat, lose winnable games to poor teams, and had a .500 record. Now they are blowing out good teams both home and away, it is a thing of beauty. I hope they can keep it up to the playoffs.
The pre-2022 Celtics were the 2010 Celtics. A collection of talent that were underperformers and just generally unlikeable and lazy on both ends, which is why they had no damn business being in the Finals that year; we had a terribly conditioned Rasheed Wallace whose diet evidently consisted of lots of potato chips, Nate Robinson and his horrid BBIQ, and Glen "Big Burger" Davis getting big minutes, with none caring about anything except their PPG. This current Celtics team is rounding into a defensive identity that hasn't been anywhere in sight since 2008. I'm not saying they're as talented from top to bottom, but there's a sense of pride and purpose. I especially love how Prichard's been playing. I think he could at least fill the Eddie House role as a sparkplug who can get hot from outside.

Robert Williams is the best player nobody's talking about. He and Marcus Smart are a defensive nightmare out there. Glad we held onto both.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Space Jam: A New Legacy" won three Razzies: worst actor for LeBron James, worst rip-off or sequel, and worst screen couple for James combined with any of the cartoon characters. The movie put the NBA star, shot in live action, in a cosmic basketball game with Looney Tunes characters, remaking the 1996 original with Michael Jordan.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
The pre-2022 Celtics were the 2010 Celtics. A collection of talent that were underperformers and just generally unlikeable and lazy on both ends, which is why they had no damn business being in the Finals that year; we had a terribly conditioned Rasheed Wallace whose diet evidently consisted of lots of potato chips, Nate Robinson and his horrid BBIQ, and Glen "Big Burger" Davis getting big minutes, with none caring about anything except their PPG. This current Celtics team is rounding into a defensive identity that hasn't been anywhere in sight since 2008. I'm not saying they're as talented from top to bottom, but there's a sense of pride and purpose. I especially love how Prichard's been playing. I think he could at least fill the Eddie House role as a sparkplug who can get hot from outside.

Robert Williams is the best player nobody's talking about. He and Marcus Smart are a defensive nightmare out there. Glad we held onto both.
Give credit to the new coach as well !! Everyone need to play their role would be nice to them in the east finals .

famicommander

15 Year Member
35/12/8/2/2 for Jokic tonight on 13/15 shooting, +19 in 35 minutes

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Give credit to the new coach as well !! Everyone need to play their role would be nice to them in the east finals .
Oh, absolutely! I really think the time was right for a new coach. Brad Stevens is clearly intelligent and a great basketball mind (I *love* the Derrick White deal as pairing him with Smart basically gives the Celtics the two strongest PGs in the league to clobber opponents with), but Ime Udoka is a better fit. Former player, a Poppovich guy, and most importantly not afraid to hold his squad accountable. The time was right for change in the organization and Ime fit like a glove.

Speaking of coaches, does anyone else feel like Doc Rivers is the luckiest coach in NBA history for the way this past year has turned out? His teams repeatedly wilt under pressure but his affable nature and the fact he's friends with so many correspondents give him a built-in shield to criticism. Last year's run was disastrous but thankfully Ben Simmons bore 99% of the blame. If the Sixers flame out again it'll probably be a James Harden story. Then he somehow makes the top 15 coaches in NBA history list, despite having a history of underachieving at every stop he's been.