Need Cash? Kill an American soldier.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Man, if there is anything I could just know the truth of it would be about the truth of these reports linking Russia to paying bounties on US Soldiers in Afghanistan.

I’m no fan of the War on Terror but man, even the allegation that Russia is doing that is bonkers. I wonder how high up the chain it goes?

The fucked up part is that even if it’s true it still works in Russia’s favor because the Trump administration is denying it’s truth. And if it’s not true, we’re still arguing about it.

We can’t fucking win against this quality disinformation campaign. GG Putin, you fucker.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I have not really read this stuff so help me out here, but why does it matter if Russia offered bounties to Taliban? Aren't they trying to kill Americans in country anyway?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Man, if there is anything I could just know the truth of it would be about the truth of these reports linking Russia to paying bounties on US Soldiers in Afghanistan.

I’m no fan of the War on Terror but man, even the allegation that Russia is doing that is bonkers. I wonder how high up the chain it goes?

The fucked up part is that even if it’s true it still works in Russia’s favor because the Trump administration is denying it’s truth. And if it’s not true, we’re still arguing about it.

We can’t fucking win against this quality disinformation campaign. GG Putin, you fucker.

Another dubiously sourced Russiagate revelation. The story appeared right as the Trump administration is finalizing the withdrawal of almost half the US troops currently deployed in Afghanistan. I'm sure this is just a coincidence though and we should blindly accept another evidence free leak from an anonymous source.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Trump's administration was aware of the bounties going back to 2019, iirc.

It's a lose-lose for them - was Trump briefed on it? If yes, why did he say nothing about it? If no, why was he not briefed? This is pertinent information that another country (oh, RUSSIA) has put out bounties for US soldiers.

But there he goes, all he has to say is 'fake news' and...what should have reached Benghazi levels of outrage is nothing.

Imagine if this happened during Obama's term.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Trump's administration was aware of the bounties going back to 2019, iirc.

It's a lose-lose for them - was Trump briefed on it? If yes, why did he say nothing about it? If no, why was he not briefed? This is pertinent information that another country (oh, RUSSIA) has put out bounties for US soldiers.

But there he goes, all he has to say is 'fake news' and...what should have reached Benghazi levels of outrage is nothing.

Imagine if this happened during Obama's term.

Democrats would support Obama's actions and the Republicans would weaponize it for political purposes. There'd be the usual surface level gamesmanship to gloss over the fact that the US has been there for nearly 20 years and accomplished nothing. Obama and Trump both ran on full Afghan withdrawal. Obama flat out lied and Trump got played like a fiddle by the national security state, at least up to this point.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's crazy how we won the Cold War and then immediately thought, well, that's done forever; no need to ever think about that again. Now let's help our new friend Russia recuperate and blah blah blah. Expecting Russia to feel the same. The past several years have made it abundantly clear that Russia never thought of the Cold War as being over. They're still fighting it.

The bounty on Americans thing is whatever. But using social media to stir up and exacerbate unrest and racial tensions in the US is pretty fucking brilliant. That's some Blofeld-level shit.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have not really read this stuff so help me out here, but why does it matter if Russia offered bounties to Taliban? Aren't they trying to kill Americans in country anyway?

We as the public definitely need more information.

I’ll have to do more research (lol) - but it seems problematic if a foreign state we’re not at war with (at police action with?) is paying money to our “enemy” to kill our soldiers. I suppose it would matter more If we somehow had data showing that Russia’s alleged “Cash For Joes*” program had significantly increased US troop KIA.

I don’t know, I find the mere premise of cash for kills repugnant - but I tire of American adventurism overseas in general.

Regardless with how the administration has handled this “intelligence” we lose no matter what.

*GI Joes, not Biden you fucks.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
We as the public definitely need more information.

I’ll have to do more research (lol) - but it seems problematic if a foreign state we’re not at war with (at police action with?) is paying money to our “enemy” to kill our soldiers. I suppose it would matter more If we somehow had data showing that Russia’s alleged “Cash For Joes*” program had significantly increased US troop KIA.

Here you go.

numbers.png

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Another dubiously sourced Russiagate revelation. The story appeared right as the Trump administration is finalizing the withdrawal of almost half the US troops currently deployed in Afghanistan. I'm sure this is just a coincidence though and we should blindly accept another evidence free leak from an anonymous source.

it's not an anonymous source. Taliban officers (3 of them) confirmed this, and no one is doubting the voracity of this, even in Republican leadership, except you.

Is your sole reason for being here to spread lies and bullshit?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
it's not an anonymous source. Taliban officers (3 of them) confirmed this, and no one is doubting the voracity of this, even in Republican leadership, except you.

Is your sole reason for being here to spread lies and bullshit?

Asking questions and being skeptical is not spreading lies and bullshit, especially given the timing and contentious nature of the allegations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/us/politics/russian-bounties-warnings-trump.html

United States intelligence officers and Special Operations forces in Afghanistan alerted their superiors as early as January to a suspected Russian plot to pay bounties to the Taliban to kill American troops in Afghanistan, according to officials briefed on the matter. They believed at least one U.S. troop death was the result of the bounties, two of the officials said.

The sources that leaked the details to the NY Times are anonymous intelligence officials. The media uncritically report the allegations as being confirmed facts, mumbling the usual "if true" disclaimer, and then we see the usual opinion pieces which basically assume their veracity, along with hawkish spin from Democrats and neocons.

The crucial information that led the spies and commandos to focus on the bounties included the recovery of a large amount of American cash from a raid on a Taliban outpost that prompted suspicions. Interrogations of captured militants and criminals played a central role in making the intelligence community confident in its assessment that the Russians had offered and paid bounties in 2019

The Taliban has been fighting US and allied forces for almost 20 years without needing cash bounties as motivation. Interrogations of captured militants and criminals - is this your idea of a reliable source of information?

There's also this: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nsa-differed-from-cia-others-on-russia-bounty-intelligence-11593534220

The National Security Agency strongly dissented from other intelligence agencies’ assessment that Russia paid bounties for the killing of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan, according to people familiar with the matter.

But OK, let's assume these reports are eventually backed up with hard evidence. Back to the NYT article...

Revenge is also a factor in Russia’s support for the Taliban, the official said. Russia has been keen to even the scales after a bloody confrontation in 2018 in Syria, when a massive U.S. counterattack killed hundreds of Syrian forces along with Russian mercenaries nominally supported by the Kremlin.

The US and Russia have a long history of fighting proxy wars, providing financial support, weapons, and training to strategic allies which occasionally results in the deaths of US and Russian personnel. The Soviet-Afghan war is a historical example. The Syrian civil war is a current example. Are bounties really all that different from writing a blank check when the end result is the same death and destruction?

If the people crying about this were serious about protecting the lives of American servicemen and women, they would have ended all these wars years ago.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Anonymous whistleblowers is the way to go nowadays. Protection for whistleblowers is GONE now. Don't be a hero by putting your name out there unless you want to be ostracized and fired.

There is something to be said if the sitting president is very chummy with a president of foreign country who has bounties put on our soldiers' heads. Can you imagine the headlines if this happened during Obama's presidency?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Anonymous whistleblowers is the way to go nowadays. Protection for whistleblowers is GONE now. Don't be a hero by putting your name out there unless you want to be ostracized and fired.

There is something to be said if the sitting president is very chummy with a president of foreign country who has bounties put on our soldiers' heads. Can you imagine the headlines if this happened during Obama's presidency?

If you look at Trump's actions rather than his words, he has actually been rather hawkish towards Putin and Russia, pulling out of nuclear weapons treaties, imposing sanctions, continuing proxy wars versus Russian allies. The intelligence agencies are not our friend, especially when they seem to be attempting a soft coup against a democratically elected president. They've rolled Trump just like they rolled Obama.

Republican warmongers did in fact go after Obama as well for not being hawkish enough. At least they are consistent in their WW3 baiting insanity. The Democrats cynically turned into hawks for political expediency. Not sure what Wasabi's motives are. He's an intelligent guy, maybe just blinded by confirmation bias, IDK. Poppy is just an idiot that believes anything Rachel Maddow spergs about and I'm done wasting my brain cells debating with him.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
If the people crying about this were serious about protecting the lives of American servicemen and women, they would have ended all these wars years ago.

Yep, but any time Trump brings up reducing troop levels, both parties are quick to jump at it with cries of abdicating our responsibility, abandoning our commitment, and condemning our allies.

The forever wars.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Asking questions and being skeptical is not spreading lies and bullshit, especially given the timing and contentious nature of the allegations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/us/politics/russian-bounties-warnings-trump.html

United States intelligence officers and Special Operations forces in Afghanistan alerted their superiors as early as January to a suspected Russian plot to pay bounties to the Taliban to kill American troops in Afghanistan, according to officials briefed on the matter. They believed at least one U.S. troop death was the result of the bounties, two of the officials said.

The sources that leaked the details to the NY Times are anonymous intelligence officials. The media uncritically report the allegations as being confirmed facts, mumbling the usual "if true" disclaimer, and then we see the usual opinion pieces which basically assume their veracity, along with hawkish spin from Democrats and neocons.

The crucial information that led the spies and commandos to focus on the bounties included the recovery of a large amount of American cash from a raid on a Taliban outpost that prompted suspicions. Interrogations of captured militants and criminals played a central role in making the intelligence community confident in its assessment that the Russians had offered and paid bounties in 2019

The Taliban has been fighting US and allied forces for almost 20 years without needing cash bounties as motivation. Interrogations of captured militants and criminals - is this your idea of a reliable source of information?

There's also this: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nsa-differed-from-cia-others-on-russia-bounty-intelligence-11593534220

The National Security Agency strongly dissented from other intelligence agencies’ assessment that Russia paid bounties for the killing of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan, according to people familiar with the matter.

But OK, let's assume these reports are eventually backed up with hard evidence. Back to the NYT article...

Revenge is also a factor in Russia’s support for the Taliban, the official said. Russia has been keen to even the scales after a bloody confrontation in 2018 in Syria, when a massive U.S. counterattack killed hundreds of Syrian forces along with Russian mercenaries nominally supported by the Kremlin.

The US and Russia have a long history of fighting proxy wars, providing financial support, weapons, and training to strategic allies which occasionally results in the deaths of US and Russian personnel. The Soviet-Afghan war is a historical example. The Syrian civil war is a current example. Are bounties really all that different from writing a blank check when the end result is the same death and destruction?

The intel was confirmed and the confirmation wasn’t anonymous. If the intel is verifiable, then nagging about the leak being anonymous is a dubious angle.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If you look at Trump's actions rather than his words, he has actually been rather hawkish towards Putin and Russia, pulling out of nuclear weapons treaties, imposing sanctions, continuing proxy wars versus Russian allies. The intelligence agencies are not our friend, especially when they seem to be attempting a soft coup against a democratically elected president. They've rolled Trump just like they rolled Obama.

Republican warmongers did in fact go after Obama as well for not being hawkish enough. At least they are consistent in their WW3 baiting insanity. The Democrats cynically turned into hawks for political expediency. Not sure what Wasabi's motives are. He's an intelligent guy, maybe just blinded by confirmation bias, IDK. Poppy is just an idiot that believes anything Rachel Maddow spergs about and I'm done wasting my brain cells debating with him.

All the agreements Trump has pulled out of have strengthened Putin’s position. The next administrations will not be able to hold Putin accountable for any breach of the currently non-existent treaties. Further, Trump has weakened the influence of NATO to the point that Putin can make threats to the FSU of reannexation, and no one is going to stop him.

Meanwhile, Putin has been paying out rewards for killing Americans, even though there's no formal declaration of war. Trump isn't hawkish. He's dovish.

And please stop posting in political threads. Your arguments are horrible, ignorant, and facetious. Your only achievement on this site is gaslighting Lithy.

Marek

Banned
Poppy is just an idiot that believes anything Rachel Maddow spergs about and I'm done wasting my brain cells debating with him.

I havent posted in days and yet here I am, living in your mind rent free.

You are the idiot and the facts prove you more and more wrong daily.

Lol maddow, haven't heard anything from her in at lesst a year.

Your little jabs at me are as ineffectual as your shriveled dick.

Go ahead, keep defending the single worst traitor in American history. I cant wait until you have no more smoke screen to hide behind.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Let’s end the forever wars.

Was Crimea annexed during the Obama or Trump administration and why was the international response so limp

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Let’s end the forever wars.

Was Crimea annexed during the Obama or Trump administration and why was the international response so limp

I think it started in 2014.

The international response is limp because the UN includes Russia as a permanent member of the security council. It can veto any initiative it wants.

The UN should be abandoned.

Marek

Banned
Oh no! The librul corporate media is at it again, slowly destroying wyo's diaphenous safe space hidey hole. :lolz:

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profil...heet-full-of-questions-for-the-doj-to-answer/

I mean the blatant evidence isnt enough for wyo. Maybe the stuff that the Trumpreich is going to the ends of the earth to hide will finally win over this dullard. Not likely, of course. Dullardry is a stubborn lifestyle so it seems.

Your garmonbozia, wyo. I desire it ever the more.

Last edited: