Neo Candy Club

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
View attachment 46116
Yeah apparently 2 owners ago (when it was still white) they thought it was a good idea to touch up some marks on the monitor shroud with whiteout :loco::scratch: Im planning on using vinyl dye to restore it along with a Super Neo I picked up for someone else...but not sure if I should do something special to sand or prep that area in particular prior to applying the dye.

Yeah you have the same one I do, just a 29 instead of a 25. It's default wired MVS.

jcmorris

New Challenger
Yeah you have the same one I do, just a 29 instead of a 25. It's default wired MVS.

Good to know, I tracked down a 4 slot (Iv always used a 1slot) so hopefully will get to tweaking the monitor and testing mid next week. I wonder if they use the same chassis or are similar in architecture? I haven't found any info online about them (the chassis)....everything I see is about Super Neos. When I bought the cab, the owner had a jamma board plugged in and the screen had this rhythmic pulsing yellow color that covered the screen every few seconds after the sound booted up. Before that while it was ROM testing during boot the screen looked fine. Just trying to prepare myself for some work incase its a little more complicated than just some trimpot adjustments and metering resistors etc.

Beautiful Neo 29 there!

Thanks! Ordered some brand new LS32 (old style) and buttons to refresh the CP with. Also going to be using a Vinyl Dye to restore the original color to the shroud and marquee. (when time allows it)

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Nice setup, I thought one of my photos was stolen at first (I have an identical machine with all of the same wear). Your sideart looks much cleaner though. I always wondered something but never got around to asking, usual buttons are convex/concave, but those on your machine look nearly flat? Which manufacturer has those style buttons and are they stock? :)

jcmorris

New Challenger
Nice setup, I thought one of my photos was stolen at first (I have an identical machine with all of the same wear). Your sideart looks much cleaner though. I always wondered something but never got around to asking, usual buttons are convex/concave, but those on your machine look nearly flat? Which manufacturer has those style buttons and are they stock? :)

I kept all of those, i guess for nostalgia or something.... but just replaced it with these because some were really gummed up:
https://www.focusattack.com/seimitsu-ps-14-g-pushbutton-red-black/

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
[.but not sure if I should do something special to sand or prep that area in particular prior to applying the dye.

As far as vinyl dye goes, just make sure the surface it clean. Usually I'll wipe it down with alcohol and a wipe. Remember it only dyes the plastic it won't fill in any cracks or imperfections. Only used the stuff on cases

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Like i mentioned i picked up a Neo 29 acouple weeks ago. It is wired up jamma+, came with pandoras box 4 and nonworking original 4 slot board. I actually am trying to trade the 4 slot for a working 1 slot if anyone is interested. The original owner drilled the cp to make it a 6 button panel. Anybody know where i can have a high quality vinyl cp overlay printed online? Would love to freshen up the cp and the yellowing. Still stuck between white vinyl dye or retrobrite. For those of you that have used vinyle dye, what brand did you use? Im used to the VHT brand, havent used a white before.

New parts came in the mail yesterday and I installed them and took some pics.
-Seimitsu LS32s
-Kori Mesh Balls
-Seimitsu PS14KN buttons

had to rewire the controls a bit. Dude had player 1 side wired up with 5 pin harness. A crappy one at that, wires were loose so installed a brand new harness and wired up player 2 with harness also since it had QDs instead.

cab1.jpgcab2.jpgcab3.jpg

Another thing I came across was mounting the LS32s. Luckily i was given one of the original ls32 mounting brackets for the candy cab. And I just happened to have another old style ls32 I was able to mod to fit in the cab.
Interesting note, the original mounting plate sits the ls32 at 23mm and the plate i modified with holes sits the stick at 24mm. I plan to use acouple of washers to get it to 23mm since that is my sweet spot. Pic with the different mounting plates i have, you can kind of see the height differences in the angled picture

plate1.jpgplate 2.jpgplate 3.jpg

jcmorris

New Challenger
Im about to dye a Super Neo 29 Type II monitor shroud and top marquee area that are yellowed with Duplicolor brand vinyl dye.
Gloss White Vinyl & Fabric Coating
11 oz. Aerosol
HVP105

https://duplicolor.com/product/vinyl-and-fabric-coating

Ill let you know the results, Im going to do doing my Neo 29 afterwards afterwards. I have heard of great results though from other members of the community who have dyed parts on Taito, Sega, and SNK cabs.

On the other hand, I have heard tons of horror stories from Retrobright making the plastic crack , brittle, and reyellowing with time. The worst thing I have heard about Vinyl dye is that if it is not done correctly it can easily chip off.

Last edited:

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Like i mentioned i picked up a Neo 29 acouple weeks ago.

FYI: It's actually a Neo Candy 29. I have the same one. You can tell because the Neo 29 says "Neo 29" on the side and has the AES small marquee instead of "Neo Candy". The big marquee is the large grid as you've mentioned. The Neo 29 has 4 mini marquees. The overall difference is minimal.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
JC- Yeah, very interested in seeing your end result with the vinyl dye. Stuff is easy to work with. Its more work getting the plastic parts off than the actual spraying. lol

Das- Oh, i didnt realize there was a Neo 29 and a Neo Candy 29. Thought ppl were just saying neo 29 for short.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
JC- Yeah, very interested in seeing your end result with the vinyl dye. Stuff is easy to work with. Its more work getting the plastic parts off than the actual spraying. lol

Das- Oh, i didnt realize there was a Neo 29 and a Neo Candy 29. Thought ppl were just saying neo 29 for short.

Same deal with the Super Neo 29. One being wired for MVS the Candy being JAMMA.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Does anyone have the pinout for these cabs? I am wanting to swap in the 5 pin connector, the one that looks like this:

JLF-H-500x500.jpg

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
b31b8082dacb807b6956945cb6236326.jpg

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
So what size marquee does the Neo Candy 29 take? Plan to dye the bezel white this month. Wanna put up a marquee to complete the facelift.

Thanks

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
My neo cab needs some replacement speakers- any ideas on where to get them? They are a super odd size- 4inches X 3inches.

NoAffinity

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Mine look like this-

lqrL22Ol.jpg

Thats a solid lead though, I'll check it out, thanks!
I found exact replacements and posted it here somewhere. Will see if I can find it but if you search my posts you'll probably find it. They were like $15 shipped.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NoAffinity

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I found exact replacements and posted it here somewhere. Will see if I can find it but if you search my posts you'll probably find it. They were like $15 shipped.

this is the site I got them. These look similar but I don't think they are the same. 6ohm tips me off that they aren't as I believe original and the replacements I got are 4ohm. But maybe search the site some more and they have others. Or maybe these can also work. https://www.sciplus.com/p/SHARP-SPEAKERS_46002

Last edited: