neo cd questions

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
howdy ppl...i'm a newbie to the neo geo scene and im tryin 2 get my hands on a system...im thinkin about the cd system but i have heard some rumours about it and decided that id ask some gurus if they are true...

1.is the cd system EXACT arcade quality or is it true that some games have frames of animation cut out to remix soundtracks ?.

2.is it true that the drives/lenses are crap and will pack up after a few years ?.

3.which system is more reliable the front loading or top loading system ?.

4.is this a good deal for a cart system:

-american cart sytem c/w 1 joystick, cabling, ac adaptor and samurai showdown 2.

price: £390(irish pounds)= $452 inc shipping.

[This message has been edited by black_wizardd (edited February 16, 2001).]

PrOzErG

Sacrifice is pleasure, , ,
1.well the sound in some games is remix but normaly when the sound is remix it souds better

2.Yeah some times the lenses fucks the hell out but that happens just some times like you have 1/890 chance that happens to you

3.well the front loading is a Collecters item it was a limited edition the cd open motor brokes after a few years heheh and the top loading is much better the front is just Collecters item

4.no its not a good deal.Shawn sells a very good home cart system on the site right here the specs are ---->

English home cart system developers chip installed. original style controller, A/V cable, & power supply. excellent condition, all print on system is wear free. $375

you get all this for just 375 dollars and you can buy SS2 from shawn this is a much better deal go whit the one shawn sells YEHAAAAA

------------------
kof97_ryujinyamazakilaff.gif

YOU DONT LIKE ME? "THEN FUCK OFF"

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
1. Earlier Neo games are probably exactly arcade quality on the CD system, but later games did have animation cut and sprite sizes reduced. It wasn't due to remixed music though. While many CD games do have remixed music, 99+% of Neo CD music plays right off the CD, so no RAM is taken for that. (You could play Neo CD music on any CD player.) The reason some later games have animation cut is due to RAM limitations on the CD system.

2. I've heard that too, but if you take care of your system and unplug it when not in use, it will hopefully last. My Neo CD works fine after a little over a year.

3. I've heard the top loader is more reliable. The front loader looks cool though, but the cost of getting one is probably not worth it.

4. Sounds a little steep to me, but I play the much cheaper MVS games.
smile.gif
So, I really don't know.

PrOzErG

no problem

------------------

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
prozerg...

no offence meant

but you're a creep...

theres no need for you to lick shawns ass all the time,you know that?

------------------
27474709.jpg

PrOzErG

Im just trying to help everyone here and the only thing i get i shit jesus!!!!!!!

------------------

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
well...i probably was too harsh..

was only tryin to say that this person can probably read and see,
therefore if hes askin an opinion on a certain deal,he couldnt probably care less about something else

and if he found the site i'm sure he has already visited the store,dont you think?

probably you're simply helpful and supportive,
and i,suspicious bastard that i am,
see something else in that...

sorry then

------------------
27474709.jpg

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I'm going to tell you right now.....
STAY AWAY FROM THE NEO CD FORMAT!!
take it from a guy who's owned every hardware 10X over...lil' exaggeration where CDZ is concerned,I've owned about 6 of those things...
If you go the CD route you will never experience Neo Geo,just Demo's of the real thing.
There are only two titles on CD that i prefer over ROM and they are: Metal Slug & Real Bout Fatal Fury.
The CONS of a CD system are CD load times.They are a disaster for today's gamer who's used to PSX,Saturn,DC,etc..
If your CD system malfunctions,who are you going to get to repair it??? Where can you purchase a replacement lens??? I know one guy who knows of this and he still won't tell me to this day :> It's been about a 3 year secret thus far plus the lens was quoted to me as costing up to $100,that;s just for the lens,you install it yourself.
the CD games have frames of animation missing,loading in between rounds of later fighters,characters actually chopped down from their original arcade size,etc
What else you need to know???
Yeah,I know you get a better quality of music on some titles(RBFF,MS) and your little pic galleries,etc.
The CONS outweigh the PRO's.
The bottom line is if you purchase the ROM,you are shelling out your hard earned dollars for an 'ARCADE GAME' not a 'HOME Translation'
I would purchase a DC before I'd purchase a Neo Geo CD for SNK ports.
I've owned just about every title for the Neo Geo CD ORIGINAL minus the one or two Mahjong games trying to be a 'WANNA BE' collecter and the only one I was foolin' was myself.
I will admit that all the titles pre- 95 load and play just fine on the Neo geo CD right up to KOF 94' with a few exceptions after that ie 'Metal Slug' but stay away unless your used to Commodore 64 1541 'load times' with the majority of the later games or a 1541 with Fast Load cartridge for pre 95'

brhead5.gif

-BB

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
1.is the cd system EXACT arcade quality or is it true that some games have frames of animation cut out to remix soundtracks ?.

The remixed sound tracks sound better in most cases. Real Bout Fatal Fury has beautiful
music. Some games (like RBFFS) have missing frames of animation (i.e. Krauser is lacking
numerous frames of animation (its noticeable, trust me)) so you might want to purchase a
cartridge system.

2.is it true that the drives/lenses are crap and will pack up after a few years
?.

Not if you keep them clean. Most people never clean the CD system's lens, and this usually leads to permanent I/O read errors. My Neo CDZ started acting strange recently (it would reset in the middle of a game or the graphics would glitch) but after using a typical CD cleaning disc, all my problems disappeared.

3.which system is more reliable the front loading or top loading system ?.

Like Prozerg said, the front loading Neo CD system isn't very reliable. The motors that
control the front loading CD tray burn out easily (from excessive use no less).

4.is this a good deal for a cart system:

-american cart system c/w 1 joystick, cabling, ac adaptor and samurai showdown 2. price:
£390(irish pounds)= $452 inc shipping.

I think you could do better. You might want to try Ebay.

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
http://neonews.cjb.net