Neo Games That Surprised You

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
I don't think anyone has talked about this, but I figured I would start this thread anyways.

What are some Neo games that surprised you?

The experience can either be positive, negative, or neutral.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
I'll go first, a Neo game that surprised me very recently was Ganryu. I was told it was a very "meh" game. So when I tried it on my 161 in 1, I was expecting just that. To my surprise, I actually enjoyed the game. It's no Ninja Gaiden or Shinobi, but it's definitely worth a playthrough.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
There is a way with unibios cheats and enough alcohol to make galaxy fight play alot like bushido blade.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm surprised at how much more I like Fatal Fury 3 than others in the series. I know it's a half step between the real bout and main series, however it just clicked well with me and is usually my go to mainline FF game.

Also, breakers is a fun one.

One that surprised me negatively was savage reign. Not too big a fan of the mechanics and it just didn't feel very fun to play

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
^A-effing-men

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Blazing Star surprised me. I didn't know the Neo could do the things it did in that game.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'll go first, a Neo game that surprised me very recently was Ganryu. I was told it was a very "meh" game. So when I tried it on my 161 in 1, I was expecting just that. To my surprise, I actually enjoyed the game. It's no Ninja Gaiden or Shinobi, but it's definitely worth a playthrough.
It's about setting expectations. If you paid a lot for the MVS cart ten years ago you might be disappointed. If you've been told it's not great, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
Windjammers. I thought this game was basically pong, but its so much more. Its super entertaining with friends and family to play with and i really dig the side games. Add superb graphics and i can understand why this is a cult classic.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
A game I can say I was pretty let down by, was 8 Man. It looked really cool through gameplay footage, but actually playing and beating the game just felt incredibly lacking.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
magical drop
i never really got into the arcade puzzle games, but this one had me hooked. It was probably the most played game on my Big Red.

Last edited:

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Blazing Star surprised me. I didn't know the Neo could do the things it did in that game.
Pretty much this. I played a lot of Neo Geo games that looked great, Metal Slug, Last Blade, Samurai Showdown, all have excellent art and animation, but Blazing Star really blew me away with how crazy some of the graphics were. Full animated backgrounds, massive fluid well animated sprites, tons of particles. I originally played it on an emulator and figured there was no way it ran full speed on the Neo, then I got a MVS cart and was totally blown away again.

Along these lines, Garou, and in particular, the Garou church bells level is really impressive.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Oh for sure, Blazing Star is a game I felt where the use of pre-rendered assets was done right. The game looks, sounds, and plays beautifully. Even if the word "BONUS" is stuck in my head, after a session.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Matrimelee. Always heard it wasn't great, etc etc. Bought it about ten years ago...quickly became my #1 Neo game to play fun factor wise

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Zed Blade for me. I expected it to be a decent little shoot 'em up but I enjoyed a lot more than I should've + Manabu Namiki's OST is really good!

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Top hunter, I was really thinking i would like the game from watching gameplay online. I just could never get into the game like i normally do with other neo geo games. I still think it is a gorgeous game to look at and I play it now and then but it was a huge disappointment for me as i thought i would love it. I think its a quality game just could never get it to click for me personally..

For platformers on the neo I play spinmaster a hell of a lot more then i play top hunter.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Top hunter, I was really thinking i would like the game from watching gameplay online. I just could never get into the game like i normally do with other neo geo games. I still think it is a gorgeous game to look at and I play it now and then but it was a huge disappointment for me as i thought i would love it. I think its a quality game just could never get it to click for me personally..

For platformers on the neo I play spinmaster a hell of a lot more then i play top hunter.
I played the first stage of Top Hunter on Neo Geo CD Special several times, and it was amazing! Then I got the real game and it got old fast.

I hope to some day get into it again, and I'm hoping there's more there than surface level.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I didn't expect to enjoy playing Magical Drop 3, Turf Masters and League Bowling as much as I do. Fatal Fury Special and Riding Hero on the other hand...

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I played the first stage of Top Hunter on Neo Geo CD Special several times, and it was amazing! Then I got the real game and it got old fast.

I hope to some day get into it again, and I'm hoping there's more there than surface level.
TOP HUNTER strikes me as being a HIGH SCORE type of game. You definitely have to take your time with that one and take in the whole atmosphere.
I definitely have to pick up a copy of this when I get the chance.....
The game I was most pleasantly surprised with was SHOCK TROOPERS...I was/am blown away by the graphics and gameplay.Anybody know how to make that soldier come out with the AFRO constantly that drops ammo and other items??Another one that surprised me was NITD
BB

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Back in '92 all the reviews of Andro Dunos were devastating and it really didn't look good on those poor quality photos in my mags, taken from CRTs running on CVBS. The minute I played it for my own, though, I had the surprise of a lifetime half a decade later. Better late than never. Twinkle Star Sprites surprised me, too: I had no idea that I could actually be good at it. I didn't expect Matrimelee to be so godly crazy, a Tarantino movie disguised as a video game. Savage Reign's bad rep surprised me, and lately, Miracle Adventure grew on me after I realised that it was more Wonder Boy than Joe & Mac. Data East truly ruled on the Neo!