Neo Geo 3

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
In an era when SNK actually released SSV Perfect, anything is possible.
They were able to based off of sheer luck since one of the devs for it managed to find it on a hard drive stored in a drawer. Not like they kept it in the software vaults.

MOTW2's code was confirmed lost by (I believe) Oda. For that to ever see the light of day, a similar miracle of luck will have to happen. Even then it wasn't finished, whereas SSV Perfect was.

SNK is pretty firmly past 2D. If there's a snowball's chance in hell of any 2D projects getting released, it'd be farmed out to third parties.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
That's a shame about the source code, but pretty typical for the time period. I believe as long as Oda is at SNK, MotW2 has a chance of appearing in some form or another.

As for 2D, I'm not sure I'd count SNK entirely out. It's a huge part of their reputation and there are still employees there trained in it. They've stuck with recycled sprites for the mobile Slug games and all new spritework for Tactics. Leyou has put SNK on fast, cheap products like the Neo Geo Mini, and cheap 3D games. With new (at least partial) ownership, that may change. Forever is a long time.

That said, the Neo 3's development must predate the buyout and so it'll probably be a cheap cashgrab.

Fygee

20 Year Member
If a MOTW2 ever comes to light, I think it would be a good idea to go the Guilty Gear X3rd route for graphics. Make it look like a traditional animation using a modern 3D engine. Farm it out to Dimps or something for development.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
They were able to based off of sheer luck since one of the devs for it managed to find it on a hard drive stored in a drawer. Not like they kept it in the software vaults.

MOTW2's code was confirmed lost by (I believe) Oda. For that to ever see the light of day, a similar miracle of luck will have to happen. Even then it wasn't finished, whereas SSV Perfect was.

SNK is pretty firmly past 2D. If there's a snowball's chance in hell of any 2D projects getting released, it'd be farmed out to third parties.
WAIT! MOTW2's source code is lost? That fucking blows :(

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
If a MOTW2 ever comes to light, I think it would be a good idea to go the Guilty Gear X3rd route for graphics. Make it look like a traditional animation using a modern 3D engine. Farm it out to Dimps or something for development.
As long as the game doesn't play like those anime fighters and actually feels like MOTW, I'm on board.

Fygee

20 Year Member
WAIT! MOTW2's source code is lost? That fucking blows :(
Yeah, it was mentioned in an interview. I believe it was the same one where they gave us a screenshot of the character sprites. I made a thread about it a while back.

Not really a surprise. SNK 1.0 was definitely no Nintendo when it came to data retention and record keeping. The chaos caused by the Aruze buyout and eventual closure of SNK 1.0 unfortunately led to some important stuff getting lost, including source code to in-development games at the time of closure. I could be wrong, but I remember reading that,m after Playmore was founded, most of what was recovered was in some file cabinets that got moved around, and were lucky to find.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Many games from back then have had their code and assets lost. People weren't considering historical value, the potential for remastering the game down the line, etc. And source control wasn't nearly as good and work might be kept on media that doesn't last very long. You wrapped up a project and moved onto the next thing without thinking much of it. I'm sure the buyout didn't help.

Leback

Stakes Winner
Wasn't Dimps founded by ex SNK employees? Might be a good idea to outsource some development to them.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Yup, with the main founder being the creator of Fatal Fury and Street Fighter 1.

Not sure how many are still there, but to my knowledge they've never developed a bad product.

Not really a surprise. SNK 1.0 was definitely no Nintendo when it came to data retention and record keeping.
I was surprised (maybe shouldn’t have been) when I heard Limited Run was supposedly providing SNK assets for the pocket color comp via their personal collection.