Neo Geo AES 161 in 1 Multicart Questions

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
I have some questions about the 161 in 1 multicarts that have started showing up the past few years. I recently purchased an original AES console because I had picked up a Neo Mini and was super disappointed with it, so I returned it.. I want to be able to play the games on my TV as close to the original hardware as possible, and for the Neo it doesn't seem like there are any really good modern alternatives to do this. I have a CRT for old game consoles, so I'm not expecting amazing HDMI output, nor would I expect it from an old console. So, what better way than going with the original hardware?

Anyway, I'm in no way looking to be some HARDCORE Neo Geo AES collector. I'm not a millinoaire. I consider $100 expensive for a video game, so there's no way in hell I'm dropping $400-$10,000 on individual games that are less than 30 minutes long.. I purchased this thing soley because I was made aware of these multicarts and to me that seems like the best way to have access to this systems game library without having to sell my house to do so.

Yes, I realize they're cheap chinese crap. No, I don't care that they're cheap chinese crap. I have sega genesis, snes and nintendo ds multicarts and am super pleased with those ones, and they're all cheap chinese crap too.

I'm not making this post for opinions, cause' I already know most people are going to chime in and say "DON'T DO IT THEY"RE CHEAP CHINESE CRAP!" I already know that some of the games on them are romhacks and I already know that there are some bugs and glitches, so that's not so much my concern.

I have two main concerns.. The power issues I've heard about, and the veresion of the cartridges. I've been told that these multicarts require additional power and you need a better power supply for the console. So, my question is, can someone recommend or point me in the right direction of the PSU I would need to run one of these carts?

The other question is, what is a good source online to buy one of these to minimize issues and avoid total crap? Ebay? Aliexpress? Somewhere else? Is there a particular version of one of these carts that's better than another one? What is a reasonable price? I've seen them go anywhere from $125 up to $500 so what's the difference between them to affect the prices that much? Should I go with one of the AES multicarts or one of the MVS multicarts?

Can someone help me out with this? It wuld be much appreciated!

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
This is a cool idea, and I appreciate your recommendation, but I already bought the AES console.. I'm really just looking for the highest quality multicart option.
Darksoft Multi or NeoSD Pro.

Good luck finding one in stock.

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
Darksoft Multi or NeoSD Pro.

Good luck finding one in stock.

I've been looking at these two options.. Seems like a good idea. Do they also require more PSU power just lke the 161 in 1 carts or are they stable on the stock PSU?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Darksoft highly recommend a new PSU, they are dirt cheap at https://en.retrogamesupply.com/collections/neo-geo given how much most Neo Geo Stuff costs. Probably the same advice for NeoSD as well.

I didn’t read your really, really long post about the 161 cart as it was boring. But, look - they are cheap and get the basics down - so just buy one! Or don’t, and wait for the NeoSD or Darksoft carts to get back in stock.

NeoSD is sometimes in stock on the terraonion website, Darksoft have a waiting list on their forums for the next batch which will happen sometime in the next year or so. A cheap 161 in 1 would tide you over.

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
Darksoft highly recommend a new PSU, they are dirt cheap at https://en.retrogamesupply.com/collections/neo-geo given how much most Neo Geo Stuff costs. Probably the same advice for NeoSD as well.

I didn’t read your really, really long post about the 161 cart as it was boring. But, look - they are cheap and get the basics down - so just buy one! Or don’t, and wait for the NeoSD or Darksoft carts to get back in stock.

NeoSD is sometimes in stock on the terraonion website, Darksoft have a waiting list on their forums for the next batch which will happen sometime in the next year or so. A cheap 161 in 1 would tide you over.

Okay, so as long as you use a replacement PSU with one of 161 in 1 carts it shoudl run stable and not fry the system? Perfectly safe?

Misos

New Challenger
If you don't want to spent too much money MVS is always the better option.

Iconoclast12

New Challenger

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
You're really overthinking this. Try it, if it has a random crash buy a new PSU. Your Neo isn't going to burst into flames if your PSU is underpowered and you turn it on to see that it has issues.

This.

The games will glitch or freeze if the PSU is underpowered. It doesn’t suddenly become a WMD.

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
Okay, at this point all I want to know is if 12v is too much voltage. My AES uses the Pro-Pow3 adapter. I just want to make sure I don't fry the console..

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm a bit confused about something..

Here is the PSU they recommend at the link you provided above https://en.retrogamesupply.com/collections/neo-geo/products/power-supply-for-snk-neo-geo-aes

View attachment 62942

Here is the original AES stock PSU...

View attachment 62943

And here is the one that is recommended on aliexpress to use with the 161 in 1 multicarts..

View attachment 62944

As you can see, the ratings are all over the place. So, what is the true recommended output/input ratings for these carts?
Which AES system do you have? What power supply does it say to use on the bottom of the system? (The pic you posted is a 10v supply, so I assume you have a system that says to use the NEO-POW3.)

I ask because the 5v systems generally have no issues with mulitcarts and converters, but the 10v systems (like it appears yours is) do. As others pointed out in this thread, the aftermarket PSU's that provide a bit more power (and aren't as deteriorated) are known to fix issues with the multicarts.

Your stock supply might work fine, so you can try it, but you might need the aftermarket supply.

Iconoclast12

New Challenger
Which AES system do you have? What power supply does it say to use on the bottom of the system? (The pic you posted is a 10v supply, so I assume you have a system that says to use the NEO-POW3.)

I ask because the 5v systems generally have no issues with mulitcarts and converters, but the 10v systems (like it appears yours is) do. As others pointed out in this thread, the aftermarket PSU's that provide a bit more power (and aren't as deteriorated) are known to fix issues with the multicarts.

Your stock supply might work fine, so you can try it, but you might need the aftermarket supply.

Hopefully the picture helps.. It’s a pro-pow 3 and as you can see earlier in the thread the psu I have is 10v 1000mA (1 amp?).

The recommendation for the 161 in 1 carts according to aliexpress is 12v 5a but I am a bit paranoid about that considering the rating for the console is 10.. I basically just want confirmation that I can use a 12v psu with this thing without frying it?

Attachments

• A37FB617-031D-4EDF-B7B1-29105CA12D16.png
    A37FB617-031D-4EDF-B7B1-29105CA12D16.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 8

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Hopefully the picture helps.. It’s a pro-pow 3 and as you can see earlier in the thread the psu I have is 10v 1000mA (1 amp?).

The recommendation for the 161 in 1 carts according to aliexpress is 12v 5a but I am a bit paranoid about that considering the rating for the console is 10.. I basically just want confirmation that I can use a 12v psu with this thing without frying it?
The one they sell at the Neo Stores is also 12v:

It will be fine. The voltage regulator inside the system is bumping the 10-12v down anyway. It's within its tolerance range, and it's necesarry for many converters and multicarts.

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Okay, at this point all I want to know is if 12v is too much voltage. My AES uses the Pro-Pow3 adapter. I just want to make sure I don't fry the console..
Yes its too much, its going to heat up the voltage regulator unnecessary, cooking the caps next to it, 9V is what you want.
Personally I prefer Leicke Dymo as PSU (9V 2A positive outside), the ones from retrogamesupply are not that great tbh considering the price, only 1.5A, caused an issue for a guy using brooks wireless adapter on his AES and a 161-in-1 cart.

For the AES I recommend the old version of the cart (the AES version was always a bit better manufactured than the MVS version), works great with UniBios 4 pIck'N'Mix, also its cheaper.

It will be fine. The voltage regulator inside the system is bumping the 10-12v down anyway. It's within its tolerance range, and it's necesarry for many converters and multicarts.
There is virtually no cooling inside, it is going to heat the caps up a lot.
The regulator goes up to 35V, but only with proper cooling.
Had a case like that, both caps leaked, very likely overvoltage, fine for the regulator, bad for everything around it.

PXL_20210730_180022620.jpg

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
you're disagreeing with Xian Xi's post here
Hard to say if I disagree tbh, it doesn't mention the voltage of that replacement PSU.

In any case, IME the 9V AES run more stable with a 161-in-1 when given a proper PSU (9V 2A), compared to the 5V AES and a proper PSU (the opriginaols are too weak IMO).

The internal regulator has advantages, like you can keep the voltage lower (9V is plenty) and add more amps, also keeps the heat down.