Neo Geo AES commercial 90's USA

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Does anybody remember the Neo Geo commercial for the AES, most likely early 90's?

I believe it was "bigger badder better" themed but I could be wrong, I think it referenced the Genesis and the NES or could have been Super NES.

Its the only Neo Geo commercial I remember from back in the day, at least that was shown on commercial television in the US.

More importantly - does it exist anywhere online?

YouTube has not yielded any results, just some Japanese commercials for games like AOF etc. Same for google.

Any info would be appreciated.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Hopefully this isn't leading in the wrong direction, but all I remember of air time for neo geo back in the day was on episodes of video power season 2, where you could win one, they would show the system and the bigger badder better logo and talk it up a little bit during the show.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I never saw a television commercial for the neogeo in America. Maybe one was aired in California or New York, as those were key markets back then? (I was born & raised in Miami and they certainly didn’t air one there) The closest thing that I can think of that MIGHT have aired, would have been a specialty electronics store specifically mentioning the neo among other items in the ad. Like perhaps in New York, the store “Nobody beats the Wiz”.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Hopefully this isn't leading in the wrong direction, but all I remember of air time for neo geo back in the day was on episodes of video power season 2, where you could win one, they would show the system and the bigger badder better logo and talk it up a little bit during the show.

Yeah, no - this was an actual commercial for the Neo Geo - fog and smoke and smacktalk about the Genesis and Nintendo. Thanks though!

I never saw a television commercial for the neogeo in America. Maybe one was aired in California or New York, as those were key markets back then? (I was born & raised in Miami and they certainly didn’t air one there) The closest thing that I can think of that MIGHT have aired, would have been a specialty electronics store specifically mentioning the neo among other items in the ad. Like perhaps in New York, the store “Nobody beats the Wiz”.

Could be a New York thing, but was definatley a dedicated, Neo Geo SNK commercial, not a Wiz or Macy's commercial. It might have shown the Genesis and Nintendo "blowing up" (literally) when compared to the Neo Geo. We're talking almost 30 years and there is only so much I can remember (not to mention all the good drugs and alcohol back then). Seriously though I will have to do some more digging.

I know there used to be a repository online where you could search for old television footage that had been archived (I searched once for Astrocade commercials and an old television show my Dad was on) but I cannot remember the site.

If anybody knows a good archival site I can search through please let me know.

Thanks for the responses, hopefully something comes up.

I remember this Neo Geo Pocket Color US commercial airing on TV:

Even mentioned being able to link to the Sega Dreamcast!

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Pretty sure SNK didn’t do a commercial.

They hardly even did proper print ads after the first two years. And even those were only in a handful of magazines.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Pretty sure SNK didn’t do a commercial.

They hardly even did proper print ads after the first two years. And even those were only in a handful of magazines.

If not SNK, I'm not sure who. It's too bad we don't have access to more SNK USA resources or former employees, although I'm guessing we'd have a better chance if it was somebody from marketing...

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
That was kind of a big deal. Would have been nice if more games were supported.
It's what really got me into Neo Geo. I think the early death of the Dreamcast robbed us of many innovative uses of the link cable.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's what really got me into Neo Geo. I think the early death of the Dreamcast robbed us of many innovative uses of the link cable.
Really? That was due to the death or the DC and not the death of the NGP?

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
I have found a site which might be able to search for the commercial through their archives - they do charge for a copy of the commercial but I'll cross that bridge when/if they get there.

As a point of reference is the info on Wikipedia correct that the North American release date of the AES was August 22, 1990?

I have to give them an approximate air date but 1990 - 1991 is going to have to do if that date is correct. I received my first Gold system as a Christmas gift and that was probably 1990 or 1991.