Neo Geo AES Doesn't Load Games - Blue Screen (Fixed)

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
Hey all,

I had this Neo Geo AES which wasn't loading any games. Despite being sent by its original owner to a well known shop that does repairs here in the UK, it was returned with no work being undertaken. The diagnosis was possible faulty BIOS (as it had a piggybacked UniBios in socket), and water damage to two "SM Semis" (what are those?).

When I tried it, boots up to blue screen only (hardware test OK).

aes_repair310108_1.jpg

Anyway I checked out the mainboard and after about 5 minutes I spotted the broken trace below, which was just above the cartridge slot.

aes_repair310108_2.jpg

I used my multimeter to determine which cartridge port pin the trace was from, and where its destination should be. It was from cartridge port pin 10A, to the Toshiba TMP68HC000N-12 CPU pin 62.

I connected the two points with a piece of kynar wire, and now the system loads cartridges just perfectly.

aes_repair310108_3.jpg

Also added a 75 ohm resistor to each of the R, G and B lines since they had none, and the intensity of the signals would be a bit too high on an RGB SCART equipped television without them.

Hope this helps anyone else with a similar issue.

Cheers,
CJ.

Nice one, you must have got that at a good price as was on eBay for £19.99 faulty and never sold.

Shows what some shops know, but going with that shops rep (based in London). sounds just like them.

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
$-top-cat-$ said:
Nice one, you must have got that at a good price as was on eBay for £19.99 faulty and never sold.

Shows what some shops know, but going with that shops rep (based in London). sounds just like them.

Yeah -- I forgot to bid on it actually :p I gave him £20 + delivery.

Still wondering what "SM Semis" are! The mind boggles really :mr_t: