Neo Geo AES on a Flatscreen TV

Floob

Kabuki Klasher
Hi,

I have a scart cable giving me an RGB signal on my AES at the moment.

I have been thinking about hooking this up in my kitchen, but for aesthetic and space purposes, I was thinking of using a LCD or Plasma TV instead of a CRT.

Do you guys think this would change the image drastically, or is there anything else I should be considering?

As an aside, I would love to see any pics of AES setups that allow easy gaming on a stool, a la cabinet style.

Thanks

Floob.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I have been thinking about hooking this up in my kitchen, but for aesthetic and space purposes, I was thinking of using a LCD or Plasma TV instead of a CRT.

Do you guys think this would change the image drastically, or is there anything else I should be considering?

I tried my AES with a wide screen LCD and it didn't look very good. It stretches (distorts) the image. CRT's are good because most of them are 4:3 ratio, plus they tone down the pixilization of Neo graphics a bit(probably more on smaller screens than larger ones). Most good brand name LCD's and Plasma's are only sold in widescreen now. I don't think plasma sets were ever made in 4:3 ratio. Maybe go for a cheap brand LCD in 4:3 ratio, or a second hand 4:3 LCD.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
The fact that the image is stretched is irrelevant, any decent widescreen TV will allow you to display the image in 4:3. However any decent widescreen TV will also not make the image look stretched in the first place.

The problem with HDTV's is that they are (obviously) high resolution screens. In order to display a low resolution source such as a Neo Geo the image must be converted into the screens native resolution which results in the image looking blocky.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
would I be ok running an aes through component on a 57inch projection crt?

francovel3

Crossed Swords Squire
got mine linked upto a 42" toshiba lcd and it looks like shit i do not recomend it, and thats with rgb modification, rgb scart

Oliver_UK

n00b
I tried running my NEO on my HD projector but the image flickered a lot through the RGB scart. Something to do with the frequencies.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I tried running my NEO on my HD projector but the image flickered a lot through the RGB scart. Something to do with the frequencies.

My projector does the same with my supergun via component but it plays my CMVS via component just fine.

francovel3

Crossed Swords Squire
yea mine flickers like every 15 seconds or when something major happends on the screen

Floob

Kabuki Klasher
The problem with HDTV's is that they are (obviously) high resolution screens. In order to display a low resolution source such as a Neo Geo the image must be converted into the screens native resolution which results in the image looking blocky.

I'm not looking for an HDTV, and I guess you could just force it into SD mode anyway?
I wonder if anyone has their AES running on a flatsvreen and is happy with it?

francovel3

Crossed Swords Squire
nope not happy with it but aint got no choice as my crt tv blew up 2 years ago and upgraded to a lcd, but i do a little 15" crt but to small for my eyes lol

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I have my neo hooked up to a 60" HDTV and it looks fantastic. I had to use component outputting to an XRGB2+ and take the VGA out of the XRGB2+ into the tv. With some minor fiddling it looks amazing.

neo geo forever

Cheng's Errand Boy
15 Year Member
Mine looked like crap on my LCD so I just bought a cab instead....old school machine on old school monitor.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i heard using a neo on an lcd could blow it up????! is this true??? :conf:

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Note that, unless you have a signal deinterlacer (expensive) or a very high-end TV with one built in (even more expensive), you're likely to run into more combing artifacts... particularly noticeable on shadows or during any "shaking" anim (such as gethits). Annoying, but not unplayable. Sadly, the Neo has never had any mod to allow for progressive output, to my knowledge... which would be pretty rockin'.

On that note, would such a thing be possible on a supergun?

francovel3

Crossed Swords Squire
ok here are my pics which i dont think look nice on lcd

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

francovel3

Crossed Swords Squire
I have my neo hooked up to a 60" HDTV and it looks fantastic. I had to use component outputting to an XRGB2+ and take the VGA out of the XRGB2+ into the tv. With some minor fiddling it looks amazing.

DUDE I HAVE TO SEE IT ON 60" THE CHARACTERS MUST BE BIGGER THAN YOU lol

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
I want a Hantarex monitor for this very reason.. but due to lack of space I am stuck with a 14" Bush.. (har har :))

Here is a picture of an AES with RGB bypass running on my Samsung 32" LCD HDTV via RGB SCART. The picture quality is bad and part of the screen wobbles, presumably due to the oddball Neo Geo sync rate.

samsung32lcdneo.jpg

Samsung are the worst HDTVs for retro gaming. Most other consoles don't even sync properly on it.

P.S. Yes I know I am in widescreen mode. I don't play retro games on my HDTV so I couldn't be bothered to change to 4:3 ratio..

francovel3

Crossed Swords Squire
I want a Hantarex monitor for this very reason.. but due to lack of space I am stuck with a 14" Bush.. (har har :))

Here is a picture of an AES with RGB bypass running on my Samsung 32" LCD HDTV via RGB SCART. The picture quality is bad and part of the screen wobbles, presumably due to the oddball Neo Geo sync rate.

samsung32lcdneo.jpg

Samsung are the worst HDTVs for retro gaming. Most other consoles don't even sync properly on it.

P.S. Yes I know I am in widescreen mode. I don't play retro games on my HDTV so I couldn't be bothered to change to 4:3 ratio..

sup james its me franko mine looks better in the picture than sitting in front of it but over all the modds you done for me are exellent thanks......

CADMAN2K

Kabuki Klasher
It seems as though Hantarex have dropped the CRT range and only seem to do LCD and Plasma, anyome know if these displays are indeed any different to your run of the mill LCD/Plasma TV's.?

daybona

Juz,

This is the only way to make non hd systems look decent on a high def tv. Turn down sharpness and turn on scanlines and you've got yourself a very good image.

Only prob with using the neo on it is you need a 21 pin rgb cable for it and those are tough to come by.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
21 pins? Why does it seem like thats 16 too many?

Floob

Kabuki Klasher
Surely a flatscreen (LCD or Plasma) isnt necessarily an HD TV?
Most of these can do SD or HD.

So does the issue lie in Plasma and LCD technology, or is the issue elsewhere?

What makes a CRT so good at gaming with an AES? The refresh rate? The amount of lines? Something else?

daybona

Juz,
21 pins? Why does it seem like thats 16 too many?

21 pins refers to the size of the adapter, but certainly not all pins are used. I say 21 pin so people know what type of neo rgb cable is required as there are several versions out there afaik.

Check out gamesx.com for more info.

daybona

Juz,
Surely a flatscreen (LCD or Plasma) isnt necessarily an HD TV?
Most of these can do SD or HD.

So does the issue lie in Plasma and LCD technology, or is the issue elsewhere?

What makes a CRT so good at gaming with an AES? The refresh rate? The amount of lines? Something else?

Wikipedia is your friend