Neo Geo AES Serial Number Prices

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I’m starting to know details about the Neo Geo AES. I have read that lower serial numbers have better components and better video outputs. My question is, is buying a brand new never used Neo Geo AES with serial number 330xxx for $ 2,600, is a fair price or a waste of money? I put the photos of the console they are selling. I hope you can help me. Thanks.

28857AAC-BA46-4F72-9F29-1EA499AB3682.jpeg9042D199-8769-4994-99B3-A62B0C8534E7.jpegE021DFFF-FD5C-4E41-9FEF-482C0B778615.jpeg

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
It's a later run, Japanese silver system. I know that English systems go for the most now, especially boxed ones & DEFINITELY if it's a boxed gold system in collectors condition, but $2,600 seems O.K. I suppose. Then again, I have been out of the game for a while. Given the prices I have seen for carts & other things Neo I could see others asking more, perhaps much more.

The other half of the issue at hand should be: What does your friend plan to do with it?

If it's to buy to collect & keep new then that holds more water but if he's paying such a premium to start using it....well, then that's a tidy wad of cash to burn.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
It's worth what someone will pay for it, so whatever you pay, it's worth it to you. However, it may not be worth it to someone else. Hope this helps.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
In this day and age why would you pay $2,600 for a nos AES to play on it? If you want a late serial 330XXX AES or an earlier model (because some people claim the internal components are better) then both can be had used for a lot less and will still play your games.

If you want a nos AES for collection purposes then I suppose your choices are going to be limited as nos systems have been rare as rocking horse shit for many years.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
To me, buying a $2600 box is fucking stupid but at four digit prices per game AES is crazy town anyway.

If you care about quality of components, supergun + MVS is the way to go. You can build a VERY nice super gun for $2600. The best sticks on Earth, the best video on Earth, etc. AES is like a cut rate child’s toy compared to a nice SG+MVS.

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
It's crazy money, even by today's standards.

The only thing that might justify a high price tag (though not that high) is the condition of the whole pack. In itself, a 300k serial japanese system is the least collectable you might want.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't know that earlier systems have better components. This probably stems from the earlier misconception that lower serial numbers have better video output.

In my opinion, the biggest example of an inferior hardware revision is how they cheaped out on the audio circuit, removing components, on the 3-4 revision. Luckily, this too can be fixed with some easy modding.

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I don't know that earlier systems have better components. This probably stems from the earlier misconception that lower serial numbers have better video output.

In my opinion, the biggest example of an inferior hardware revision is how they cheaped out on the audio circuit, removing components, on the 3-4 revision. Luckily, this too can be fixed with some easy modding.
I've owned a very late AES as well as some earlier models, and to be honest I could never tell the difference in the video output using a good quality RGB scart cable.

For decent sound on Neo-Geo you need a Neo-Geo CD :D

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If it was a 4-1 variant in boxed like new condition I'd say that price was justified otherwise no.