Neo Geo article in The New Yorker

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/the-unexpectedly-high-stakes-world-of-neo-geo-collecting

THE UNEXPECTEDLY HIGH-STAKES WORLD OF NEO GEO COLLECTING

Seven years ago, Shawn McCleskey, a dealer of rare video games, trading cards, and vintage machine guns in Memphis, Tennessee, made one of the biggest sales of his career. It unfolded like a Robert Ludlum novel. A man calling himself Wolf wired McCleskey fifty-five thousand dollars, then showed up a few days later at Memphis International Airport carrying a metallic briefcase. The two men met in the crowded arrivals hall and, after a brief stop at a local Chinese restaurant, proceeded to McCleskey's house, where Wolf inspected the merchandise - a pair of video games released in 1996 for the Neo Geo, a Japanese-made console. Satisfied with each games' condition and authenticity, Wolf opened his briefcase, which had been specially designed to house the foot-long cartridges, and locked them inside. It was as if the deal was for a bag of diamonds, McCleskey told me recently. As a condition of the sale, he agreed to keep Wolf's identity private.

Most video games, like most of everything else, depreciate in monetary value the longer they are in the world. But the Neo Geo has proved an exception, probably because its games possess the collector trifecta: quality, rarity, and expense. Launched in 1991 at a shelf price of six hundred and fifty dollars (more than eleven hundred dollars in today's money) the console was a kind of generous afterthought on the part of its Osaka-based manufacturer, SNK, whose primary focus was its thriving arcade business. Unlike rival consoles of the time, which presented watered-down versions of contemporary arcade hits, the Neo Geo was true to its origins, right down to its circuitry. The chunky cartridges came in fat plastic cases and cost an average of two hundred and fifty dollars. As a result, the market was limited, and many of the games were produced in small numbers - perhaps as few as a hundred. (The launch of the final official title, Samurai Spirits Zero, took place in 2003, though third-party developers continue to release new games for the system today.)

When McCleskey was twenty-nine, he inherited a few hundred thousand dollars from his father. He invested half of the money in the stock market and spent the rest on Neo Geo cartridges and Magic: The Gathering cards. At the time, I was living in my mom's basement, he said. Family friends and family saw me pouring my inheritance into video games. They saw it as no better than buying magic beans. In recent years, his stock portfolio has dwindled, but Neo-Geo.com, the Web site and online store he runs, has become steadily more profitable. Last spring, McCleskey sold three cartridges to a buyer in South Korea for forty-five thousand dollars. The Neo Geo attracts collectors because, compared with coins, stamps, and comics, you can go years and not find what you're looking for, he said.

The majority of the Neo Geo game library is freely (if unofficially) available to play online, and SNK has ported many of the best-known and most expensive titles to modern consoles, offering them for a fraction of their original price. This new ubiquity, however, has had no apparent effect on the collectors market. Digital distribution has freed video games from their physical hosts, just as it did with music, films, and books, but the craving for tangibility remains. There is obviously something special about playing those games on the original systems, Yasuyuki Oda, a veteran game designer at SNK, told me. And they look great when they're lined up on a bookshelf. Still, despite a vibrant collecting scene, no more than five people in the world own a full collection. One of them, Mahesak Puttirungsriwong, a forty-year-old mathematics tutor from Thailand, estimates that he has spent around two hundred thousand dollars on Neo Geo games in the past twenty-six years. I don't know know the exact figure, he told me. Because of my wife, it is better to forget. Puttirungsriwong completed his collection last April with a European copy of Kizuna Encounter, a fighting game, which he bought from a friend in Italy for thirty thousand euros. (There are fewer than ten cartridges in existence.) People who grew up hearing about the Neo Geo are now grown up and earning enough to chase their childhood dream, Puttirungsriwong said. They are willing to pay for it. The demand is increasing, and the prices with it.

Inevitably, the disparity between demand and supply has lured counterfeiters. The first widespread Neo Geo fakes surfaced in the mid-two-thousands. Bootleggers would buy the cheaper arcade version of a game, pry the chips from the circuit board, and affix them to a blank Neo Geo cartridge. High-quality reproductions of the paper inserts and instruction booklets were then used to deceive unwitting buyers. In recent years, counterfeit Neo Geo games have become so widespread, and the fidelity so high, that one collector, a graphic designer from Palm Beach County, Florida, who goes by the name 8man requested anonymity, saying that he didn't need anyone stopping by, if you know what I mean - has begun offering authentication services to other buyers. So far, he has inspected more than fifty cartridges, and has found many to be complete or partial fakes. The bootleggers have ruined it all, he told me. I guess that's what happens when a million subscribers of some retro YouTube channel run to eBay to buy that gem they just saw in a video.

As collectors have become savvier about counterfeits, the bootleggers, the majority of whom are based in France and Germany, have become more up-front about their wares. Demand for rare titles is such that many players will knowingly spend hundreds of dollars on a fake grail, just to plug a gap in their collection. Today, most bootleggers don't bother to use original chips. They simply use modern off-the-shelf parts, onto which the games files are loaded. The experience is identical, one French bootlegger told me. When I spoke with Puttirungsriwong, he seemed sympathetic to the completist impulse, but Oda was mortified. I do hate the people making these pirate versions, he said.

Whenever a rare game becomes available, hundreds of posts appear on McCleskey's forum. I've seen relatively new collectors enter the market to hoard multiples of the big rares, McCleskey said. That's classic speculative investor behavior, and contributes to this seemingly never-ending appreciation. Some, however, view the endeavor with the skeptical, skewering eye of the self-aware hoarder. This is not the stock market, one Neo-Geo.com user wrote in a recent thread. It's plastic clutter lowlife and we're all casualties of nostalgia.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
In recent years, his stock portfolio has dwindled, but Neo-Geo.com, the Web site and online store he runs, has become steadily more profitable. Last spring, McCleskey sold three cartridges to a buyer in South Korea for forty-five thousand dollars.

I see the phone calls happening already: "Liquidate the securities, put it all in Neo Geo!"

Interesting read though, thanks for the share.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
The Neo-Geo, this forum, and Neo-Geo.com are in the New Yorker.....

Further proof that we are truly living in the Twilight Zone now. All bets are off. The rules no longer apply.

I found out about this on Yasuyuki Oda's Facebook page by the way.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
The bootleggers have ruined it all, he told me. I guess that's what happens when a million subscribers of some retro YouTube channel run to eBay to buy that gem they just saw in a video.

So much truth :( Sadly, this statement applies to every "retro" system now. New fans mean more people to discuss, learn, and enjoy neo geo with; but it's a shame the counterfits and bootlegs had to increase over time too.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Shawn must of forgot who set his deal up with "Wolf".

Simon contacted me for comment, but I declined - all about Aero Fighters 3 of course.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Shawn must of forgot who set his deal up with "Wolf".

Simon contacted me for comment, but I declined - all about Aero Fighters 3 of course.

I had a hunch that's what it was. I'm surprised they didn't at least throw a blurb in there about all of the controversy around it.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
The world needs to know about this place...

...and how we eat our own.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Would have been nice to still have the 'dangerous site' warnings in place for when the dirty hoards are directed here from the story.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The world needs to know about this place...

...and how we eat our own.

Neo-Geo.com is a living entity; a modern day Elizabeth Bathory - we bathe ourselves in the blood of virgins to sustain our eternal vigilance.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Good thing I haven't sold off anything Neo, because the prices should be going up even more now.:keke:

P.S. - Readers of the New Yorker now have greater insight into the depths of depravity thanks to the fucked up minds of NG.com forum members.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
An inheritance is different than a trust fund.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
What a pointless article.

Instead of mentioning the enjoyment you can get out of the games it just focuses on the monetary aspects of the Neo Geo. As if getting a fullset would be a great achievement. Get yourself a million dollars and you can have that fullset in no time. What's the point in that? Stupid.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Is this why Wind Jammers is $200 now? Thankfully nobody reads the newyorker.

Last edited:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Now everything is going up in price. Japanese fatal fury special for 300 bucks. Fucking hell

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
Great, no doubt another price spike coming. I might as well give up in my attempts to get some of my favourite AES games back and stick to MVS.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Great, no doubt another price spike coming. I might as well give up in my attempts to get some of my favourite AES games back and stick to MVS.

I know there's some high rollers here, but I don't think most people are collecting AES. It's basically completely out of reach for most people. I'm working on getting one complete MVS set & then I'm going to move onto pocket color. Hopefully prices stay stable until that happens.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Getting a full MVS set is achievable.

Based on today's market prices I couldn't even give you an estimate on what it'd cost someone just getting into MVS, or with only a handful of commons under their belt.