Neo Geo homebrew status & WIP (Xevious etc)

tcdev

NEST Puppet
Xevious Beta 2 release (including Super Xevious) is still waiting for me to fix some sound issues. I've been distracted...

There are a few other projects in the works, including an imminent Beta release of Galaxian. During the development of Xevious I was working with jotd of Amiga fame to produce a 68K transcode that is easily ported to other platforms, and we had good success. He has produced a 68K transcode based on Scott Tunstall's RE of the Z80 code, and just released an early beta of Galaxian for the Amiga. I should be able to follow suit shortly; it's basically playable on the Neo Geo now. I am also going to attempt to have it run in non-tate mode on the Neo Geo (as well).

My plans after Xevious (and now Galaxian) were to resurrect my own Donkey Kong transcode from a decade ago. I have in fact updated the code base to bring it in line with the architecture of Xevious and although it's a little glitchy, it's roughly where I left off all that time ago, namely 50% complete. This won't be finished anytime soon though as my own RE of the Z80 code is incomplete and I still have a bit of tidying up to do in the transcoded 68K I have there already. I am also going to attempt a non-tate mode as well.

Finally jotd is looking ahead and now shifting his focus onto Pengo. Again the plan will be to produce a 68K core that can be readily dropped into the Neo Geo as well. In fact getting Galaxian to run on the Neo Geo was relatively trivial, and Pengo should be no more difficult, if not easier since there's no scrolling at all.

If only I could get paid for doing this so I could give up my day job... :unsure:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Awesome to see someone is porting Pengo, as it is a personal favorite of mine!

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
If only I could get paid for doing this so I could give up my day job... :unsure:
You probably could. However, you might have a rights issue. Maybe try some IP witch has been known to whore out their licenses like IREM or Data East.

tcdev

NEST Puppet
You probably could. However, you might have a rights issue. Maybe try some IP witch has been known to whore out their licenses like IREM or Data East.
Nah, the best way to ruin your hobby is to make it your job... :sneaky: