Neo Geo Link-Up Feature Glossary info question.(MODS/SHAWN)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I was looking through the Glossary here and came across the "Link-Up Feature" info below.

Link-Up Feature
Several of the early Neo Geo AES releases featured a socket on top of the home cartridge that allowed two home systems with the same cartridge to be linked together for up to 4-player action. . There was never a link cable ever created for this feature. The three games were League Bowling, Riding Hero, and Thrash Rally.
http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/NeoGlossary/neoglossary.htm
.......................................................................................

What my question is,..Am I wrong on this?..is it still considered to be "never created"

For the longest I didn't think the link cable ever created thus making me buy a male to male end Stereo wire from an electronics store..(or making one up)

But upon getting an AES Riding Hero cart I noticed there was a link cable hidden behind the games tray.

So if I have found this and a few others have found this cable behind the tray....... was it created..?

I see posts where people say this cable was never created but I never knew where they were getting that definitive info from..

So, having a so called complete League Bowling, Riding Hero,or Thrash Rally cart "without" a link cable in it means it's not complete..Yes/No..?
Cabs.jpg

If anyone has any of the three carts listed can you check to see if you too have this link cable.?
ATARI_7800_004.jpg

LINK.jpg

ATARIx7800x006.jpg

.......................................................UPDATED...................................
MVS TO MVS LEAGUE BOWLING LINK INFO>>>>>
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1145011#post1145011post1145011

Last edited:

Sundance

Sho's Rival
OOOooooooooooooohhh! Thats explains those 2 holes on the top left of the Thrash Rally MVS cart i use to have. I was gonna ask about that awhile back but i ended up sellin the cart and forgot.:D I wonder if they had plans for the link-up feature in the Stand-up's too? Thanx for the info Chris1

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Sundance said:
OOOooooooooooooohhh! Thats explains those 2 holes on the top left of the Thrash Rally MVS cart i use to have. I was gonna ask about that awhile back but i ended up sellin the cart and forgot.:D I wonder if they had plans for the link-up feature in the Stand-up's too? Thanx for the info Chris1

Yes..you can link two to four cabs up..But as I figure there was never a link cable "created" for the MVS to do the linking so I don't know what they did to accomplish that if an Arcade owner ever did the link between cabs.
For I know/think the only "created" Link Cable was in the AES carts/versions..and this cable works on the MVS carts..MVS to MVS or MVS to AES using a Uni Bios chip in the MVS mother board to switch the BIOS setting to AES cart mode for the link up to work.(verified by me)
Or by using a Di Bug Bios chip in an AES to link to an MVS..changing the setting to MVS in the AES to MVS mode.(Not verified by me)yet.
Once I get enough of the same carts I'm going to do a 4 MVS cab link up.

I just bought a second League Bowling MVS cart so I can do a Cab to cab link..
Then I'll get two more carts.

The 3 known carts to be linkable on MVS & AES are.. League Bowling, Riding Hero,and Thrash Rally ..

Here's some info at Briggs site.

http://www.hardmvs.com/html/Downloads.htm

MVS Link Cable Instructions - Front - Back

Some of my old topics..
Neo-Geo Forums - Riding Hero link up AES to MVS.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67112&highlight=MVS+link+up+AES+To+MVS

MVS Game linking questions..Cab to Cab
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73920&highlight=MVS+link+up+AES+To+MVS
Linking League Bowling..MVS to MVS/AES.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18927&highlight=MVS+link+up+AES+To+MVS
Wanted-THRASH RALLY MVS

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83746&highlight=MVS+link+up+AES+To+MVS

League Bowling Link FAQ

http://gamenerds.8k.com/about.html

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I would have to say that is incorrect. I bought a NOS sealed home cart of Riding Hero and it had that link cable. So it had to be put in there before they sealed it, hence a link cable was made. Never had a chance to link it up though.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Yeah, you're right Chris1, the carts did all originally come with a link cable under the tray. I would definitely have to say the game isn't complete if the cable happens to be missing.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
I own a league bowling japanese (carton box) cart. Just checked behind the tray, but I've got no link cable :( It could perfectly be that the game is incomplete, since it was second-handed.

However, on the back of the box, there's a special note (which other carton box games that I own don't have) regarding the link cable. I can't figure out what does it mean, since it's all in kanji, but it says something about "NeoGeo xx set, cartridge xxx cable(stereo pinjack) xx) monitor xxx".

[OCEAN]

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
[OCEAN] said:
I own a league bowling japanese (carton box) cart. Just checked behind the tray, but I've got no link cable :( It could perfectly be that the game is incomplete, since it was second-handed.

However, on the back of the box, there's a special note (which other carton box games that I own don't have) regarding the link cable. I can't figure out what does it mean, since it's all in kanji, but it says something about "NeoGeo xx set, cartridge xxx cable(stereo pinjack) xx) monitor xxx".

[OCEAN]

Hmm,

[OCEAN]
Can you scan the special note ..?

I think someone here may be able to read it..

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
chris1 said:
Hmm,

[OCEAN]
Can you scan the special note ..?

I think someone here may be able to read it..

There you go.
My scanner is out of order, so I had to use my shitty digicam. At least it's readable ;)

link.jpg

[OCEAN]

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
[OCEAN] said:
There you go.
My scanner is out of order, so I had to use my shitty digicam. At least it's readable ;)

link.jpg

[OCEAN]

Cool..

I'm going to post it in a few spots within this site and see if anyone can translate it for us..

SHO

Raiden's Valet
i have a riding hero... it comes with a link cable

i think many ppl didnt know... cos it was hidden

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
[OCEAN] said:
There you go.

link.jpg

[OCEAN]

I posted this in a few spots..greyimp was able to figure out what's below.
]
trans.txt

Freelancer

Banned
The NOS copy of Riding Hero I bought from the Neostore last month had the link cable included. I made a post about my exciting find as well.

I could tell right away that my Riding Hero had the cable even before I unsealed it because the case was heavier and the case seemed a bit expanded at the ends.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Freelancer said:
The NOS copy of Riding Hero I bought from the Neostore last month had the link cable included. I made a post about my exciting find as well.

I could tell right away that my Riding Hero had the cable even before I unsealed it because the case was heavier and the case seemed a bit expanded at the ends.

Sweet!
Another verification that this Cable was created..:)and the game is from the Neostore ..

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
chris1 said:
I posted this in a few spots..greyimp was able to figure out what's below.
]
trans.txt

Yup, just a few errors there: It's "Cable" not "Table" and "Pinjack" not "Monaural".
Also, if I'n not wrong, the two kanjis after "Neogeo" can be read as help book, manual or something. That would make sense in a way, reading it as "Neogeo manual set, cartridge, cable (stereo pinjack), monitor ga..."

Could be the list of components originally packed with the game and a notice about the monitor (since this last one it is treated as subject, hence the particle "ga").

Anyway, I'm sure there are many people here that can read this correctly, I'm just lame at it ;)

Anyone who owns a jap link-up game can confirm the cable included in the package?

[OCEAN]

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
[OCEAN] said:
Yup, just a few errors there: It's "Cable" not "Table" and "Pinjack" not "Monaural".
Also, if I'n not wrong, the two kanjis after "Neogeo" can be read as help book, manual or something. That would make sense in a way, reading it as "Neogeo manual set, cartridge, cable (stereo pinjack), monitor ga..."

Could be the list of components originally packed with the game and a notice about the monitor (since this last one it is treated as subject, hence the particle "ga").

Anyway, I'm sure there are many people here that can read this correctly, I'm just lame at it ;)

Anyone who owns a jap link-up game can confirm the cable included in the package?

[OCEAN]

Good question..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
[OCEAN] said:

[OCEAN]

Ok..
gmw translated it too.

"In order to enjoy linked play, a separate Neo-Geo console set, cartridge, link cable (stereo pinjack, non-resistant specification), and monitor are required."

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
chris1 said:
Ok..
gmw translated it too.

"In order to enjoy linked play, a separate Neo-Geo console set, cartridge, link cable (stereo pinjack, non-resistant specification), and monitor are required."

Now that seems a good translation, thanks.
Could that mean then that the link cable was not included in japanese releases? Only a USA package feautre? Interesting...

We'll have to wait for other jap link up games owners to confirm this.

[OCEAN]

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I believe that cable that came with the link up games is generic.
Does it say SNK on it?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
ORPHEUS said:
Does it say SNK on it?

I'll take a look today..:)

I'm pretty sure it's just a plain black cable (generic)No SNK on it.
Same cable packed in with League Bowling, Riding Hero, and Thrash Rally..

................................................................................................

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
ORPHEUS said:
Does it say SNK on it?

Mine does not say SNK anywhere, just looks like a generic cable. But was sealed in with the game.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
The_Chosen_One said:
Mine does not say SNK anywhere, just looks like a generic cable. But was sealed in with the game.

Thank you...The_Chosen_One

The cart you bought was a US copy yes..?

Being that these were sealed someone at SNK had to put these in the case..
But,why doesn't to many people seem to know about this cable...(?)

Or does no-one care..Where's the collectors at..?

If I bought a cart and this cable was supposed to be in it and it was missing I'd be pretty pissed(If I was sold the game as complete)

Who has the major Japanese AES collection here..?

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Bump with a added translation..By member Eldios

"In order to enjoy connected cooperative (VS) play, the Neo Geo system, cartridge, link cable (stereo pin jack, non electrical resistance), and monitor are all necessary."