Neo Geo Link-Up Feature Glossary info question.(MODS/SHAWN)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
chris1 said:
I was looking through the Glossary here and came across the "Link-Up Feature" info below.

Link-Up Feature
Several of the early Neo Geo AES releases featured a socket on top of the home cartridge that allowed two home systems with the same cartridge to be linked together for up to 4-player action. . There was never a link cable ever created for this feature. The three games were League Bowling, Riding Hero, and Thrash Rally.
http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/NeoGlossary/neoglossary.htm
.......................................................................................

What my question is,..Am I wrong on this?..is it still considered to be "never created"

For the longest I didn't think the link cable ever created thus making me buy a male to male end Stereo wire from an electronics store..(or making one up)

But upon getting an AES Riding Hero cart I noticed there was a link cable hidden behind the games tray.

So if I have found this and a few others have found this cable behind the tray....... was it created..?

I see posts where people say this cable was never created but I never knew where they were getting that definitive info from..

So, having a so called complete League Bowling, Riding Hero,or Thrash Rally cart "without" a link cable in it means it's not complete..Yes/No..?
Cabs.jpg

If anyone has any of the three carts listed can you check to see if you too have this link cable.?

Cabs.jpg

Link-Up Feature..

Several of the early Neo Geo AES releases featured a socket on top of the home cartridge that allowed two home systems with the same cartridge to be linked together for up to 4-player action..The three games were League Bowling, Riding Hero, and Thrash Rally.

BUMP

Last edited:

Neo Fan

King's Dry Cleaner
Chris1,
Did you have to pry the tray out of the case to find the cable? I have all three games and the plastic tray is firmly attached to the vinyl case. I would need to break the tray out to look under it, and I cant tell by looking if there is a cable under there. Now, I know that I bought US Thrash Rally new back in the day, and I see no evidence of a cable under there, without breaking the tray out, and I am reluctant to do that.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Neo Fan said:
Chris1,
Did you have to pry the tray out of the case to find the cable? I have all three games and the plastic tray is firmly attached to the vinyl case. I would need to break the tray out to look under it, and I cant tell by looking if there is a cable under there. Now, I know that I bought US Thrash Rally new back in the day, and I see no evidence of a cable under there, without breaking the tray out, and I am reluctant to do that.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've got a Thrash Rally homecart too, but the tray is firmly glued to the bottom of the case, and I don't wanna break it by looking for a link cable.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Neo Fan said:
Chris1,

Did you have to pry the tray out of the case to find the cable?

Nope,...

So far I only have Riding Hero that has the link cable in it..
The case slides right up...but it's a US cart...

If you have a Japanese cart you "may not" have the cable...
And if the tray doesn't slide up then there should be no cable in there..
Though..If you take the cart out and feel around the sides of the tray you will feel something that feels like wires if the cable is in it..

If you have a US cart of one of the 3 and it has no Cable in it with a non lifting tray then we have a whole new thing to look at as then some carts just didn't come with it ..and a question of why...

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
tsukaesugi said:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've got a Thrash Rally homecart too, but the tray is firmly glued to the bottom of the case, and I don't wanna break it by looking for a link cable.

Do you have a US cart or Japanese cart..?

aria

Former Moderator
Thanks for the info, I made the update along with a link to this thread.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Bobak said:
Thanks for the info, I made the update along with a link to this thread.

Thank you so much Bobak.....

That's Great!!! :buttrock:

Neo Fan

King's Dry Cleaner
Chris1:
I bought Thrash Rally and League Bowling US carts, both new back in the day. They are still in their original cartons with the stickers on the outside of the vinyl case. I bought US Riding hero used back in the day from Funcoland. As I said, all are US carts. All three have the inner tray firmly attached to the vinyl case, it won't come out without breaking it. I felt around the edges of all three cases, and there does not appear to be a link cable in there anywhere. I am looking at the pictures you provided and I noticed that there appear to be holes in the bottom of your plastic tray. Those holes correspond to the four glue points on a plastic tray. Was your tray broken out at some point? Did SNK do this at a later time and add the link cable? Is this some cruel joke? It certainly appears that not all US carts have the link cable.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
chris1 said:
Do you have a US cart or Japanese cart..?

Japanese cart. I bought it used back in 1997.

Judging from the size of the cable in your pic, it's obviously not under my tray, I'd be able to feel something taht big if it was.

Thanks for all the info.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
tsukaesugi said:
Japanese cart. I bought it used back in 1997.

Judging from the size of the cable in your pic, it's obviously not under my tray, I'd be able to feel something taht big if it was.

Thanks for all the info.

I bought mine in the recent NOS findings, and it had the cable. It is rather big so you would definately know if your had one. You can tell before you even open the clamshell due to the weight difference. It's most likely only a certain run or two of Riding Hero had the link cable as I don't believe anyone else has found one in another game, and a lot of the Riding Heroes didn't have it.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I really feel the recent NOS for theese games has been re-packaged or something.
Or possibly, some part of the 'original' US/EURO stock as well, out of the hands of SNK-America or some local distributor.

Just FYI, French official NeoGeo distributor used to add photocopied manuals in their distributed AES carts, and I'm talking of 'sealed' carts.

Truth is SNK of Japan never ever produced any 'official' link cable for the NeoGeo AES games with link feature. Nor added any generic ones withing AES cart boxes. Trays are supposed to be firmy glued within the box, yes, and by no means a cable is supposed to be placed there.

All in all, anything NeoGeo or SNK manifactured or even just assembled out of Japan is mostly freaked shit. That's because as we all know SNK never ever gave more than two shits about Western AES market. I guess you know about 'US AES carts with Japanese stickers under the US one', right? They just didn't care, and used the western market as repackaging wasteland in that case.

Oh well, no big news I guess...

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I had linked up an AES to MVS..but you have to have a unibos chip in one of the systems to change the setting to Home Console on the MVS ..or MVS/Arcade if using an AES..

Sorry it's been a long time the Unibios setting name may be different....But both the AES and MVS have to match via both being set to Arcade or Home System or it will not work..

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I had linked up an AES to MVS..but you have to have a unibos chip in one of the systems to change the setting to Home Console on the MVS ..or MVS/Arcade if using an AES..

Sorry it's been a long time the Unibios setting name may be different....But both the AES and MVS have to match via both being set to Arcade or Home System or it will not work..

Holy shit dude! How have you been?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I got old,3 kids later but still fully into the NEO GEO ,kids just enjoying playing it more then I have the time to today ..: )

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Can anyone point me in the direction of the cable I need for linking two carts? I've been looking around and am still not 100% sure what I'm supposed to be buying.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Please if you have any,Add more info to the topic for future Linkers..
IMG_3455MVS Link.jpg

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Since I'm reviewing Riding Hero, I'm curious if it and Thrash Rally support 2 players or up to 4. I can't seem to find a straight answer.