Neo Geo Mini ROM Hacked

I’ve got great news a developer friend of mine hacked the Neo Geo Mini ROM. It now plays CPS and SNES games and he is hacking it to play more game consoles. Here are a couple pictures and videos will be coming soon.

Attachments

• neogeo1.jpg
    neogeo1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 497
  • neogeo2.jpg
    neogeo2.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 499

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I’ve got great news a developer friend of mine hacked the Neo Geo Mini ROM. It now plays CPS and SNES games and he is hacking it to play more game consoles. Here are a couple pictures and videos will be coming soon.

It is great news... Until you remember that anyone with half a brain wouldn't buy this trash.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
If someone starts selling a replacement for the stick and buttons to microswitched ones this could be an interesting development.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It is great news... Until you remember that anyone with half a brain wouldn't buy this trash.

I dispute that. I've been clinically tested to possess just under 53% of a brain, and I bought one.

I'll agree that it has no worth as an alternative to owning an actual Neo, but as a novelty item, it's fantastic. It sits on my work desk where another nerd might have some action figure, and when I want to take a sudden 5 minute Metal Slug break, this thing is awesome. I'm glad I ignored my better judgement and caved.

The only thing that needs to happen is for SNK to release a compatible actual Neo CD pad, making fighters legit playable, and this thing would be absolute gold. It's funny the overblown hate it's gotten, almost universally from people who have spent much more on much stupider things.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I am surprised that it hasn't been hacked prior to this. I guess people really didn't care about this system at all.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I am surprised that it hasn't been hacked prior to this. I guess people really didn't care about this system at all.

People have been trying. Seems it was more locked down than the other classic consoles (or Neo geo x) but I’m sure the backlash also deterred people from trying

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Great news,now i want to play super Mario world on it:lolz:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I dispute that. I've been clinically tested to possess just under 53% of a brain, and I bought one.

I'll agree that it has no worth as an alternative to owning an actual Neo, but as a novelty item, it's fantastic. It sits on my work desk where another nerd might have some action figure, and when I want to take a sudden 5 minute Metal Slug break, this thing is awesome. I'm glad I ignored my better judgement and caved.

The only thing that needs to happen is for SNK to release a compatible actual Neo CD pad, making fighters legit playable, and this thing would be absolute gold. It's funny the overblown hate it's gotten, almost universally from people who have spent much more on much stupider things.
You're not allowed to have a dissenting opinion online. It's funny how people who bought this seemed to keep hope for it a while after it was released, but now we're at the point where this thing is universally hated. Especially on this site the naysayers always gradually come to dominate the conversation. Now you're not allowed to think of it as anything but absolute garbage. The Mini's stock is lower than Neo Geo X's at this point.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
You're not allowed to have a dissenting opinion online. It's funny how people who bought this seemed to keep hope for it a while after it was released, but now we're at the point where this thing is universally hated. Especially on this site the naysayers always gradually come to dominate the conversation. Now you're not allowed to think of it as anything but absolute garbage. The Mini's stock is lower than Neo Geo X's at this point.

That's because it's significantly shittier than the already shitty X

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I don't know why anyone would defend this thing even if it's on your desk at work. So you took a breather for some metal slug? could've done that with practically anything.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I don't know why anyone would defend this thing even if it's on your desk at work. So you took a breather for some metal slug? could've done that with practically anything.

He knows. He made a stupid purchase and now he's inventing reasons to legitimize it instead of admitting he collectarded it for no specific purpose.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Mine was a waste of money. I ordered it with the intention of reviewing it on Youtube and it didn't come on time. Now it's going to sit and collect dust on my shelf for the most part in all likelihood.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I could have done it with any number of things, but this is the one thing that looks like a tiny Neo cab. I don't know that I would even call my post defending it. But I would call the blasting of it overblown. Even if it did have a halfway acceptable joystick for fighters and internal battery, it would still be a poor substitute for a Neo system. It's a novelty item. That's all.

But was anyone here really ever going to use it as an substitute for playing a real Neo anyway? Really?

He knows. He made a stupid purchase and now he's inventing reasons to legitimize it
lol it was $100. Big whoop. Yeah, let me wring my hands over $100. Oh no, there goes 2 hours on a single Saturday working that I otherwise might have used reading a comic book. There's not a single person in this thread, including you -- and including me -- who has not wasted much more than $100 on something much stupider.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
the screen is not actually bad, (4:3, I believe 1:1 pixel? seems quite bright/crisp) ...it could actually be the base for a retro-handheld project if someone could 3d print a proper shell...

Tenshinhan

n00b
Yeah, the Neo Geo Mini isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I'm with SouthtownKid on this one. It's just a novelty item. The Japanese one looks cool. $100. Just like he said, it's a relatively small amount of money when you consider some of the insane things everyone buys. You can break down anything that isn't directly needed to survive to be meaningless. People are drawn to "things" though. Neo Geo Mini is a slightly cool "thing." The presentation is decent. it doesn't feel cheep. Looks good. The screen is just what you'd want it to be (native resolution and perfectly clear). 40 great games. It's fine. It's honestly fun to play at a desk. The concept of the Neo Geo X is better though. X's screen and emulation quality kill it for me. If the Neo Geo X had the 4:3 screen with the same image quality and emulation as the Neo Geo Mini, that would be ideal. Hahaha. I can't believe I'm defending the Neo Geo Mini. I don't really like it all that much. It's just the negativity towards it seems irrational. But then again, it's kind of irrational for me to care about other people's thoughts on it.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
......who has not wasted much more than $100 on something much stupider.

I spent a little over $100 yesterday at Olive Garden feeding 6. Yeah I would prefer having a neo-mini.

I might as well get one because I’m sure I’ll be going out to eat and paying for everyone many more times in the future.

I’m too lazy to hack my snes mini or fire stick or hook up my computer to the tv.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
at what point do people just build a new neo geo mini from scratch? You have to replace the stick cause it sucks, then the screen, then hack it. Where does it end?

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Received one of these as a Christmas gift. My main concern was the small screen size, but it is surprisingly clear, and easy to see. True, the stick isn’t ideal for fighting games, but it works just fine for the action games. It’s a nice little unit, for the sub $100 price point.