Neo Geo MVS Candy Cabinet

eaglesfan

Quiz Detective
Does anyone have any experience with the Japanese sit-down version of the MVS cabinet--the Neo Geo Candy or Super Neo Geo Candy. They really look like nice cabinets, but they also look really small. Are they uncomfortable to use or do they have other problems that the Regular MVS Cabinets do not have. I guess my biggest concern is there size, although taking up less space could be a bonus as long as the play is not uncomfortable or otherwise.
Thanks.

B

Bobak!

I have one (Japanese MVS) and I swear by it. The systems is:

(A) easier to open up and get inside to fix and replace carts (everything opens in the front!)

(B) They almost always have wheels on the back so you can move them easier.

(C) THE MONITOR! They generally have much larger monitors than their American bretheren.

(D) they're not very small! While they're shorter (You have to sit on a chair or stool), the large monitor makes them a bit longer than the US versions.

The Japanese are serious about video games (if you've ever been to a SE Asian style arcade in the states, you know what I'm talking about). They designed these systems to be easy to operate, efficient in size, and kick ass. I have two Japanese cabnits: a dedicated MVS and a Sega AeroCity (its a generic unit for Jamma boards). I bought each for $225 (roughly). I also have a regular American cabnit for Time Soldiers, but it's a unruly behemoth compared to the other two. There's no comparing!

Hope that helps
smile.gif

------------------
Bobak!
chen.jpg

You can also see me in the classic SNK game, "Guerrilla War" (known in Japan as "Guevara")

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
You suck Bobak, I'm very jealous! I sware I have seen a Japanese Neo Cabnet that had 2 monitors on it for 2 players. It was like the took 2 Neo Candy's, stuck them back to back and only had one player on each side. Each player had their own monitor and own single joystick/buttons. Was I on crack when I saw this, or do they exist?

B

Bobak!

Originally posted by NeoTurfMasta:
You suck Bobak, I'm very jealous! I sware I have seen a Japanese Neo Cabnet that had 2 monitors on it for 2 players. Was I on crack when I saw this, or do they exist?

They exist but they're very rare. A few other games have used that before. The one that pops to mind was Cyberball.

Anybody remember that cabnit?

------------------
Bobak!
chen.jpg

You can also see me in the classic SNK game, "Guerrilla War" (known in Japan as "Guevara")

I have a Neo Candy cabinet with a 25" monitor. I absolutely love it, and have no problems. The display is amazingly sharp. It's comfortable with just an office chair or something similar.

Brent

Maxim

Kabuki Klasher
I also have the Neo 25" cabinet, but it's not a Candy one.
Is there like a difference??
It says Neo Geo on the sides and everywhere, but it doesn't say Candy. I've seen the Neo Candy before, and they look practically the same, minus the "Neo Candy" sticker on the side. Mine just says, "Neo Geo".

------------------
"Everyone's Gonna Die!!"

B

Bobak!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maxim:
I also have the Neo 25" cabinet, but it's not a Candy one.
Is there like a difference??

They're practically the same for all intents and purposes. They're just a slightly different style on the outside.

Now a really crazy MVS fan would buy all of those variations... (it isn't that crazy, I doubt you'll find one that's over $600, about the same price as Mark of the Wolves).

If you want to buy one outside eBay, search the video game store in east LA (Monterey Park, Menlo Park, Alhambra). THey're the real-deal Japanese importers. I've forgotten their names, but if you hunt around the web you'll find them.

Bobak!

eaglesfan

Quiz Detective
Can you guys give me an idea about how high the control panel for the Neo Candy machines is off the ground?? I have never seen one before and being that I am a taller person, wondering what I am looking at as far as the controller height from the floor. They looked awefully short in the pictures, but I am sure they are ok. Just looking for a number in inches to give me a better idea. Thanks.

D

DRUNKEN SHAOLIN DEVIL

i also have a neo 25 jap cab...i love it man..get one if you can..im 6 ft, so its a bit small but its not uncomfortable..id say the controls are about 2 to 2 and a half feet off the ground..

[This message has been edited by DRUNKEN SHAOLIN DEVIL (edited February 24, 2001).]

eaglesfan

Quiz Detective
Hey MVS Candy Cabinet owners,

I have heard that the Candy machines allow for horizontal and vertical orientated games by turning the monitor and also can change from standard to medium resolution to play those Naomi games that need medium resolution. Is that true and how easy is it to change each of the above? I am also wondering about the control panel--does it allow you to change the control panel to allow for a steering wheel or fishing rod, etc. for different JAMMA games from MVS. I want a cabinet that can play as many different games as possible as I am only going to buy one cabinet. I know they are small, but what about 4 player games. Is there a control panel extension that could be used to allow for these games. Thanks for any input or experiences. Looking for the best cabinet possible for playing MVS and any other board out there.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
Does anybody know of any online vendors that sell the Neo Geo Candy Cabinets for sale and the prices of them?? Any help would be awesome.

------------------
There can be only one, Why can't it be me...

J

j.pusczek

I just purchased a full sized us mvs cabinet, and right after i got it, i was by fate i guess, played one of the candy neo cabinets. wow those rock!!! If any of you guys have websites for any places that sell those, please post em here