Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
For me, in terms of clickiness it's L>R>U>D, but nothing I would notice in actual gameplay.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
So just got this thing on Tuesday and having a blast with it. Never owned an SNK product before, grew up always wanting one, but the price was too big of an obstacle.

Is it normal I can't win a single match in KoF '95 on easy? These games are HARD!

Who wants to do the world a favor and compile a faq list for all the games included?

Gamefaqs.com. All the faqs you need.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Stick on mine is fine. I got in a full game of RBFFS today, whomped on Geese without losing a round. No problems at all with the stick. No sticking, lots of clicking. It was a lot stiffer out of the box. When I first played Magician Lord it was a little harder to move, but it seems to be breaking in nicely. I have no complaints at all with the handheld's controls.

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
I've taken mine fully apart (FOR SCIENCE!). but this happened before that. I'll be taking it apart again this weekend (FOR MORE SCIENCE!) to see how much hackn' we can do.

tumblr_mcpv96jvXd1r61f58o1_1280.jpg

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
This is a question that I don't know if anyone will be able to test for me. My brother said he would buy me the bundle but I have a question about a second stick. I have an original AES stick, just buttons changed out to Sanwa ones, but I plus that into a converter to allow me to use it on a Playstation. For PC use I then plug in a PS->USB converter and the stick is flawless. Don't know if anyone has similar things to test this themselves but I would love to be able to use my original stick and use the bundled one for when my brother wants to play.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Yeah, I would urge anyone with an open order one one of these from Bestbuy to consider canceling and ordering from someone else unless they don't care too much about the condition.
Shipping in garbage bags is not a great idea!

Oh and after spending 45 mins on the phone with their customer "help" line they told me to drive and return it. They didn't offer to ship another one out and
to be honest I wouldn't want to gamble with them again anyway.

It's funny/sad how many complaints are showing up on their Facebook page. I kind feel bad for the sap that has to constantly
repeat "Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that!" over and over again.

I ordered three NGX systems. The one from Walmart arrived first, and was pretty close to mint (still sealed). The second was from Amazon, and that arrived in OK shape, some dings on the corners but nothing major. The third was in a trash bag like yours, from Best Buy. It was beat up pretty badly, but not nearly as bad as yours. I returned my BB one today to a store, and will just keep the other two. Sad that BB ruined so many orders by shipping in those crappy bags.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
As someone said before, I feel for all the people that got battered boxes. That's why I'll drive (in January) to a physical MediaMarkt store and choose the mint one.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
I ordered three NGX systems. The one from Walmart arrived first, and was pretty close to mint (still sealed). The second was from Amazon, and that arrived in OK shape, some dings on the corners but nothing major. The third was in a trash bag like yours, from Best Buy. It was beat up pretty badly, but not nearly as bad as yours. I returned my BB one today to a store, and will just keep the other two. Sad that BB ruined so many orders by shipping in those crappy bags.

Sounds like many people who ordered from BB have similar stories. It really is too bad. I'm guessing Tommo is about to receive a flood of returns from BB
because they have no clue how to ship something.

BB didn't even so much as apologize for their stupidity.

Has anyone tried the Neo-Geo X USB stick on a PS3? A, does it work and B, is there lag?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It works on ps3. I didn't notice lag, but I only messed with it a few minutes.

KOF 13 is mapped correctly by default!

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Mine came today, well 2 of them, from Best Buy. One was wrapped in the garbage bag, the other in a box full of air bags.

ngx1.jpg

Problem is, the box with air bags had the unit placed on the bottom (with nothing under it), and the box just big enough to accommodate the length. In effect, air bags only protected 3 sides of the box (out of 6 total sides).

The one that arrived in the, "trash bag" is almost perfect, whereas the boxed/airbag one has some dented corners, but nothing serious. Overall, they're in great condition but funny that BB shipped in both a box and in the, "trash bag".

Have to say, on the PVM the system still looks like shit. The video output signal is weak, and there is far too much red in the image (not an issue with the CRT btw).
It's unfortunate because the USB stick is absolutely fantastic.

I have found that the general consensus here is correct: the portable unit is good, the stick is good, the package is mostly worth it, and the video out quality is absolute shit.
I agree with Lantus360 - 7/10

I will wait to see if the others come in and see the condition of the boxes. I feel as though having ordered from BB that I dodged a bullet.

Glad to see yours weren't trashed. My system that is on its way to me now is 6.90 pounds verses the 5.90 pounds of the first shipment. Hopefully that means its in a fucking box. Won't be here until 1/2/13...

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
got my system today guys and i gotta say i quite like the handheld its responsive and screen is pretty good picture the docking station and the stick however are quite crappy for starters i have tried multiple tvs with hdmi and with the regular avs and they all look like utter trash (even my pvm cant help this thing) also the stick feels like trash the buttons are quite nice but that stick is god awful it isnt smooth or very responsive and makes games hard to play when compared to an original AES stick.

this thing just makes me wish i still had my AES to play on
handheld 4/5
stick 3/5
docking station 2/5

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
So after putting some thought into it, I seriously am going to cram a PC into one of these NeoX docks! To me that seems like a super sick mod.. and of course I'll replace the ports in the back with something that will give me proper high quality output :-P

Last edited:

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
So after putting some thought into it, I seriously am going to cram a PC into one of these NeoX docks! To me that seems like a super sick mod.. and of course I'll replace the ports in the back with something that will give me proper high quality output :-P

Funny that you mention that, I was just thinking about the same thing but instead using a real AES shell that I have around. I was debating between building a tiny computer inside or just putting an MVS board in. Buying all the components for the mini PC would be more than $250. Although the idea is good, Its kind of a lot of cash for emulation...still the idea is cool I think.
Check this for inspiration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtYiQ1mnvA

Last edited:

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
good news for europe ...FunStock: "We've just had confirmation that the European NeoGeo X stock is in Blaze's warehouse and should be shipping out on Monday for delivery between Christmas and New Year"

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
I have mixed feelings about my purchase. The sticks are cool and responsive, I'm glad they did them accurately. The docking station looks cosmetically cool, and the games play perfectly with no lag. But then there are things that really bother me. Out of the box, I had to mess with the composite wire to get a picture. That's brand fucking new, the cable already has problems. Running composite on a tube television looked really good, just like when I had an AES. But that was on a friend's TV. I tried both outputs on my own LED TV, and they looked god awful no matter which output I ran. HDMI was blurry and had horrible color bleeding. Composite was the same but ridiculously dark for some reason.
As far as the handheld itself, it's not very comfortable to use. It's bulky and is like playing with a plank. I would have liked it to at least not be so wide and maybe in closer proportions to the NGP. The length of it limits how many places I'd really want to travel with the system, and that;s already hampered by the fact you have to bring the whole dock with you to charge it. The fact that you can't remap the buttons is stupid. That takes away from the playability of some games, like in Real Bout Special when you want to do your S special. I had to shift my hand in some weird way to be able to hit both C and B with my thumb and index finger.
The screen looks alright, but not very good either. Still at least better than when outputted through HDMI, but the colors look a little washed out.

So I'm pretty bitter about the systems short comings. So far it's showed most of it's potential when I was able to bring it to a friends place and accurately play the games on his television. But as far as use on newer HD televisions, it's so fucking bad to look at. I'll just be back on my cabinets for exclusively until either the video quality is remedied, or this system gets hacked. The fan boy part of me thinks this whole thing was pretty cool, but the reasonable part of me keeps saying "What the fuck did I just do with $200?"

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Funny that you mention that, I was just thinking about the same thing but instead using a real AES shell that I have around. I was debating between building a tiny computer inside or just putting an MVS board in. Buying all the components for the mini PC would be more than $250. Although the idea is good, Its kind of a lot of cash for emulation...still the idea is cool I think.
Check this for inspiration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtYiQ1mnvA

TOTally sweet, the hyperspin is pretty cool but the boot screen, omg the boot screen, that is some brilliant stuff! Though this does make me wonder how much hardware I could fit in the dock considering it's thickness. Either way, I'm super happy with how the NeoX turned out, and it comes with some great stuff that gets my brain thinkin :-P

aria

Former Moderator

By the way, I just wanted to say "hey Bryce!" :D I had to check my vision when I saw you posting.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Just a reminder as this thread is pretty big and "needing" the dock for charging still seems to be an issue.

You don't need the dock to charge the X. Micro USB to computer or to wall outlet adapter works fine and has been done by several members w/ no problems.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
Just a reminder as this thread is pretty big and "needing" the dock for charging still seems to be an issue.

You don't need the dock to charge the X. Micro USB to computer or to wall outlet adapter works fine and has been done by several members w/ no problems.

When I plugged it in, with the power switch off. It powered on, and then I got a USB logo on screen. Same goes for when it's already powered on. So you can't play it while it's charging that way?

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
The fact that you can't remap the buttons is stupid. That takes away from the playability of some games, like in Real Bout Special when you want to do your S special. I had to shift my hand in some weird way to be able to hit both C and B with my thumb and index finger...
Can you not just re-map the buttons in the games option menu, or is it the MVS version of the game?

Gavica

Tarma's Gun Polisher
so Basically if I want to play emulation on TV is it just better to stick with the PS2/Wii collection versions?

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Is there a way to convert the Neo X stick's usb connection to work with an original xbox? Would love to use it on all of my MAME NEO GEO games...