Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
It's the AES versions, so it's up to if the original game let you reset the buttons. RBS lets you do it, but not every game had that option. And you're still limited to the face buttons.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Looks like the Vulcan Bomber 'XH558' looking as casual as f*ck in the background to me, but I could be wrong? Let's hope those Rolls Royce's remain well and truly plugged! Gutted that it won't fly beyond 2013.

Forget to mention Lee, I cancelled my NGX order. Too many negative reviews/comments regarding the TV functionality, as for me, the Handheld aspect was the 'neat feature' playing second role to having a mock AES for the living room. I seldom use portables, so this has just become not worth the money for me. May as well put that £180 into an AES game instead... :(

here's Jason Cooper (founder of Blaze) with the first NeoGeo X package for Europe (pictured alongside the last remaining Vulcan Bomber in use):
neogeo-x-blaze-jason-cooper.jpg

My TV has lots of different ratio modes inc 4:3, 16:9, 14:9 so once i get it will see what one looks best, if its shit on tv will just use it as a handheld because really thats what it was first seen as and its just a bonus to play on TV.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
As for FairlanePhantom's post above, one of your concerns was about charging the NGX, you can just charge it with a cellpone AC charger or through USB on a PC. I used the charger for my Droid X cellphone and it charges with a big green battery indicator, and shows when fully charged (solid green battery indicator instead of "filling"). Your other concerns are legit, but don't forget the arcade joystick which is a great repro of the original AES stick, but with USB connection and workable on PC and PS3 as well. And also the stick on the NGX handheld itself is fantastic, makes pulling off moves really easy, though I agree they could have improved the screen quality on the handheld. For travel with the NGX, just get a Sony Vita case, I have mine in a Sony Traveler Pouch which is obviously too wide, but the whole system fits in there well, with a bit too much air space to spare (but you could always add some padding).

Well, I'd be concerned with the charging because some electronics are ultra picky about how you charge them. iPhones for example, they HATE generic chargers. My car adaptor works fine, but my generic wall adaptor charger does weird things when it's plugged in and I've had friends with the same experiences. So it may work fine, but there's still that chance that it can harm it in the long term.
So far I've had hit or miss luck with the stick on the portable. I can usually pull everything off, and sometimes have trouble. But that will probably be fine after I spend more time with it.
The fact that the sticks work on PS3 is definitely a cool bonus, I'll probably be trying that out today with KOF.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Dragon76 said:
Seems the consensus is the handheld is good, station is cheap, and has shit video out to t.v. Would love to hear the verdict now people have had time to play around with it. Buyer's remorse? Would you buy it again?

I'm seriously thinking of just putting the money I would have used for this toward the real thing, the killer for me is the cost of games though, which is why I was so excited about the X since it comes with so many games already! I honestly don't think I would ever spend 1k+ on a game. What do you guys think?

I would not buy it again. If anything, I'd wait until the standalone handheld was available. I might have bought that.

If money is an issue, don't buy an AES. Get MVS or CMVS for your gaming.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
I'm right with you. I had this ordered in Oct. when it was first available, but had to cancel my order. Kinda glad I did seeing the mixed reviews. I'm not a purist by any means, so wonder how the non-purists enjoy the system?

Seems the consensus is the handheld is good, station is cheap, and has shit video out to t.v. Would love to hear the verdict now people have had time to play around with it. Buyer's remorse? Would you buy it again?

I'm seriously thinking of just putting the money I would have used for this toward the real thing, the killer for me is the cost of games though, which is why I was so excited about the X since it comes with so many games already! I honestly don't think I would ever spend 1k+ on a game. What do you guys think?

I agree with the others at this point. If you're spending this much, you might as well invest in a CMVS or just make one cheap enough on your own. Video quality will be spot on, and you won't have to pay for games you already probably own four copies of.

Dragon76

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll check into the CMVS thing, sounds like a great, lesser expensive alternative to having an AES.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
CMVS is the least expensive official Neo Geo gaming there is.

There are some less expensive CD titles, but the CD platform is missing a LOT of titles that are on mvs.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
CMVS is the least expensive official Neo Geo gaming there is.

There are some less expensive CD titles, but the CD platform is missing a LOT of titles that are on mvs.

And if you're a stickler about video quality, the CD only really allows for composite out. Not so nice.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
A consolized MVS is still kind of dumb in my mind. These games were made to be played in an arcade machine. Save the money you would have used on a Neo Geo X and buy yourself an actual arcade cabinet. With some shopping you can find one cheap. I bought my Neo MVS candy for $250 and that included the four slot inside. I got my first Neo Geo standup arcade machine, a converted Xybots cabinet, for free with a two slot and a couple games thrown in just because people wanted to get rid of it. Honestly, the idea of playing MVS on a TV is novel, but it ruins the entire experience if you ask me. That's the main reason I never bought a home system. These games are fun, and some of them are good, but once you turn it into yet another game system it sort of loses some of its magic. Having the arcade machine in the house, garage or basement... It makes games like Burning Fight seem cool as shit.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Well, I'd be concerned with the charging because some electronics are ultra picky about how you charge them. iPhones for example, they HATE generic chargers. My car adaptor works fine, but my generic wall adaptor charger does weird things when it's plugged in and I've had friends with the same experiences. So it may work fine, but there's still that chance that it can harm it in the long term.
So far I've had hit or miss luck with the stick on the portable. I can usually pull everything off, and sometimes have trouble. But that will probably be fine after I spend more time with it.
The fact that the sticks work on PS3 is definitely a cool bonus, I'll probably be trying that out today with KOF.

This device was made to charge over USB. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that. Apple has circuitry built in to detect third party peripherals and chargers. The problems you had were Apple imposed. A 5V USB charger, the standard that comes with any phone or most devices these days, is the standard and there is a very very small chance it will ever hurt your Neo Geo X. It's also the exact same chance the dock will do the same thing.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Because everyone has room for an arcade cab

It's a personal choice. I've lived in a 400sqft loft in downtown LA years ago and fit the cab fine in a corner. Candies are smaller than you'd think. Hey, it's how I feel. These are arcade hardware. You lose the experience on a TV in my mind. If that's not how it is for you, then more power to you. I've been tempted a few times by a CMVS setup, but those thoughts above creep in: Why am I really doing this... Am I really going to play this over the cabinet? Would I really keep all my games if I just had the CMVS and sold my cab? Believe me, there have been times I've had that thought, but I think the day I sell the cabinet is the day I'm out of the Neo for good. That's just my take on it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Don't get me wrong, i'd love a candy cab, but I got no room. Maybe someday.

Arcade quality sticks, comfy chairs, and Neos that output component are good for me!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Ugh. I'm rambling now... about the MVS and my love for it. I'm going to delete this and go have some food to quell the blood sugar. Haha. Honestly, that Omega system looks cool as shit. If I ever do break down I'll probably have one of those next to the TV.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Takes up about as much floor space as a waste bin.

14234902.jpg

I had the Capcom equivalent of that. Of course, it was my most expensive cab, but yeah it was tiny. Do you have a Neo 19? How is it for two-player? The Capcom Mini Cute was a bit too cramped and we were always bumping each others hands when playing 2p. Of course, that became some of the strategy ;)

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
A consolized MVS is still kind of dumb in my mind. These games were made to be played in an arcade machine. Save the money you would have used on a Neo Geo X and buy yourself an actual arcade cabinet. With some shopping you can find one cheap. I bought my Neo MVS candy for $250 and that included the four slot inside. I got my first Neo Geo standup arcade machine, a converted Xybots cabinet, for free with a two slot and a couple games thrown in just because people wanted to get rid of it. Honestly, the idea of playing MVS on a TV is novel, but it ruins the entire experience if you ask me. That's the main reason I never bought a home system. These games are fun, and some of them are good, but once you turn it into yet another game system it sort of loses some of its magic. Having the arcade machine in the house, garage or basement... It makes games like Burning Fight seem cool as shit.

Problem with arcades is that they often need work, and even if they don't, will require maintenance or repair of which is beyond the average gamer.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the cab myself, I have 2 big reds and is the only way I play. The cab experience is much better than CMVS... or AES, speaking of AES...

I have to ask though, what's wrong with playing a CMVS, simply because it was designed for the arcade? To me, that's not very solid reasoning. What's the real difference between playing an AES stick on a CMVS and playing an AES? I mean, the games are identical. I just don't see how this would be right for an AES and wrong for an MVS.

SSS said:
Takes up about as much floor space as a waste bin.

And here is the states, about as common as the Mona Lisa. If I had to have a candy instead of a big red, I wouldn't be playing after 3 years of collecting.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Problem with arcades is that they often need work, and even if they don't, will require maintenance or repair of which is beyond the average gamer.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the cab myself, I have 2 big reds and is the only way I play. The cab experience is much better than CMVS... or AES, speaking of AES...

I have to ask though, what's wrong with playing a CMVS, simply because it was designed for the arcade? To me, that's not very solid reasoning. What's the real difference between playing an AES stick on a CMVS and playing an AES? I mean, the games are identical. I just don't see how this would be right for an AES and wrong for an MVS.

Because to me, an arcade machine is an arcade machine :) I'm not sure how old you are, so I don't know if you grew up with the local arcades and spending hours and hours surrounded by the machines. I did, though, and having one of those in my house is cooler than any game system that has ever come out. Again, it's a highly personal thing for me. Take the hardware out of its wood or metal cabinet, and it loses something in my eyes. Sure it plays well, hell maybe even better with a CMVS on a TV, but to me it's just not the same experience and not what I'm after.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Because to me, an arcade machine is an arcade machine :) I'm not sure how old you are, so I don't know if you grew up with the local arcades and spending hours and hours surrounded by the machines. I did, though, and having one of those in my house is cooler than any game system that has ever come out. Again, it's a highly personal thing for me. Take the hardware out of its wood or metal cabinet, and it loses something in my eyes. Sure it plays well, hell maybe even better with a CMVS on a TV, but to me it's just not the same experience and not what I'm after.

I'm 37, I grew up with arcades and all of that.

I know what you mean with regard to authenticity and the experience that that brings. However, in the case of the Neo Geo, from a gaming perspective, there is no difference in the experience between the AES and CMVS. Sure, the arcade in a cabinet experience is better than either, but it makes no sense to me to opt for an AES instead of a CMVS if that's what there is to compare.

And... not trying to pick at you or anything, but it's hard to make a purist argument buying an NGX.

Last edited:

Nerdy

Kabuki Klasher
Just ordered one from funstock, lets see if it comes untill the end of the week (my birthday)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I'm 37, I grew up with arcades and all of that.

I know what you mean with regard to authenticity and the experience that that brings. However, in the case of the Neo Geo, from a gaming perspective, there is no difference in the experience between the AES and CMVS. Sure, the arcade in a cabinet experience is better than either, but it makes no sense to me to opt for an AES instead of a CMVS if that's what there is to compare.

And... not trying to pick at you or anything, but it's hard to make a purist argument buying an NGX.

Oh, I think there's been some confusion. I don't care for the home system at all. It fits in with my same argument as a CMVS. I was lumping the two together that Neo Geo on the TV isn't really my thing. If you're going that route, though, by all means I would support a CMVS over a home system just due to game selection and price. I only have an MVS cab, no home system and no desire for one.

I bought the Neo Geo X to be a ROM box to play on the TV :) It sits in the drawer mostly. It's fun, but I'm more interested in what's to come than what's on it right now. I don't regret my purchase.

Last edited:

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I've got one of these ordered. i'll be playing it on a Sony trinitron 4:3 crt tv. I've heard alot about picture quality on modern tv's but has anyone got an idea of what it will be like on the tv i'll be using?