Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
Some news from the hack thread: Uni-BIOS has been successfully installed on the NGX, and the video output should be fixable through software, as the quality loss is in the scaling and refresh rate used by the emulator. A soft-mod that requires no opening of the handheld should be theoretically possible...

IMG_1112_zps2d2df4fa.jpg

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Do note a few things: The bios is in the files for each game, not the system itself. Currently no new games can be 'added', but rather just replaced. And from the looks of it 370-firmware models might be a newer revision that is unhackable until the SD encryption is broken.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Does that mean then that we can get unlimited credits and play uncensored ?

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
looks like a neat box.

I notice they are playing art of fighting 2 on it.

Last edited:

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Actually, it shows TV footage @ 1:40. Isn't that Art of Fighting 2 in place of AOF1?

Edit:Ninja'd.

Last edited:

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
The rep did oddly say something about not being able to let him record the screen, didn't he? Maybe that's why.

"Plug it into the station. I can show you, but I can't let you see it on camera"
That or perhaps just the dock. Maybe it was unfinished.

Last edited:

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
I guess showing Art of Fighting 2 seems like less of a mistake now. Their website where they list the games says Art of Fighting, but has a picture from Art of Fighting 2. I swear, wasn't Last Blade 1 shown for awhile as one of the launch games and eventually taken out?

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Just compared metal slug on the X with slug on SNK classics via psp. Much to my surprise, the X looked noticeably better! Minus blood of course.

Btw it fits great in my sons 3DS XL case.

Last edited:

ronald0

Crazed MVS Addict
Just got a mail from Funstock that says my system has shipped. No tracking number yet though.

slerch666

updyke,
Yeah I'd love to get a cab, but have very limited space right now; so that's really not an option. Once I have the space I'd seriously consider it for the "full" experience. It sounds silly, but I really love the idea of having the original console with box and all. It's just then I'm locked in to buying the pricey games, and even though the games for the CMVS are less some of the systems go for some good money, so could just get an AES, but...I'm torn, gotta do some deep thinking. I saw this on the bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Consolized-...848?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccce6f130
Looks pretty sweet! Has some nice extras, looks clean. Might just start with a CMVS, then when I have the money just buy an AES, prob a cab too, what the hell. That's been the good thing about the X, really got me into Neo-Geo again. I'll browse the forums and do some research. Truly appreciate all the feedback!

In the meantime since this is the X thread, hope most are enjoying theirs. I'm a little jealous.

Consolized 1 slot with Neo Geo sticks. Hide it behind the TV and you'll never know the difference. Your wallet will, but that's all.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I just got the Neo Geo X delivered from Best Buy. The item shipped in a Tommo shipping box filled with air bags. To my surprise, the system box arrived in immaculate condition. I'm debating keeping the Tommo shipping box for storage as the box took a beating from UPS. The wife is wrapping it up and sticking it under the tree as I type this.

Newbie question: already hearing that the X is hackable. Would that allow for more games not announced for the handheld to play on it, provided you can get them on the SD card?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That's being worked on still. Right now, the built in games can be replaced, but you can't load your own games on the external SD card yet. They are working on dumping the Ninja Master's card in the hacking thread to see if they can figure out the encryption. My guess, we'll be loading our own roms by the end of the week.

Very good to hear. Not that I'm wholly for taking away Tommos revenue stream, but would make me consider buying it. It's a nice, tiny portable unit.

That's being worked on still. Right now, the built in games can be replaced, but you can't load your own games on the external SD card yet. They are working on dumping the Ninja Master's card in the hacking thread to see if they can figure out the encryption. My guess, we'll be loading our own roms by the end of the week.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nobody is interested in killing Tommo's revenue stream, most of us are going to buy anything they release with "Neo Geo" on the label. :D

grips03

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Just got the NGX, so here is quick review.

Screen does not looks as good as Vita/PSP, maybe not even DS. Graphics are kind of muddy and screen is not bright enough.

Controller is ok, but might have been better with a u,d,l,r cross

Select button is now menu button, not sure why they didn't just label it select. In fact there are L1,L2,R1,R1 buttons - no idea what they are for its a NeoGeo. Its like someone took a cheap handheld for some other console and then made it into a Neo Geo console and didn't want to pay the money to remove the extra buttons. I know one controls the screen size, but perhaps they could have made a button just for that.

Console is too wide, should have been a little smaller with a 4:3 screen

SD slot is a bit too deep, makes inserting and removing harder than it needs to be.

Sounds FX in Metal Slug just don't sound right, music seems to be ok. Waterfall in level 1 is like static fall (noise).

Emulation is ok, but not that great. Emulation on PC makes games seem better, on this console it makes them seem worse.

Forces one to recharge in the doc only. Even the DS has a simple AC charger.

USB controller is ok, but plastics have a low end made in China feel, vs. the original controller - high eend made in Japan feel. Its kind of like someone took the original controller and when cost reduction on it.

NG games are great, but perhaps there are other systems one could hack to have portable Metal Slug?

On the bright side I'm sure something from this will be cool, like hackers putting Unibios on it, or protos shipping on SD cards, etc.

All in all I would hold off on buying it as its not that good.

Hopefully it looks better on the TV. I'm going to try that next.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Hopefully it looks better on the TV. I'm going to try that next.

If+you+try+to+hard+to+make+the+Front+Page+_0ef8c0c53b5210aec038081c0f71d4bc.png

That said, Can anyone get me some measurements on the station itself? Mine hasn't arrived yet and I'm working on sourcing parts for my PC mod. Stuff like the height, width and length and maybe the depth of the tray the neo sits in. Also, is it disassembleable at all?

Lan Di

War Room Troll
Just got mine today. Best Buy shipped it in a box and not a trash bag. Not one scratch or ding on the box. :)
neogeox_zpsd20d7820.jpg

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
Just got mine today. Best Buy shipped it in a box and not a trash bag. Not one scratch or ding on the box. :)
neogeox_zpsd20d7820.jpg

Congrats and you're welcome. :P
I spent 2 days talking to everyone from the the shipping center to the Best Buy home office complaining about how shipping these in a garbage bag is a terrible
idea. I finally received an email from them saying they didn't realize they were showing up so damaged and that they've stopped sending the NGX in bags.

I'm still not buying from BB again, but maybe our complaining helped? I guess we'll see if they ship more in bags or not.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
System and sticks in stock at Amazon (sold by Amazon, not 3rd party)