Neo Geo X "Gold System" Discontinued

TSOLfan

New Challenger
According to this article, production ceased on January 22nd:

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201301230028/

As a Neo Geo X owner myself, can't say I'm too happy with this news, as I was looking at the X to be my AES on the go, picking up portable copies of my AES titles that I had envisioned being future game card releases.

The article states that future game cards will be released, though makes no mention of what titles or release dates.

Last edited:

daranus

Banned
Wow, thats awesome News :D at least for the people who Plan to sell this thing for a fortune in the Future...

SSS

neo retired

edit: although google translate sucks. I read production of the gold edition is over. They still mention the standalone. so who knows

Last edited:

slerch666

updyke,
It's telling you that production of the GOLD system has finished, per the "limited edition" moniker and that other game cards are planned.

There's an AC adapter coming. It'll cost 2100 yen. They are also making an LCD cover for the unit due to popular demand.

*waits for Broken*

In reality, I was kind of hoping it would be more along the lines of "we stole our emulator and Sony wants our asses." It wasn't. Sorry.

TSOLfan

New Challenger
It's telling you that production of the GOLD system has finished, per the "limited edition" moniker and that other game cards are planned.

The article is fairly vague, so this may very well be the case, that just the production of the "limited edition" has been discontinued.

I guess only time will tell.

slerch666

updyke,
The article is fairly vague, so this may very well be the case, that just the production of the "limited edition" has been discontinued.

I guess only time will tell.

If they discontinued the product completely, I doubt they would have bothered with a stand alone charger or screen protector.

Just my opinion of course.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
*waits for Broken*

~lol

I hope it's discontinued. Get this piece of garbage off the streets.

Thinking more games are coming = wishful thinking.

“There's a sucker born every minute.”
― P.T. Barnum

slerch666

updyke,
~lol

Thinking more games are coming = wishful thinking.

“There's a sucker born every minute.”
― P.T. Barnum
I knew you were coming. :eye::eye:

We all love you. Or I do anyway.

A contentious voice of reason is always appreciated on my part.

And a contentious voice without reason can be appreciated too...and fun.

TSOLfan

New Challenger

Wishful thinking, they are pulling a Neo Geo Pocket to Neo Geo Pocket Color, releasing a Neo Geo XL with a 4:3 screen with scanlines (perhaps even a Neo Geo Pocket form factor), region select, MVS instead of AES (for unlimited continues), and the internals will be based off of actual MVS/AES miniaturized hardware (ala Sega Nomad), though, still utilizing ROMs on SD cards for portability in full Neo Geo Pocket clamshells with artwork and manuals.

At least one can dream :D

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Wishful thinking, they are pulling a Neo Geo Pocket to Neo Geo Pocket Color, releasing a Neo Geo XL with a 4:3 screen with scanlines (perhaps even a Neo Geo Pocket form factor), region select, MVS instead of AES (for unlimited continues), and the internals will be based off of actual MVS/AES miniaturized hardware (ala Sega Nomad), though, still utilizing ROMs on SD cards for portability.

At least one can dream :D

In a nutshell, releasing hardware that they should have done the first time around?

lol...wishful thinking indeed.

Sad thing is, with todays tech, it's totally possible to have done precisely that. Utilize a FPGA to recreate the 68000, z80 and custom stuff or even use a combo of FPGA along with a real 68000 cpu.

But, Tommo took the easy way out and used some shitty emulation handheld with a different face place.

Mishran

New Challenger
From what I got from the article, the Gold production has stopped, but the stand alone handheld is still expected in February as well as the "planned" games, an AC adapter, and a screen cover that is apparently going to be supplied with the AC adapter as a courtesy for buying it.

Hell, how about sending out a free screen protector for those that registered their X? That is my idea of courtesy.

bg1188

n00b
Like I said in the other thread, the limited edition SKU was the dock not the ninja masters card. Now it's just going to be a handheld. I better get a few more controllers before they get discontinued too.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Like I said in the other thread, the limited edition SKU was the dock not the ninja masters card. Now it's just going to be a handheld. I better get a few more controllers before they get discontinued too.
thats the thing as if no more docks they wont need to make as many controllers so they could run out.
Even without the dock though you can still play the game through the TV by plugging the HDMI cable into the back of handheld and using the control pad .

carnicero27

Mega Shock!!
again they talk about more games but they dont say what titles and when will be relased. promises and more promises....

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Christ, what a cluster.

What are SNKP and Tommo really up to? Do they even know?

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
thats the thing as if no more docks they wont need to make as many controllers so they could run out.
Even without the dock though you can still play the game through the TV by plugging the HDMI cable into the back of handheld and using the control pad .

You gotta admire Lee. Even when his precious console has been shit on and abandoned, he's still there faithfully trying to bring the Neo Geo X back to life.

Last edited:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
You gotta admire Lee. Even when his precious console has been shit on and abandoned, he's still there faithfully trying to bring the Neo Geo X back to life.

Lol, yeah, he's been a faithful defender of the X for sure.

I don't think it's complete shit, just a product that missed some quality control and was rushed out the door to meet the slipping deadline. Pretty evident just by the whole 337 & 370 builds, let alone all the other issues.

But with all the issues, it's still warmer on my couch playing around with this then the 48f garage where the cabs are...