Neo Geo X > Neo Geo AES... LOL

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
This video is funny as shit. It's a must watch. I know it 3 years old, but this guy thinks the X is better than the AES and AES owners are just made because we paid too much.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
That was an interesting watch. Although I disagree with his view that the neo geo x is equal or greater to the aes (fight Zeus in the final stage of World Heroes 2 Jet on a Neo Geo X and you will witness the ugly truth of the systems issues), he does actually make an interesting point regarding the sound issues from the old DC ports.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
ONLY IN THE PARALLEL WORLD X is greater than anything.
AES>MVS SORRY but there's just a certain charm that the AES has over the MVS. MVS will give you a good bang for your dollar and you will have access to about 98% of the library but AES has thatIT factor going for IT.
BB

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
AES>MVS SORRY but there's just a certain charm that the AES has over the MVS. MVS will give you a good bang for your dollar and you will have access to about 98% of the library but AES has thatIT factor going for IT.
BB

I thought it was the other way around? That the AES had 98% of what was on the MVS.

Regardless MVS > AES. Unless you like subpar video quality and paying extra hundreds and sometimes thousands for paper manuals and game cases.

EDIT: actually looks like the AES only has about 90% of what's on the MVS.

So let's break this down. AES has subpar video quality, less games, more expensive, and more likely to get ripped off. Yea MVS is obviously better.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
hqdefault.jpg

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I thought it was the other way around? That the AES had 98% of what was on the MVS.

Regardless MVS > AES. Unless you like subpar video quality and paying extra hundreds and sometimes thousands for paper manuals and game cases.

EDIT: actually looks like the AES only has about 90% of what's on the MVS.

So let's break this down. AES has subpar video quality, less games, more expensive, and more likely to get ripped off. Yea MVS is obviously better.

Yet I get more satisfaction sticking a Aes cart into my Neo-Geo console vs mvs. Sorry #justfacts.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Why not just enjoy all 3?

MVS: cab or consolized unit for cheaper rare games and mvs exclusives (breakers revenge is the reason I even picked up an mvs cab).
AES: to enjoy the story, art, and complete retail package from the hey day of snk
CD: Awesome arranged soundtracks and loading isn't bad at all for older titles.

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
That guy doesn't even really do a review he just raves about how cool it looks and how he has access to a bunch of neo games.

DaveGeorge

NEST Puppet
I wanna see that Art of Fighting 4 with over 800 megs. ;)

Seriously though, I don't consider myself a purist, but from what I've seen the picture quality is pretty bad on the neo geo X.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Pretty soon there will be an adapter to plug a pandora's box directly into the top of your AES, lol

Seriously though, I miss my AES just for how cool it was too have one. Having the red old school mas system sticks on the coffee table and the AES was something I'll never forget. Blew people away, even more so than walking into the second bedroom in my old apt. to see 7 cabs, lol. Those days are long past and 3 snk cab are all that's left, but the looks on people's faces who remember seeing it behind the glass at TRU was priceless.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
ah, yes. art of fighting 4. we should put that in the underrated neo titles thread.

Ive got to say I agree with BB, the feeling when putting that AES cart in the system is a notch better than the MVS. As for NGX, I like that I can bring it elsewhere to show friends what neo geo games were on a current tv.
BB

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I kind of remember lurking quite a bit when that X came out, it looked like it would be super hackable. Then I saw the work needed to screw with earlier models to get your own games on it, then talking about tinkering with SD cards internally so you can put games on there too.

I know the hardware wasn't all that awesome and the firmware (first one) was shit. I don't recall really how much was addressed on the 2nd but I know it wasn't what everyone wanted either. So I have to wonder though, did anyone make their own custom 3rd version firmware for this thing that made it work well? I have my MVS but it would be cool if the device actually worked fairly decently to have that NGX handheld if it could be made to work even semi-respectably with whatever ROM you want to toss on a card. Or is it so loathed all around no one has really bothered?

This guy is clearly no answer, just cussing up a storm and doing a non-review review about ripping on the AES and ignoring the issues this NGX did have out of the box with and without the added firmware upgrade.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
So I have to wonder though, did anyone make their own custom 3rd version firmware for this thing that made it work well? I have my MVS but it would be cool if the device actually worked fairly decently to have that NGX handheld if it could be made to work even semi-respectably with whatever ROM you want to toss on a card. Or is it so loathed all around no one has really bothered?
I haven't tried it, but you can use the second tommo update with a custom video fix (ack) and then softmod the system to play all Neo roms plus emulator of a lot of other systems... supposedly it's not that bad at all.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
This is some serious faggotry from a lard bucket:

"Neo Geo hasn't produced any hardware in quite some time." Fat ass slob doesn't even know what he's talking about.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I haven't tried it, but you can use the second tommo update with a custom video fix (ack) and then softmod the system to play all Neo roms plus emulator of a lot of other systems... supposedly it's not that bad at all.

I think that's kind of what I was getting at believing that was possible. I'm just curious how challenging or stupid easy + investment involved to do all this. I've seen people sell some pre-prepped thing for $50 for the NGX you can just toss NG ROM sets on there and it works supposedly but you need to supply your own mini sd card for it. I did not know there was some graphics video fix for it someone did on the side, like to know more about that.

That sleep apena mask nightmare there really has no clue. He's being a bit too positive from all the acid I've seen spit at the Neo-Geo X. Now I get it's not perfect, but has anyone ever really lined up a few truly honest fan detracted rage type reviews that really levelheadedly dig into the thing to explain why it's good, why it's bad, and how right or wrong from accurate it really is without going nuts about it?

madman

That sleep apena mask nightmare there really has no clue.
I LOLed.

Dude says the NGCD graphics quality isn't up to par w/the AES. Let this be a lesson that any time you see a YT video with a retro system being played in 16:9 you know you're in for some bullshit.

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I LOLed.

Dude says the NGCD graphics quality isn't up to par w/the AES.

Well, that's what happens when you think that the CD version of the Neo Geo AES is called the Sega CD :keke:

sleep apena mask nightmare said:
2:11: 'Bare that in mind when I do this review that I've never owned an AES, never owned a SEGA CD, never owned a consolized MVS"

What's funny is that he's somewhat right. A few games like Art of Fighting 3 had to be dumbed down to keep the loading times "acceptable" :keke:

madman

He admits he hasn't played any real Neo Geo, but then he comments on how the pitch is off on some of the sounds. How would he know? This is just a YT review where he says what other people said in their reviews.

tumblr_inline_obg0szRAL71t0ijhl_1280.jpg

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I think that's kind of what I was getting at believing that was possible. I'm just curious how challenging or stupid easy + investment involved to do all this. [...] Now I get it's not perfect, but has anyone ever really lined up a few truly honest fan detracted rage type reviews that really levelheadedly dig into the thing to explain why it's good, why it's bad, and how right or wrong from accurate it really is without going nuts about it?
I have no idea... I'd suggest digging for some old threads with the search function or trying your luck here.

IMO there are way better alternatives to emulate the Neo Geo on handhelds or your TV than the NGX though.