NeoCD SD Loader repairs & soldering, help needed?

Cowabunga

n00b
So, I own a couple of premodded Neo-Geo CD SD Loaders consoles. The Loader is courtesy of Furrtek. My second console works okay enough... my first unit however has this extremely annoying crackling sound after leaving the game on for a half hour. It gets worse everytime I turn it on before it took an hour and some 20 for the sound to bust up. Now it doesn't take long at all!

Sent it to a tech person, they claimed to have repaired it and left it on without issue. When I got it back the same problem! I don't know if the problem is USPS or FedEX (had it sent out three times) or what! I'm now at a point where I'd like to service the damn thing myself. Problem is I don't know how to solder. My budget for sourcing equipment is very limited. But here's what I figure, I'd like to try a practice board first. A random pcb, that would enable assets to be soldered on, like a cheap LED mod! Of course, I'll need a referral/recommendation to a soldering kit? (is that what they call it?) I'm looking for some equipment I can buy on Ebay or Home Depot. Not to pricey but it'll get the job done. I need to be able to desolder and solder! Whatever else that goes into retro video game console mods is something I'll wanna know!

Once I have everything and am successful with the test PCB, I'd be more confident to go into my actual NeoCD and figure out what the hell is wrong with that thing! So, I'm appealing to the experts here tell me what I need.