NeoGeo CD SD Loader

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Any tips for attaching the top of the console after install? I’ve managed to do the “hard” part of the install just fine, but attaching the ribbon cable to the top of the unit where the SD slot is located is proving nearly impossible. Feels like the ribbon should’ve been about 6 inches longer.

Would there be any issues if I cut a hole in the brown shielding above the sd loader so I can access the board and cables more easily?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Never had any issue with the ribbon unless newer units got substantially short. To install it I just put the "lid" of the console sideways then get it a bit closer for plugging in the ribbon like this pic I took ages ago. Never seemed overly annoying to install.

zVKZRbn.jpg

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I removed the cd drive because my laser was dead so I was trying to plug it in a little further to the center of where the drive is in your case. Anyways, I did eventually get it.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I removed the cd drive because my laser was dead so I was trying to plug it in a little further to the center of where the drive is in your case. Anyways, I did eventually get it.
You didn't get the CD "replacement" plate kit?

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I did get that plate, but on my NGCD the ribbon has to come out of the hole in the shielding in the left of your picture, between the controller ports. The place where you need to plug in the ribbon the cable is also further to the center of the case top since the replacement plates basically sits centered where the drive used to be, and the connector for the ribbon cable is in the center of that.

So, I couldn't really set the top on its side and plug in the cable like in your picture due to the positioning of the connectors and the ribbon length. I had to hold the top above the base with one hand and try to plug in the ribbon the cable with the other.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I have a CDZ so thinking I’ll get a different unit so I can check this out.

I’ve not seen any pictures of an install on a front loader. Where does the SD card slot go in a front loader install? I’ve always liked the look of the front loader ngcd - would be cool to have the cd drive working alongside the ability to load sd games.

I might then sell my CDZ, I’m no fan of having unused shit cluttering up my house.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
No idea about the fron loader installation, sorry mate.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Now that I have mine up and running, I have to say this thing is pretty nice. Probably the best way to play NGCD games until there’s an NGCD core for mister, TO updates the SD Pro to have 100% compatibility (unlikely, and even then you don’t get the cd audio), or someone jailbreaks that Analogue Turbo Duo thing when it comes out.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Eh, nothing beats original hardware... if it weren't for the romantism of fiddling with old hardware I'd just play on an emulator and call it a day. Not too keen on the Mister except for the "dedicated box you plug into a tv and play" angle.

edit: send me a PM if you need Super Sidekicks 3. I think I found Robo Army patched for no CD checks but I have yet to test it.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I am a bit stupid, so I don’t understand if I need to have the SD card ready and tucked into the unit when it is fully shut, or if it’s ‘plug and play’ without removing the 7 screws from the bottom. (E.g. like Rhea in the Saturn- you can remove and add the second card at will without dismantling the console).

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
I am a bit stupid, so I don’t understand if I need to have the SD card ready and tucked into the unit when it is fully shut, or if it’s ‘plug and play’ without removing the 7 screws from the bottom. (E.g. like Rhea in the Saturn- you can remove and add the second card at will without dismantling the console).
it's made to be accessible, that's the point of the SD slot board. On the toploader you have the slot board that sticks where the drive used to be, or a really ingenious one where the board allows the SD slot to reach the top vents of the system for accessibility while keeping the drive unit intact.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
it's made to be accessible, that's the point of the SD slot board. On the toploader you have the slot board that sticks where the drive used to be, or a really ingenious one where the board allows the SD slot to reach the top vents of the system for accessibility while keeping the drive unit intact.
Cool, I’m just having trouble imaging how you do that sort of setup to a front loader. Anyway I’ve wasted enough time, thanks for reply.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Cool, I’m just having trouble imaging how you do that sort of setup to a front loader. Anyway I’ve wasted enough time, thanks for reply.
To be honest I never had a front loading unit so IDK what's the SD slot disposition, but it should be accessible anyway. If anyone has pics of the unit with the SD Loader, please post it here, I'm now curious too :lolz:

aleomark

n00b
23x33vw.jpeg

Hi, I got my neo geo sd loader install, after download the firmware file, copy it to SD card's root and rename the file to NSDLZZZZ.WAD, and start system, starts with blue led blinking, then change to 3 greens lights and then several blue led blinkings and finally starts (that last about one minute as is supposed to be).

I don't get after updating, the versions that must be: "MENU:0.9 MCU:00.09 CPLD:00.03".

I got instead "MENU:0.9 MCU:00.00 CPLD:00.00", and at the initial screen were games list is supposed to show a message that says: "no card present".

I can change firm from 0.7, 0.8, 0.9 all gave me the same results: "MENU:0.9 MCU:00.00 CPLD:00.00".
If I try the wiper it reset it as the instructions say "On power up the yellow LED will blink several times".

Any ideas? thanks!

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Do games work?

If it's not your installation and it actually plays games, it might be worth to shoot Furrtek an email, as it's probably a firmware error on his end.

aleomark

n00b
because "no card present" after it boots, I can't try to load a game cause I cant see the game list

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I guess you have tried different sd cards formatted differently, right?

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Fwiw I used a 32 gb micro sd in an adapter that works fine, but it is formatted FAT32 not EXFAT which is in the instructions. If that’s all good, then I’d check your file structure and stuff for the games.

Do you have the button prompts for the options menu and stuff?

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
EXFAT is for larger volumes IIRC. Can you boot to the OG CD bios?

I'd mess with different SD cards, everytime something weird happens to the SD Loader its the damn 64gb Sandisk micro sd's fault. I basically spent my weekend trying to troubleshoot something that I thought was hardware related, but was just my SD card goonied up... (I only realized it when I went to write the firmware eraser into it and Windows couldn't access the file system and asked to format... this happened after various update attempts where the SD card was read/written 'properly').

aleomark

n00b
Hi,
I tried different sd cards formatted all in FAT32 (sandisk ultra 256gb microSD, Kingston 8gb hc microSD, sandisk 2gb microSD, sandisk 8gb microSD, sandisk ultra 16gb microSD).

in these video I flashed wiper firm ,you can see the light pattern, then it has the boot intro, and normal menu

in these video I flashed 0.9b, you can see the lights pattern, then it has the boot intro, open menu with "no card present" and options with "MENU:0.9 MCU:00.00 CPLD:00.00".

I only can think try more sd cards

curious stuff/more info
-in options and settings I can change console zone, no problem
-sometimes after a firm change I got error code 01-0200-FFFF or 01-0800-FFFF, if I install wiper and then the regular firm (0.7, 0.8, 0.9b) doesn't happen
thumbnail.jpg
-in menu 0.9b the controller doesn't respond as it should, its like you need to hit buttons or arrows several time, that doesn't happen in 0.7 or 0.8

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Did you perform the install? I'd check and redo some solder points and reseat the SD Loader on the 68000. That is definitely weird, if everything else fails you should send Furrtek a mail.