neogeo hdmi

pier

Crazed MVS Addict
I loved dchdmi on my dreamcast and i was thinking if an hdmi exist on both neogeo mvs and aes.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
i was interested to a solution as dchdmi or beharbros vga16 scan doubler.

Why? just wait until the RAD2X is back in stock. It's a no brainer when considering bespoke solutions.

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
If you want something really cheap while waiting or deciding which real option to go with this thing has actually been really good to me for the price. No extra features though:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S9QQSH7/

I can't perceive any lag with it, my barometers for it are Art of Fighting 2 and Samurai Shodown 2 both which look great to me on it and I have zero trouble doing any moves and it feels super responsive. I tried it with both the official stick as well as a newer USB stick w/ a Brook adapter.

The down side is it seems inconsistent from game to game. I don't own a lot of AES games but will try what I have this weekend. So far:

Art of Fighting 2 - Great
Samurai Shodown 2 - Great
Sengoku - Some crazy ghosting on the player sprite and some effects. You can remove the usb power and the ghosting goes away, but then it seems to give some odd flickering on the left side of the screen
World Heroes 2 Jet - Great

Two caveats:
Takes from the RGB so depending on your system you might get horrible jailbars on your screen. This would be the case for me but I had cut the traces on my (3-6) board and that took care of it completely.
When you start up the system, there'll be a second or two delay before it gets going, so you'll probably miss the iconic Neo Geo startup

But in general this thing is cool for the low price and the lack of lag to me. I plan on getting an OSSC in the future myself but for now I just got sick of how bad AES composite looks on our TV.

LIfe is so weird, I've had this AES+the games since like the late 90s but it wasn't til recently I got super into fighting games again so I've been playing it constantly lately.

pier

Crazed MVS Addict
i am talking about mvs, now that i have repaired my first board and hooked it to a supergun i don't like very much the image quality on and lcd tv and on the plasma the image is cuttedo on the left.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
i am talking about mvs, now that i have repaired my first board and hooked it to a supergun i don't like very much the image quality on and lcd tv and on the plasma the image is cuttedo on the left.

That seems to be a scaling issue. There are so many solutions for straight RGB solutions for straight RGB to some sort of HDMI output that you will most likely find something that the quality is to your liking.

pier

Crazed MVS Addict
i was interested to megadrive 2 triple bypass pcb for about 15 euros, in this situation is the fastest way to go because the pcengine rgb will be shipped from hong kong. I also was interested to the omega pcb rgb board but it cannot be shipped to italy.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Why? just wait until the RAD2X is back in stock. It's a no brainer when considering bespoke solutions.

You could just go with the RetroTink 2X Pro as it offers more features than classic. It's what I have my Neo and Saturning running through via component. Picture is sharp and beautiful, no lag, and evens out the Neo's weird refresh rate. They're in stock on the official website right now. Or, like NeoDogg said, get an OSSC if you want a upscaler.

pier

Crazed MVS Addict
as i can understand, the first thing to do is to attenuate rgbs signals for consumer television and connect rgb and audio to the retrotink 2x pro. am i righ?

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
as i can understand, the first thing to do is to attenuate rgbs signals for consumer television and connect rgb and audio to the retrotink 2x pro. am i righ?

I'm not an AV pro, so somebody chime in if I'm off base.

What supergun do you have, and what video outs does it have? That will determine what you can do, and what we can recommend.

The RetroTink 2X and Pro are line doublers that effectively turn a 240p signal into a 480p signal - something much more widely accepted on modern displays. They do not have RGB/SCART inputs - you'd have to get an SCART to Component converter, then run that to the RetroTink. The RetroTink also fixes timing issues with refresh rates automatically - no adjustment needed. The Pro version has optional scanlines, and both the Pro and Classic offer a "smoothing" filter.

The OSSC is an actual upscailing device that converts your analog signal to a digital signal and works with RGB out of the box. These require some adjusting and tinkering, but if your TV's upscailer sucks (which it sounds like it does), this might be your best bet.

There are some modern, moderately priced 4K TVs with a decently rated 480p upscaler built in. The 2020 Samsung 8 series (TU8000), for example, is a decent 4k solution for 480p content with only ~9ms of input lag in game mode. I have one of these TV's running with my RetroTink2X Pro and the picture is stunning.

You could also just get a PAL CRT with SCART input since it sounds like you're in Europe. :)

Last edited:

pier

Crazed MVS Addict
i think that the costs to buy components to build a board with resistors and caps for video attenuation and retrothink 2x pro (this one costs $130 alone) are higher than buy beharbors vga doubler (this one costs less than €100). It isn't convenient.