NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
The resolution is , but isnt certanaily made by sharp as the psp display...
Nah, it's Tommo's wonderful video filters/smoothing/stretching... I tried to get a real close shot of how the 1:1 pixel ratio looks:
DSC03800.jpg

I really think that if Tommo can include this resolution into an update (along with Ack's brilliant HDMI out mod) people would stop complaining about this system.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I really think that if Tommo can include this resolution into an update (along with Ack's brilliant HDMI out mod) people would stop complaining about this system.

ive mostly stayed out of the whole ngx thing, but just so you know- people will always complain about this system because it's emulation vs. real hardware. plus there is some sketchyness as to where the emulation came from.

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
Yeah, you're right. I was really talking about video out/LCD screen complaints. I should have been more specific.

gamesboro

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Does anyone know how to use the USBbootTool? I read what ack posted about it, and I am very grateful for the information. The only problem is those of us with a 370 model can't update our system because we don't have a way of pulling the bios in the first place. Can the tool do that? If so, how? The whole thing is in Chinese so I'm afraid I'm going to blow everything up.

Do we have anyone here who can translate this thing? I really want to have a crack at making some changes.

I have read this thread back and forth MANY times but if I missed it somewhere I apologize in advance.

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
Sooo beautiful....:eek:

Is there a thread/link on how to do this mod?!?!

Here is a link to the page with the image (NGX internal SD with no roms).

http://home.educities.edu.tw/fushiyun2000/neo_geo_x_hack_improve_game_resolution.htm

Then use "usb_boot_ui—20111025" (I found this somewhere in this thread) to flash the image to the internal SD (hold start when you plug the NGX into your PC). Manually replace the roms in the game folder (you need linux for this part) and your set. Gorgeous HDMI and 1:1 LCD resolution. You do lose the ability to stretch to full screen on the unit's LCD however (it's worth it) and there will be black bars on the left and right when using HDMI (the credits will NOT be cut off).

Last edited:

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
Does anyone know how to use the USBbootTool? I read what ack posted about it, and I am very grateful for the information. The only problem is those of us with a 370 model can't update our system because we don't have a way of pulling the bios in the first place. Can the tool do that? If so, how? The whole thing is in Chinese so I'm afraid I'm going to blow everything up.

Do we have anyone here who can translate this thing? I really want to have a crack at making some changes.

I have read this thread back and forth MANY times but if I missed it somewhere I apologize in advance.

I think that it would work with 370 (we just need someone brave enough to try first), you basically just hold start while plugging the NGX into your PC. Run USBbootTool, choose the image you want to flash by clicking uboot.bin. You will see a progress bar near the bottom if you've done it right (it will take about an hour+). The only thing with a 370 unit is that you can't remove the SD card to reinsert the roms... so unless you have dumped your own image (with the roms still intact/injected with unibios) you will have no way to re-add them (unless you are a Linux wizard).

Last edited:

If you go back a few pages from here, I managed to dump my 370's filesystem partitions with a command line tool someone else found by compiling it and running it in a Linux VM. I haven't tried writing it back using the usbboot tool, though, the thing is scary and none of my friends can help with it. I thought there was a Chinese speaker in this thread?

difuno

n00b
If you go back a few pages from here, I managed to dump my 370's filesystem partitions with a command line tool someone else found by compiling it and running it in a Linux VM. I haven't tried writing it back using the usbboot tool, though, the thing is scary and none of my friends can help with it. I thought there was a Chinese speaker in this thread?

Steward is one and I am another one :D

xarcade

Quiz Detective
I'm really talking about the brightness level and how it seems the colors are washed out on this screen; not the display resolution. I'm sure the PSP has a better quality screen overall. The GBA SP backlit version is even brighter than the NGX.

This is one of the biggest NGX myths. The screen is fine, exactly the same resolution as the original psp.

Last edited:

aurelios69

n00b
I think the same, the the stock version, seems to have low brightness, and the colors are really very washed out. I onw every psp that came out, along many other protable consoles, and this one used on the ngx should be better

dezign999

n00b
Hi, new here :) Is there any way to get the soft dip settings to stick? They reset once I exit the menu, so I can't turn blood on in Metal Slug unless I pick japan as my region in unibios. Problem is I can't read japanese :P Would like engish/blood on via soft dip.

Steward is one and I am another one :D

Awesome! Is there anything in this you can translate for us, most importantly what I've circled in red? I'm pretty sure that means "Red from page x to page y from the internal storage and write to a file," but I'd like to have the opinion of someone who understands the language.

YqNKNoO.png

difuno

n00b
Awesome! Is there anything in this you can translate for us, most importantly what I've circled in red? I'm pretty sure that means "Red from page x to page y from the internal storage and write to a file," but I'd like to have the opinion of someone who understands the language.

YqNKNoO.png

Not good at the computer terminology, this is the best I can do, see if it would offer you some help.

YqNKNoO.png

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
Hi, new here :) Is there any way to get the soft dip settings to stick? They reset once I exit the menu, so I can't turn blood on in Metal Slug unless I pick japan as my region in unibios. Problem is I can't read japanese :P Would like engish/blood on via soft dip.
AFTER the game starts up do a soft reset by hitting ABC&Start and selecting soft reset... now quickly hold down CB&D. This brings you into the Test menu where you can turn on/off all the softdips. They should stay in effect when you hit exit.

dezign999

n00b
AFTER the game starts up do a soft reset by hitting ABC&Start and selecting soft reset... now quickly hold down CB&D. This brings you into the Test menu where you can turn on/off all the softdips. They should stay in effect when you hit exit.

Thanks, worked great!

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
attempting to write to a 370, cross fingers.

spoiler alert: my NGX bricked.

edit: just made a 2nd attempt after I got my PC to re-detect the NGX, USBbootTool locks up at 99% and freezes.

Last edited:

aurelios69

n00b
OMG.
Thanks for taking the risk.
And I wish you luck with the project, and on having the console working again.

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
You can still recover with an original image. Someone here even flashed a 370 unit with an unmodified 337 firmware :/

Last edited:

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
You can still recover with an original image. Someone here even flashed a 370 unit with an unmodified 337 firmware :/

Ubuntu corrupted my original img because it's an asshole so I have to look around to find a non-modified one.

edit: maybe it's not working because I'm putting the games folder in the wrong partition. I assume they go into the FAT32 portion because when I put them anywhere else it just breaks.

Last edited:
Not good at the computer terminology, this is the best I can do, see if it would offer you some help.

Whoa, awesome, thanks! Hm.. so the lower bit is 'check/debug'. The "READ" button probably works as suggested then and reads from the internal memory, though it's still kind of ambiguous. This pops up when you click the 'check/debug' button, can you help with this, too?

BRDPwtN.png