NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

someguy813

n00b
Could someone pm me a working copy of their game_card_configure.conf file? I am trying to determine if this is the reason, or bad soldering, is the reason I cannot get my card to work.

i have been having the same issue; i checked continuity with a micro sd installed and everything was right on and i followed the directions to the letter but no go. i even used different roms from different sources but still no go. i am not asking for any files though, after all, that is the fastest way to get a vacation and turn this forum upside down. i am just going to keep trying different variables and i will eventually figure out what i am doing wrong.

I tried it with both just uboot and all three. The first two times I did it I did solely uboot.bin

Eek. Well, on the bright side, you're in possession of a NGX you can't possibly make worse at this point. I know the filesystem can be dumped, but I don't know about the other two.

If you'd like, you could test this out; in the USBBoot util, bottom right, put 0 in the From: field, 8191 in the To: field, and click the "Read" button and save the result somewhere, and see what you get. I'm hoping you get a file similar to whatever it was you uploaded for the uboot.bin.

Last edited:

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I got a minute so I can tell you how that goes.

edit: LOL it's blank. Yep, this thing is over. unless someone dumps the uImage and filesystem

Last edited:

difuno

n00b
Whoa, awesome, thanks! Hm.. so the lower bit is 'check/debug'. The "READ" button probably works as suggested then and reads from the internal memory, though it's still kind of ambiguous. This pops up when you click the 'check/debug' button, can you help with this, too?

BRDPwtN.png

Sorry I was out for the whole day, here it is

BRDPwtN.png

cashmoney

Banned
ok when it comes to mods and stuff like that i have no clue.I saw a video on you tube where this guy had a lot Or the rest of the neo games on the x.Anyone here that can do that service?It looks like to me that no more games are coming out.

I got a minute so I can tell you how that goes.

edit: LOL it's blank. Yep, this thing is over. unless someone dumps the uImage and filesystem

Blank, how? like full of 00 00s or like you got an empty file? (I use Notepad++ with the Hex-Editor plugin to look at files like this)

Oh yeah, and did you save the sys_update_file that was on the FAT32 partition? Someone wrote a program earlier to extract pieces of the flash from that file; that has the boot sector, a couple kernels and the applications partition.. the boot sector may be able to just be flashed, the kernels i don't know and the applications partition needs some thinking.

Last edited:

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Blank, how? like full of 00 00s or like you got an empty file? (I use Notepad++ with the Hex-Editor plugin to look at files like this)

It was literally 0 bytes in size and blank.

Oh yeah, and did you save the sys_update_file that was on the FAT32 partition? Someone wrote a program earlier to extract pieces of the flash from that file; that has the boot sector, a couple kernels and the applications partition.. the boot sector may be able to just be flashed, the kernels i don't know and the applications partition needs some thinking.

I do have the update file, so I guess it's time to track down that tool and cross fingers.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Double post for update: I was able to take the image and separate the partitions, but the usbboottool will NOT write to the flash chip no matter what I do.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Nah, at this point I know it's not gonna let me write shit to the chip so I'm done. I'll see if I can get Tommo to fix it either under warranty or a cost repair, and if they won't I'll just throw the fucker away.

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
Buy the standalone unit, then return it... Tommo can reflash it. Don't throw it away... I'll buy it for parts if nothing else (LCD screen is still good, case ect).

Nah, at this point I know it's not gonna let me write shit to the chip so I'm done. I'll see if I can get Tommo to fix it either under warranty or a cost repair, and if they won't I'll just throw the fucker away.

Don't throw it away, I'll buy it off you for parts if you can't get it repaired.

I'm curious, did anyone notice a JTAG header or pins anywhere on the PCB? Wondering if you can dump the EEPROM off the 370 or reprogram it via a JTAG port.

gamesboro

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I think that it would work with 370 (we just need someone brave enough to try first), you basically just hold start while plugging the NGX into your PC. Run USBbootTool, choose the image you want to flash by clicking uboot.bin. You will see a progress bar near the bottom if you've done it right (it will take about an hour+). The only thing with a 370 unit is that you can't remove the SD card to reinsert the roms... so unless you have dumped your own image (with the roms still intact/injected with unibios) you will have no way to re-add them (unless you are a Linux wizard).

OK Ordo, I've got my image all sorted out. Is it supposed to be a dd img file or some other format before I attempt to shoot it onto the system using USBbootTool?

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
When I flashed mine it was an img file, you will be choosing this file for the uboot.bin. Make sure the drivers for the NGX's cpu are installed (your pc should recognize the NGX when you hold start and plug it in). Just do not click around the interface (you don't want to flash the NAND, only the "SD"), just go straight to uboot.bin.

Last edited:

gamesboro

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks for the advice my friend, you are a true pimp of which few are equal.

I'm loading the image right now so I'll give an update on if the 370 handles it well. (No worries, I have 2 NGX systems)

I installed unibios in the default games, and loaded the updated image that fixes the resolution problems. Here is hoping that it all works!

Last edited:

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
I'm loading the image right now so I'll give an update on if the 370 handles it well. (No worries, I have 2 NGX systems)

I installed unibios in the default games, and loaded the updated image that fixes the resolution problems. Here is hoping that it all works!

So this is a modified 370 firmware image? If you manage this it will be legendary, LOL at the community fixing Tommo's mistakes. Fingers crossed...