new 3DO ODE; fix your broken cd rom 3DOs

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

because damn it 3DO doesn't suck. Dont believe the internet

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I've always liked the 3DO. It gets a bad wrap, but its number of good games rivals the N64. Dozen or so each, some of which haven't aged well on either system.

I got an FZ-10 back in late 1995/early 1996. My FZ-10 still works great and I have most of the games I'd ever want to play, but I'll grab an ODE is my disc drive ever bites the dust.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Back in the day I worked at a video store than rented 3DO and we had pretty much every US release so, unlike the subsequent generation of dumpster diver fans, I had a chance to check out basically everything and see the system for what it really was and when it was what it was. I had a friend who collected import 3DO also so I even played a few Japanese releases.

With this comprehensive in-period experience of nearly every relevant game made for the machine I can confidently and expertly say that this system absolutely sucks shit. True, it has Return Fire, one of the best two player games ever made, but I’m willing to make due with the PlayStation version because the 3DO is so bad only Jaguar fans should own one. I’m kinda floored that someone would take the time to engineer an ODE for such a dusty doorstop. Even the effort it takes to throw a 3DO into a recycling bin seems like community service.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The 3DO is the Poochy of 90s consoles.

A dozen titles is being generous and even then there are better versions of most of those. I owned one in it's "prime" and outside of a couple ports Road Rash and Return Fire it was trash even then. I guess it's cool that an ODE solution exists for it but honestly if you're actually playing the damn thing unironically in this day and age you should probably keep that fact to yourself.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
The 3DO is the Poochy of 90s consoles.

A dozen titles is being generous and even then there are better versions of most of those. I owned one in it's "prime" and outside of a couple ports Road Rash and Return Fire it was trash even then. I guess it's cool that an ODE solution exists for it but honestly if you're actually playing the damn thing unironically in this day and age you should probably keep that fact to yourself.
I do. Well, I did.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
lol at least mentally deficient Jagwire fanboys can use AvP and Tempest as a shield. 3do has zero games like that.

I like the Tetsuo-ness of Iron Angel of Apocalypse and that’s it really. Nothing of note comes to mind that’s unique to the 3do.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Lucienne's Quest, if you are rich. Also, Sailor Moon and Yu Yu Hakusho had really good versions on that system. I would mention Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo but, there are way easier/better ways to play it today.

Jon

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Lucienne's Quest, if you are rich. Also, Sailor Moon and Yu Yu Hakusho had really good versions on that system. I would mention Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo but, there are way easier/better ways to play it today.

Jon

I can name 100 RPGs more worth someone’s time that Lucian’s Quest.

Back in the day YuYu stood out as uniquely horrible game, essentially a preview of Dragon Ball Z Ultimate 22 years later. YuYu on Megadrive blows the fucking doors off the 3DO game, straight up.

Super Turbo was never that great. You have to make your only controller for it and it has no parallax. The PC version from around the same time is better, the PS1 and Saturn versions that came out a few years later make it irrelevant, so does MAME.

I truly think Return Fire is the best argument for this system.

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
lol at least mentally deficient Jagwire fanboys can use AvP and Tempest as a shield. 3do has zero games like that.

I like the Tetsuo-ness of Iron Angel of Apocalypse and that’s it really. Nothing of note comes to mind that’s unique to the 3do.

I disagree, the order of the "dusty crusty trailer trash holy grail garbage systems" of the 90s. is: 1) 3DO, 2) Jagwire, 3) CDi.

The reason I said the only people who should own a 3DO are Jag fans is because I'm concerned for them. They have to have SOMETHING to play, something with a fighter on it that's playable, you know. Think of the guy's poor kids.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

Jon

Awesome soundtrack on that version but you cant play as the old version of the characters. While you won't see O.Faget, I do miss being original ken/ryu and Tony Hawk.

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
Return Fire wasn't actually that awesome once you understood how the flag placement worked. But I still had a great time with it.
Road Rash was its best version - and Need for Speed too. Fifa was pretty good for as soccer game as well. I have good memories of The Horde, Alone in the Dark and Space Hulk too.
Super Wing Commander was absolutely fantastic, the best version of the game ever imo.
I also remember having a lot of fun with Twisted the game show....

Nah, you're not being fair to that system, especially when comparing it to the Jag :kekeke:
Even "bad" games like Way of The Warrior had something fun about them, instead of being just plain depressing.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I got an FZ-10 back in late 1995/early 1996. My FZ-10 still works great and I have most of the games I'd ever want to play, but I'll grab an ODE is my disc drive ever bites the dust.
That's around when I got my FZ-10 used too. People talk about 3DO as a rich people's system, but my brothers and I got CDI, 3DO and that kind of junk when they were all at fire sale prices.

No one's mentioned Guardian War. I'm partial to that Micro Cabin strategy RPG.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
That's around when I got my FZ-10 used too. People talk about 3DO as a rich people's system, but my brothers and I got CDI, 3DO and that kind of junk when they were all at fire sale prices.

No one's mentioned Guardian War. I'm partial to that Micro Cabin strategy RPG.

I got my FZ-10 used (basically new, though) in the box with Gex and a few demo/sampler discs for right around $100. I don't think I ever paid more than $15-20 for a 3DO game; most of them I got for $5. People were basically giving them away from 1995 to 2010. I think that was part of the appeal: I could go grab a new game whenever I wanted with spare change made from mowing lawns, shoveling snow, etc. That and the multimedia aspect was pretty cool. I didn't have a nice PC back then, and playing CDs and watching video clips on the 3DO seemed pretty revolutionary, especially when most of my friends were still playing SNES games and listening to cassette tapes in their Walkmans.

Guardian War was a quirky favorite of mine. One of the first strategy RPGs I ever played. The Shining Force games were obviously much better, but that didn't kill my enjoyment of Guardian War.

I had a similar experience to Johnny16Bit, though I wouldn't stick my neck out for Way of the Warrior. That game is pretty irredeemable. Beyond Gex, Road Rash, and Return Fire, I always had fun with Twisted, BattleSport, Crash n' Burn, and the sports/racing titles. Hell, even Pataank impressed me in the mid-90s. The PC ports -- Wolfenstein 3D, Theme Park, Star Control II, Wing Commanders, Alone in the Dark, etc. -- were nice bonuses.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Twisted is good for one or two plays. Then you've seen it all. I guess it has been long enough now that it would be new to me again.

Reminds me of Wacky Golf on the CDi how friends can come over and be wowed by it, but it gets old fast if you own it.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I disagree, the order of the "dusty crusty trailer trash holy grail garbage systems" of the 90s. is: 1) 3DO, 2) Jagwire, 3) CDi.

The reason I said the only people who should own a 3DO are Jag fans is because I'm concerned for them. They have to have SOMETHING to play, something with a fighter on it that's playable, you know. Think of the guy's poor kids.

Jag had Tempest 2000, shots fired.

Even the shit games on Jaguar like Clubdrive are actually funny to play. I remember the non animated cat made out of about 10 polygons chasing me in Clubdrive with horrendous collusion detection while the soundtrack made some electric fart noises at me much more fondly than the dozen boring hours I sunk into Killing Time, Gex or Wing Commander 3.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I owned a 3DO around the time of the FZ-10. 3DO stuff is not for finding hidden gems. It lived during an awkward transition time from 2d to 3d, with all that FMV nonsense.

Many people are quick to point out the lack of exclusives, which was simply not true at the time. It is true most of the good games were eventually ported to the PSX/Saturn, but that was 2 years later in some cases. The library is lacking compelling games today, which is a valid argument. The ports are not always better, and in some cases much much worse. E.G Starfighter.

Retro is still heavily weighted to Nostalgia. I don't want to play the absolute best version of a game. Why would anyone play something on C64, when there are DOS versions?

I still prefer many of the 3DO games to their newer counterparts. When I'm playing Need for Speed, I want to play the original before it shifted into an arcade racer. I want the cheesy announcer(RIP). When I want 2D Fifa, it doesnt getting better than the 3DO. I had lots of fun with this console, but I don't know if new people can find it.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I hear Star Control 2 was good back in the day but fuck the prices it goes for now. Never played it and probably never will.