New Analogue console: Mega SG

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
So, how is this different from a Mega Everdrive? except for the HDMI part.

This is a whole system that outputs Genesis in HD. The ever drive is a flash cart.

They have nothing in common.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Pretty cool! The Super NT has been fantastic; I would expect no less from this project with Kevtris behind it.

On another note, finally, I'll be able to properly play the Game Gear Mega Man!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
No point if you have a Model 1 Genesis and an upscaler lmao. It's kind of a waste of money buying these.

Yeah, especially if you keep FM in mind. Model 1 is where it's at, even the Wondermega, though cool looking, sounds atrocious in comparison. Like Takumaji perfectly put it: what's "analogue" about it? ...bar the pizza, of course ;).

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
It’s just the name of their company. Why call it a Microsoft Xbox 360 when it’s not micro, not shaped like an x or shaped like a box, and not a sphere? ;)

Yeah, especially if you keep FM in mind. Model 1 is where it's at, even the Wondermega, though cool looking, sounds atrocious in comparison. Like Takumaji perfectly put it: what's "analogue" about it? ...bar the pizza, of course ;).

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
FPGA again, eh. Gimme a proper one with proper timing and we can talk.

What's "analogue" about that?

HD Genny? Not interested.

I get why people hate on this guys products, I get it. His CMVS was a overpriced wooden turd. His NT Mini I hear is really good but another way over priced console. He nickled and dimed people for accessories and shipping. His Customer Service has been So So.

I understand why no one will ever want to buy from this guy but if we put all that Christoph bullshit to the side and just focus on the Super Nt, it certainty lives up to the hype. As far as timing go's, I've experienced zero timing issues. I was actually playing R-Type III yesterday and did not notice any difference between playing it on my LCD and original hardware on my PVM. Playing on a Wireless 8bitdo controller, I don't notice lag either which is the biggest problem with playing on emulators and other hd consoles and devices.

If you have a Crt and Original Snes, I get why you wouldn't want to shell out the cash. For me personally, I eventually want to ditch my CRT and play everything on a bigger screen, Eventually, not there yet. Also avoid having to use expensive upscalers that involve tinkering. Just a clean plug and play solution. I really like the Super Nt for what it's worth and do recommend it to people who want to play Snes on a Newer Tv.

People here have purchased stuff like the Neo Mini, Snes Mini, Nes mini with limited games, crappy emulation (Neo Mini), and shit HD video (Neo Mini) for over $100 (Neo Mini). You're better off spending a little more and getting a much better product. That's just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Kevtris: good

Christoph: massive shithead

I would be conflicted, but I still use CRT’s on the very occasional times I play old shit so I’m not the target market for any of this.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Kevtris: good

Christoph: massive shithead

I would be conflicted, but I still use CRT’s on the very occasional times I play old shit so I’m not the target market for any of this.

This is about the sum of it. Nobody should be buying this since it does support Christoph.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
So, how is this different from a Mega Everdrive? except for the HDMI part.

It's not really if you want to get down to the nitty gritty of what it plays, but I enjoy supporting people doing FPGA work that aims to reproduce original hardware. Without it, we wouldn't have as nice of flash carts, my Sinistar machine would be in constant states of requiring repair (thanks Williams), and the cost for working older consoles would stay on the rise.

Anyway, as far as I'm aware, it's not like Kevtris has a Patreon, so if buying their consoles supports him, I'm in. The Super NT took over the place my old SNES 1-chip occupied, and I while I still hold onto the original hardware, I enjoy the convenience over fiddling with my scaler, dealing with jitter, etc.

tl;dr I'm a filthy casual I guess

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I get why people hate on this guys products, I get it. His CMVS was a overpriced wooden turd. His NT Mini I hear is really good but another way over priced console. He nickled and dimed people for accessories and shipping. His Customer Service has been So So.

I understand why no one will ever want to buy from this guy but if we put all that Christoph bullshit to the side and just focus on the Super Nt, it certainty lives up to the hype. As far as timing go's, I've experienced zero timing issues. I was actually playing R-Type III yesterday and did not notice any difference between playing it on my LCD and original hardware on my PVM. Playing on a Wireless 8bitdo controller, I don't notice lag either which is the biggest problem with playing on emulators and other hd consoles and devices.

If you have a Crt and Original Snes, I get why you wouldn't want to shell out the cash. For me personally, I eventually want to ditch my CRT and play everything on a bigger screen, Eventually, not there yet. Also avoid having to use expensive upscalers that involve tinkering. Just a clean plug and play solution. I really like the Super Nt for what it's worth and do recommend it to people who want to play Snes on a Newer Tv.

People here have purchased stuff like the Neo Mini, Snes Mini, Nes mini with limited games, crappy emulation (Neo Mini), and shit HD video (Neo Mini) for over $100 (Neo Mini). You're better off spending a little more and getting a much better product. That's just my 2 cents.

Neither SNES, nor Mega Drives/Genesis consoles are hard to find or expensive, same goes for proper multi-format (PAL/NTSC/SECAM) RGB monitors or TV sets. All you need for the proper experience is a console, a monitor (for ex. a nice Philips CM8833 or Commodore 1084S, of which there are lots and lots about), a step-down convertor and possibly some wall plug adaptors, and off ye go. If you really want to play the games on a bigger screen, there are lots of hardware-based options for that, even though I have absolutely no idea why I would want that. Genny games in HDMI on a flat screen with loads of lag? Dunno about you but that's not my idea of "classic gaming".

Quite a few FPGA-based systems have flaws, mainly timing-wise. FPGA is a way to recreate chips and chipsets but that alone isn't enough to properly mimic a certain system, timing between all the components is essential, and so far I haven't seen a FPGA machine that is 100% accurate in that regard. Even very small timing inaccuracies can spoil the fun, many games just don't feel right. This may not be a problem for casual use but if you're serious about your games, it's just not acceptable. Imagine playing KoF or Samsho on a system where the timing is off... unpossibel!!11! ;)

I mean, it's nice to be able to recreate very old and obscure computer or gaming systems of which there only are a handful original machines left but I really can't see the point in case of very common machines like 90s game consoles.

I don't hate on "this guy's" products btw., I don't even know him and don't plan to change that.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Neither SNES, nor Mega Drives/Genesis consoles are hard to find or expensive, same goes for proper multi-format (PAL/NTSC/SECAM) RGB monitors or TV sets. All you need for the proper experience is a console, a monitor (for ex. a nice Philips CM8833 or Commodore 1084S, of which there are lots and lots about), a step-down convertor and possibly some wall plug adaptors, and off ye go. If you really want to play the games on a bigger screen, there are lots of hardware-based options for that, even though I have absolutely no idea why I would want that. Genny games in HDMI on a flat screen with loads of lag? Dunno about you but that's not my idea of "classic gaming".

Quite a few FPGA-based systems have flaws, mainly timing-wise. FPGA is a way to recreate chips and chipsets but that alone isn't enough to properly mimic a certain system, timing between all the components is essential, and so far I haven't seen a FPGA machine that is 100% accurate in that regard. Even very small timing inaccuracies can spoil the fun, many games just don't feel right. This may not be a problem for casual use but if you're serious about your games, it's just not acceptable. Imagine playing KoF or Samsho on a system where the timing is off... unpossibel!!11! ;)

I mean, it's nice to be able to recreate very old and obscure computer or gaming systems of which there only are a handful original machines left but I really can't see the point in case of very common machines like 90s game consoles.

I don't hate on "this guy's" products btw., I don't even know him and don't plan to change that.

I wasn't saying that you in particular hate on him or his products. It's just overall here on this forum but I understand why.

Dont know how it is in Europe but finding high quality crt's here are getting much harder and expensive to find. Finding a nice 20 inch pvm could run anywhere from $150+. I could show you local craigslist ads of people selling 13 inch monitors for over $200.

One chip and Rgb modded Snes run from $100-150 here in the States. That's if you're looking for the highest quality rgb experience. Yes, I agree the Genny is still much cheaper to find.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Tak, I'm not saying that CRT original hardware gaming isnt the best experience. I'm just saying that there isnt anything wrong with having other great options for enjoying some of your favorite games.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I've pretty much given up on CRTs. An OLED set + an OSSC gives you an enormous display that doesn't suffer any of the problems of LCD. An original Genesis hooks right up with a SCART cable and looks flawless.

Depending on how much the FPGA clones cost, and how many different ones you'll be buying, it may be more cost-effective to just get an OSSC and the original hardware.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate

Finding RGB monitors or TV sets might be cheap and easy in Europe, but I can assure you thats not the case here in the southeastern portion of the US. Even shit PVMs with terrible convergence and geometry issues will run well over $100. Not to mention they are big and heavy.

Alot of current mid-range LCD TVs have sub-frame input lag, usually around 13ms ~ 15ms. A perfect example is TCL's s405 from last year.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
They should sort out their production issues with Super NT before making another. I was interested in a Super NT (and to a lesser extent, NT Mini) but it is due April '19 now. Garbage logistics.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
They should sort out their production issues with Super NT before making another. I was interested in a Super NT (and to a lesser extent, NT Mini) but it is due April '19 now. Garbage logistics.

Super NT is shipping now. Sega Mg is shipping in April.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Tak, I'm not saying that CRT original hardware gaming isnt the best experience. I'm just saying that there isnt anything wrong with having other great options for enjoying some of your favorite games.

Of course not. I also play Neo games on Xbone or use various emulators on my laptop, no prob with getting your gaming fix the way you find most convenient. It's just that I'm not a huge fan of FPGA consoles and the ongoing hype to slap a HDMI port on every bleedin' piece of hardware. Setting up my MD or any other console or old computer is just a matter of minutes and I know everything will work the way it was meant to be. I'm not a games hopper, usually I spend several days or even weeks with only one or two games at a time but I can see the advantages of an all-in-one console with HDMI out if you are or just want to skim through a couple of games spread over several systems to kill time.

Finding RGB monitors or TV sets might be cheap and easy in Europe, but I can assure you thats not the case here in the southeastern portion of the US. Even shit PVMs with terrible convergence and geometry issues will run well over $100. Not to mention they are big and heavy.

Alot of current mid-range LCD TVs have sub-frame input lag, usually around 13ms ~ 15ms. A perfect example is TCL's s405 from last year.

What about old RGB computer monitors like the NEC 3D/4D or Commodore 108x series? They're not as huge as standard RGB TVs and usually have better picture quality. I use a Philips CM8833 RGB monitor which only has a 14" tube but it stands on my couch table about half a meter away from me so it's perfectly fine for gaming.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Of course not. I also play Neo games on Xbone or use various emulators on my laptop, no prob with getting your gaming fix the way you find most convenient. It's just that I'm not a huge fan of FPGA consoles and the ongoing hype to slap a HDMI port on every bleedin' piece of hardware. Setting up my MD or any other console or old computer is just a matter of minutes and I know everything will work the way it was meant to be. I'm not a games hopper, usually I spend several days or even weeks with only one or two games at a time but I can see the advantages of an all-in-one console with HDMI out if you are or just want to skim through a couple of games spread over several systems to kill time.

What about old RGB computer monitors like the NEC 3D/4D or Commodore 108x series? They're not as huge as standard RGB TVs and usually have better picture quality. I use a Philips CM8833 RGB monitor which only has a 14" tube but it stands on my couch table about half a meter away from me so it's perfectly fine for gaming.

Even old vga CRT computer monitor are getting snatched up. All I see are wanted ads.

There aren't many of them around. Most have been scrapped.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Even old vga CRT computer monitor are getting snatched up. All I see are wanted ads.

There aren't many of them around. Most have been scrapped.

I've got a couple. Come get some.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Good CRT's are still obtainable here on the west coast. It must be from all the broadcast studios in and around the LA area.

So I was hard core crt and rgb for years. Lets face it rgb modded consoles and upscalers are a pain in the ass, infinite adjustments, infinite modding issues, going on long waiting lists for kits and parts. The older I get Im starting to not like hacked up consoles or even restored candy cabs.

As far as CRT's I dont want to drag these things around anymore, order special made cables, deal with aging internal components and failing tubes. Not to mention I just dont want to look at these ugly old things in my house or gameroom anymore.

Hdmi fpga consoles on a large low lag LCD cant be beat in my eyes. Its so simple and user friendly. Giant beautiful image. $189 a console. This is the future. This is the answer to so many peoples issues for retro gaming.

If you want to be an old curmudgeon and insist on the pain in the ass rigged up setup that is rgb and crt then so be it, but dont knock a setup like this until youve tried it. Sure lots of you have tried upscaler on a lcd, thats just not the same, not by a longshot, try one of these consoles and you will be impressed, you will be sold on this kind of a setup.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Sure lots of you have tried upscaler on a lcd, thats just not the same, not by a longshot, try one of these consoles and you will be impressed, you will be sold on this kind of a setup.

How is it "not the same"? The clone consoles still have to generate a 240-line image, like the original video hardware. However they generate an HDMI signal - a straight 1440x240 mode, or something line-doubled/tripled/etc - it's going to be identical to what I can do with a real Sega and an OSSC. (Given that the games use a RGB333 colorspace and a 6MHz dot-clock, we'll assume that the analog signal doesn't degrade in a meaningful way.)

Its different because you dont need to order special cables making sure that you look up the right cables to get because god knows you cant even just order some random scart cable and expect it to work, you dont have to mod your console, or wait for parts or look for someone to mod your shit, or have the separate upscaler. Its different because there isnt endless fiddling with settings, or different settings between monitors, or deal with the endless frustrations trying to get certain consoles to just fucking sync. Its different because you just turn it on and play, you dont even have the small step of selecting the console presets on your upscaler or even turning on the upscaler and trying to remember which presets number goes with which console. Its different because these wireless controllers are pretty damn good. Its different because kevtris is there to support it, constantly make improvements and firmware updates at an impressive rate.

We can argue about the actual image and lag all day but personally Ive never gotten a picture out of my super famicom, any model of super fami with any variation of mod and any upscaler or combination of devices to look as good as the image I have on an analogue nt on any lcd, and with such ease.

Thats the most important thing, it makes everything so fucking easy and you get an amazing result. For $189. Defend your old, broken, problem riddled, frustrating and pricey system of rgb (and crt) all you want. But these fpga systems are the future and for good reason, if you cant accept that and see the advantages here then I feel sorry for you and Im not going to waste anymore time trying to spell it out for you.

Last edited: