NEW Astro City Club

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
The speakers you showed works great with the original Astros, but I don't think they will work with the New Astros.

Is the size not correct? I can pop the back off my new astro and check but they "looked" like the same size just peaking through the grills. I just put a amp on my NAC speakers as they didn't sound bad, but my astro speakers were on their last leg for sure.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Is the size not correct? I can pop the back off my new astro and check but they "looked" like the same size just peaking through the grills. I just put a amp on my NAC speakers as they didn't sound bad, but my astro speakers were on their last leg for sure.

I've never taken the speaker box apart in the New Astro, so I don't know for sure if they will work or not.
Your picture shows you installing it on an original Astro, which it fits for sure. Let us know if it works in the New Astro or not.

Westcb

I've never taken the speaker box apart in the New Astro, so I don't know for sure if they will work or not.
Your picture shows you installing it on an original Astro, which it fits for sure. Let us know if it works in the New Astro or not.

Alright bud, took it apart tonight, speaker mounts don't line up perfectly but it's good enough for government work. I could mount one with a screw through the hole and a second with the screw holding the frame down. Fyi, nac speakers only use two of the 4 holes anyways. I put the stock astro city in for size comparison and you can see the magnet on the nac speaker is super deep so just about any speaker will fit just fine. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412299214.443190.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412299224.576533.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412299233.578758.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412299243.111735.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412299252.130324.jpg
Hope this helps :-)

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Alright bud, took it apart tonight, speaker mounts don't line up perfectly but it's good enough for government work. I could mount one with a screw through the hole and a second with the screw holding the frame down. Fyi, nac speakers only use two of the 4 holes anyways. I put the stock astro city in for size comparison and you can see the magnet on the nac speaker is super deep so just about any speaker will fit just fine. View attachment 19300View attachment 19301View attachment 19302View attachment 19303View attachment 19304
Hope this helps :-)

Ah, thanks for the pictures. It does help. I guess if someone wants to change out their NAC speakers, it can be done. Since the speaker are inside the box, nobody will really see it. And I DO work for the government, so its good enough for me. :lolz:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Have any of you guys had any problems w/ your Astro's going into HV shutdown mode? Im really in need to do a cap kit but im just too afraid to mess w/ monitors & discharging. Is there a video on how to discharge & doing a cap kit w/ an Astro.

Westcb

Have any of you guys had any problems w/ your Astro's going into HV shutdown mode? Im really in need to do a cap kit but im just too afraid to mess w/ monitors & discharging. Is there a video on how to discharge & doing a cap kit w/ an Astro.

There is lots of videos on you tube that will show you how to discharge, the practice is the same across all arcade monitors. Cap kits are just through hole soldering/de soldering super easy stuff. It's intimidating the first time but I promise it's easy, just remove and install one cap at a time checking values each time and you will not make a mistake. Also make sure to put caps in with the correct polarity, all but a few caps are polarized and will require you to keep the negative side (marked with a stripe) into the exact hole. Luckily the board is screened with a marking to show you which one.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,

If you have a MS9 chassis, I have posted the cap value and location somewhere previously. Or you can look here at arcadeotaku. I did forget to list the cap at C911, which was pointed out to me later on.
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Nanao_MS-9_capacitor_listing

If you have a MS8 chassis, there might be a cap listing somewhere.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Going to attempt to do my first capkit, but have no idea what chassis i have. It says Nanao but dont know if its MS8 or MS9 or which capkit to get on ebay.

2014-10-12 20.25.36.jpg

Also want to replace a couple of those white pots, where do you get replacement for these?
2014-10-12 20.24.51.jpg

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Going to attempt to do my first capkit, but have no idea what chassis i have. It says Nanao but dont know if its MS8 or MS9 or which capkit to get on ebay.

View attachment 19689

Also want to replace a couple of those white pots, where do you get replacement for these?
View attachment 19690

You have a MS9. As to where to get the pots on the remote board, I have no clue.
Just be aware that the cap kits you buy online will be missing a couple of caps and/or use shitty caps.
I suggest you buy your own caps (I suggest Nichicon).

leonk

Marked Wolf
Forgot about getting pre-made cap kids for MS9 .. they're never complete.

Also, can you take a long shot of the PCB? I think you have an MS9-29S but I'll know for sure if I see the bottom of the PCB.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
This is fun little game:

BRQ8Ki.jpg

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
How are you running "Fix it Felix?" ...via computer? I would love to get a dedicated board to put into a Nintendo cab. Even a rom at this point would be fun to play with at the moment.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Cleaned one of them up pretty nice... :cool:

AWvY729.jpg

This is my new GroovyMAME box running a 1150 socket Pentium @4.4GHz with a Radeon 4550 running Calamity's CRT_EMU_DRIVER for Windows 7 X64. You really can only run CV1000 games on a 4GHz or better system at 100%. Anything else would run like sh**. Trust me, I've tried. The graphics certainly are arcade perfect...though I can't speak for the default bitter delay since I don't own the original PCB (wish I did). It appears to play very honest though.

I'll toss a pic online of the whole line up when I get it all situated.

-Stell

Last edited:

Westcb

Cleaned one of them up pretty nice... :cool:

AWvY729.jpg

This is my new GroovyMAME box running a 1150 socket Pentium @4.4GHz with a Radeon 4550 running Calamity's CRT_EMU_DRIVER for Windows 7 X64. You really can only run CV1000 games on a 4GHz or better system at 100%. Anything else would run like sh**. Trust me, I've tried. The graphics certainly are arcade perfect...though I can't speak for the default bitter delay since I don't own the original PCB (wish I did). It appears to play very honest though.

I'll toss a pic online of the whole line up when I get it all situated.

-Stell

Looks great stell, one day I'll sort out a proper mame so we can play online.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I'm now a member so this thread needs a bump! I'll post up some pics later and through out the refurb process!

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
002.JPG005.JPG004.JPG

Plus a dirty slot pic for the pervs.

Last edited:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Congrats, nice addition to the lineup! The black monitor bezel doesn’t look so bad, mine has all sorts of graffiti and scars covered up with permanent marker, I haven’t been too concerned to replace it though. Those burns are going to be tricky, you repainting the whole cab or just the sections that need it the most?

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Congrats, nice addition to the lineup! The black monitor bezel doesn’t look so bad, mine has all sorts of graffiti and scars covered up with permanent marker, I haven’t been too concerned to replace it though. Those burns are going to be tricky, you repainting the whole cab or just the sections that need it the most?

Here's a closer up shot of the the cracks in the paint job:
002.JPG001.JPG

I'll be doing a full repaint of the entire cab I think!

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Which actually brings me to another question...do NAC cabs all have a 1/2" gap between the bezel and the monitor or am I missing some spacers like NNC cabs have behind their monitors???
004.JPG

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Also...on the topic of power supplies...I see NAC's came with a few different versions:

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/New_Astro_City_PSUs

Looks like mine came with the weaker 400-5198-01Y PSU.
005.JPG

I'd like to track down and buy the NVS-4000...does anybody know if it's a direct swap between the two PSU's or if you have to change the wiring???

Last edited: