NEW Astro City Club

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Also...on the topic of power supplies...I see NAC's came with a few different versions:

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/New_Astro_City_PSUs

Looks like mine came with the weaker 400-5198-01Y PSU.
View attachment 22003

I'd like to track down and buy the NVS-4000...does anybody know if it's a direct swap between the two PSU's of if you have to change the wiring???

Looking at yours you will have to change the wiring. Example, your audio should be independent of the dc connector but it's on the same housing.

defor

Geese's Thug
Going back and reading this thread reminds me how neither of my two NAC's is in decent "casual play" condition after I started doing major rewiring work on them...

I really need to finish them up and either sell locally (MD/DC area seems to see WTB's kinda often) or keep them myself (I'd prefer)
A few questions for anyone listening-
- I see plenty of nice new paintjobs- do you recommend repainting yourself or finding an auto shop to do it (I seem to remember this was the way to go a few years back)
- Anyone out there know where to snag a main wiring harness for an astro/new astro?
- Opinions of power supplies?
I ask this because I'm tempted to shelf what I have upgraded mine with and go to a RiverService or yahoo japan sourced NVS-4000
What I have now consists of 2 sets of:
Model 3 Power supply with a stock Naomi Amp and Transformer screwed to the top, and some modified sound cables.

I'm still a ways off from getting the jamma audio wired in and all the other bits that need to be done, and I look a the RiverService PSU's and think this would be a much better solution for what I'm trying to do. (I play mostly 24/31k games on the cabs, and have been seriously considering returning the cabs to stock and selling them off to get a more modern lcd cab, but it pains me to consider this)

Thanks!

Westcb

Going back and reading this thread reminds me how neither of my two NAC's is in decent "casual play" condition after I started doing major rewiring work on them...

I really need to finish them up and either sell locally (MD/DC area seems to see WTB's kinda often) or keep them myself (I'd prefer)
A few questions for anyone listening-
- I see plenty of nice new paintjobs- do you recommend repainting yourself or finding an auto shop to do it (I seem to remember this was the way to go a few years back)
- Anyone out there know where to snag a main wiring harness for an astro/new astro?
- Opinions of power supplies?
I ask this because I'm tempted to shelf what I have upgraded mine with and go to a RiverService or yahoo japan sourced NVS-4000
What I have now consists of 2 sets of:
Model 3 Power supply with a stock Naomi Amp and Transformer screwed to the top, and some modified sound cables.

I'm still a ways off from getting the jamma audio wired in and all the other bits that need to be done, and I look a the RiverService PSU's and think this would be a much better solution for what I'm trying to do. (I play mostly 24/31k games on the cabs, and have been seriously considering returning the cabs to stock and selling them off to get a more modern lcd cab, but it pains me to consider this)

Thanks!

I'll try to answer a few.
Paint: I would bet auto body shop in most cases will be the best option. If your asking I'm assuming you understand the price involved in that option. (It's high). If you didn't check on pricing yet you should probably just get some rattle cans and DIY.

Astro harness: yahoo Japan is the only place I have seen them for sale, someone else chime in if they have another solution.

Power supplies. Nvs-4000 will get you 3.3 volt if you need it but I don't think it has -5v at all, not really a issue I'm guessing since you only play 24/31hz games. (Curious what 24k games do you play on your Astro? And how are you playing 31?) you never mentioned putting in a new monitor. If you did, how does it fit with your monitor shroud? This power supply will also have a amp inside which is nice to have.

Hope this helps.

defor

Geese's Thug
I'll try to answer a few.
Power supplies. Nvs-4000 will get you 3.3 volt if you need it but I don't think it has -5v at all, not really a issue I'm guessing since you only play 24/31hz games. (Curious what 24k games do you play on your Astro? And how are you playing 31?) you never mentioned putting in a new monitor. If you did, how does it fit with your monitor shroud?

I do play a number of 15k games...
but ya- 24k- model 2 gets a lot of use surprisingly :D

I've upgraded both with wei ya 3129a chassis, so the original tubes are still in place.
I'm ok with no -5, as i can use a negatron on a jamma finger extension if I ever end up needing that.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I do play a number of 15k games...
but ya- 24k- model 2 gets a lot of use surprisingly :D

I've upgraded both with wei ya 3129a chassis, so the original tubes are still in place.
I'm ok with no -5, as i can use a negatron on a jamma finger extension if I ever end up needing that.

Expect to pay around $450 for a new paint job and a clear coat...also don't bother going to a chain place like Abra or that price will double:|

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I'm not sure if I ever posted my restoration, but here is goes.

Here's what my New Astro City looked like when I first bought it.

- Speaker Casing was YELLOW
- CPO didn't match, dinged up
- The whole body was scratched to hell
- Joysticks & Buttons were the cheap knock off brand

16636267844_f406aa65e4_b.jpg

17256958332_406d726e5c_b.jpg

17072517129_2fd11690dd_b.jpg

17258735695_5048042356_b.jpg

Fast forward to what it looks like today

- Repainted Bright White
- Polished Front Metal Foot
- New Side Art & Warning Stickers from Jasen
- New CPO from Game On Grafix
- New Sanwa Joysticks & Buttons
- Chrome Coin Slot

17232751396_2545230f01_b.jpg

17051317417_8c22ebd0db_b.jpg

16638511303_786eba0976_b.jpg

15026080260_ee92fe2de2_b.jpg

Westcb

Zerminator: amazing job. What method and chemical did you use to polish your foot stand? Mine don't shine like yours and I need to do them all.

defor

Geese's Thug
Zerminator- looks top notch- what paint and process did you use, or did you have it professionally done?
this is one of the nicest looking repaints i've seen- finish looks same as original even!

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Zerminator: amazing job. What method and chemical did you use to polish your foot stand? Mine don't shine like yours and I need to do them all.

I used the same stuff they sell in the car wash section for Mag & Alloy Wheel Buffing. It's usually a white cream that you can rub on most type of metal and aluminum to get a nice mirror shine. First step was using various level of sandpaper to get all the grime and major scratches out. Then clean it down and start using the polishing compound a couple times. The more elbow grease you throw at it the better your shine will be. I used the same stuff to polish my exhaust tips on my car :)

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Zerminator- looks top notch- what paint and process did you use, or did you have it professionally done?
this is one of the nicest looking repaints i've seen- finish looks same as original even!

Most people might laugh but I actually HAND ROLLED this sucker indoors just like doing any indoor wall painting. When I first painted my yellow speaker bezel I used spray paints and I actually didn't like the results. My spray painting technique left paint runs and an overall uneven coat in general. When I decided to do the whole cabinet I did a small test with a roller and was amazed at how even the coat turned out. I can't remember the exact brand of paint I used, I want to say a type of Rust-oleum. It's been pretty bullet proof so far. Not even the areas where your hands rub on the Control Panel are showing signs of wear. Most areas got 2-3 solid coats.

defor

Geese's Thug
Most people might laugh but I actually HAND ROLLED this sucker indoors just like doing any indoor wall painting.

realllllllly.
no protective clear coat when finished?
I assume some sort of detail roller?

thanks!

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Zerminator, do you still have the original side art stickers? I'm looking for a pair of those (I need only 1 actually) to make 1:1 repros, including neon green and dot pattern, I have been searching for those for a long time, maybe you can help me?

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
As someone whose life basically revolves around neon colors, seeing Astros with that dark green side-art always makes my heart sink a little.
Paint job looks great, but can’t really tell from pics, surprised about the roller technique as well.

Always been curious about those game-on-grafix CP overlays, tempted to try one for my superneo but I’m worried because it was a absurdly tight fit getting the panel to sit flush with the enclosure, and I wonder if the overlay would eventually bubble up from pressure around the edges. How sticky was the glue side on a scale of 1-10?

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I used a mini foam roller for pretty much everything. The job is not professional but I was happy with the results for the $$$ I put into it. One day down the road I'll be doing a complete tear down, repaint inside and out and jamma/PSU rewire.

Sorry don't have the original side art anymore. Yes they were lighter in color. One day I'd love to buy better repros and replace mine.

My game on grafix overlay has really held up good. No major bubbles or lifting anywhere. The textured finish is pretty much bullet proof. I love how it feels. You'd probably need to go at it hard with an Exato to do any real damage to these things.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Scott at games on graphics could cut it 1mm smaller around the edge like the legit ones so you don't have that problem. I have one of his for my NAC and it looks just the original in terms of size, you know, the small edge trim is just like the real thing. With the SN29 I don't think he has the file for the CPO so I think the size could be compromised if it's based on a CP and not a CPO.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
As someone whose life basically revolves around neon colors, seeing Astros with that dark green side-art always makes my heart sink a little.

I agree...I fucking hate it. I've got a pair of these repros and I can't bring myself to use them. Awful.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Me Neither, I kept the orginals intact when I restored the cab. One side unfortunately has a small scrape but such is life.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Me Neither, I kept the orginals intact when I restored the cab. One side unfortunately has a small scrape but such is life.

I hope somebody around here can make some good repros for us eventually...I'll be getting my cab resprayed later this summer and I don't wanna use these crap ones.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Zerminator, do you still have the original side art stickers? I'm looking for a pair of those (I need only 1 actually) to make 1:1 repros, including neon green and dot pattern, I have been searching for those for a long time, maybe you can help me?

Shoot me a pm...I've got 2 NAC shells and both still have the side art on them. Seriously, this needs to happen!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
How crappy? Is it the color or is it just a scan not vectorized?

Green on a screen and Green printed are two different animals.

Last edited:

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I've currently got a set of the standard Astro side art repro...when I say crappy I don't mean it's blurry or uneven colors...I just mean compared to the dot patterned and neon green originals, these forest green colored, not dot patterened repros are crap, wrecks the entire awesome color scheme of the cab in my opinion:|

On the 2 cab shells i have, one set appears to be pretty sun faded, but the other cab still has one that's in pretty great shape. If I can remove it without wrecking it hopefully we can find somebody that could clean it up and then get some new ones made...

Westcb

I've currently got a set of the standard Astro side art repro...when I say crappy I don't mean it's blurry or uneven colors...I just mean compared to the dot patterned and neon green originals, these forest green colored, not dot patterened repros are crap, wrecks the entire awesome color scheme of the cab in my opinion:|

On the 2 cab shells i have, one set appears to be pretty sun faded, but the other cab still has one that's in pretty great shape. If I can remove it without wrecking it hopefully we can find somebody that could clean it up and then get some new ones made...

I used the only ones I could find which I'm guessing "the crappy ones"ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430062442.304465.jpg
The alternative was to just leave the shreds of sideart that weren't scraped off. If there was a better option though I would be down for it.
On a plus side I found a burn free nanao ms9-29su that I just recapped and it fits well enough in the NAC (slight gap on sides but unnoticeable if you use the black foam on the edge). ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430062593.699356.jpg
I got another NAC shell coming from Stellarola that will need a complete overhaul so before I put crap stickers on someone please make proper replicas :-)