New Cart Not Working Properly Help!

oi-punx

Stakes Winner
I have a brand new US Samurai Shodown and it's not working correctly. It boots up fine and looks great until the intro is over and the demo runs. The screen has annoying verticle lines taken out of the picture tube. This is the only game of mine that does this. From the boot up to the demo it looks flawless. I tried cleaning the cart 3 times and the connectors are so clean you could eat off of them. What is wrong here? Thanks in advance.

Mentor

n00b
Sounds like a dry solder on one of the 'proms inside the cartridge.

Mentor...

B

Bobak!

While it isn't the most scientific solution in the world, I sometimes try and wiggle the cartridge ---VERY--- slightly in the slot and turn it on and off each time until I get lines to disappear. I had problems with KOF2k when it first arrived but by nudging the cart in the slot it turned out fine.

------------------
Bobak!
chen.jpg

You can also see me in the classic SNK game, "Guerrilla War" (known in Japan as "Guevara")

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Originally posted by oi-punx:
I have a brand new US Samurai Shodown and it's not working correctly. It boots up fine and looks great until the intro is over and the demo runs. The screen has annoying verticle lines taken out of the picture tube. This is the only game of mine that does this. From the boot up to the demo it looks flawless. I tried cleaning the cart 3 times and the connectors are so clean you could eat off of them. What is wrong here? Thanks in advance.

I'd have to agree with Mentor here (hard though that is to do), sounds like one of the pins on an EPROM inside the cart has lost its connection. Your best bet, if you don't have the technical skills, is to contact Jeff Kurtz to see if he's willing to fix the cart. His email is jmkurtz@macola.com, and he's very knowledgeable and fair when it comes to any and all tech support issues relating to the Neo.
biggrin.gif

oi-punx

Stakes Winner
Thanks to everyone for their response. I have contacted Jeff, and he has agreed to take a look at the cart. I will post a reply on this thread as an update in case anyone else may have this problem with one of their carts.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Bobak!:
While it isn't the most scientific solution in the world, I sometimes try and wiggle the cartridge ---VERY--- slightly in the slot and turn it on and off each time until I get lines to disappear. I had problems with KOF2k when it first arrived but by nudging the cart in the slot it turned out fine.

Bobak,
Can I come over and play KOF2K?!? I have not had the chance to even play that one yet
smile.gif
I promise I will not blow up your apartment... besides, I couldn't do it as good as Hollywood did anyway!

-Nick

B

Bobak!

Originally posted by nruva:

Bobak,
Can I come over and play KOF2K?!? I have not had the chance to even play that one yet
smile.gif
I promise I will not blow up your apartment... besides, I couldn't do it as good as Hollywood did anyway!

-Nick

smile.gif

Totally!

I just got back from Davis, I'll give you a call.

Bobak!

------------------
Bobak!
chen.jpg

You can also see me in the classic SNK game, "Guerrilla War" (known in Japan as "Guevara")

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
I've never had a problem with a cart not working right....SNK is not known for making defective hardware or software, I don't think....

Bryan

------------------
k99.gif
-Long live the Neo-

Hide

Banned
Well, Everyone make mistakes.

What to do?

------------------
Long Live The Mighty AES.
hide.jpg

www.gamersquare.com

Mentor

n00b
The problem incidentally is most likely with the the M1 chip that controls the GFX overlayes. It's not like snk neccessarily made a deffective cart to begin with, this quite often happens in many forms of electronics (Hey I just re-capped my sister's TV), especially ones that have been sitting for a while without being used.

Though admittedly if you've seen how dry and poor some of the soldering was on the last pirate MS mvs cart I had you would have been scared ^_^

Keeping that ass covered, eh chimp? ^_^ Ha Ha

oi-punx

Stakes Winner
As promised, I am posting an update to this thread. I received an email from Jeff, and apparently the graphic rom on the Samurai Shodown cart was bad. Jeff swapped it with a good one for me and I should be getting it in the mail soon. If you have carts that aren't working properly I suggest contacting Jeff assuming you've cleaned the contacts and all that other good stuff.

Enjoy

------------------
Will you stay true to your loyalty
Will your honor stand the test of time
Can we count on you when the time comes
Will you stand your ground?
It's your decision
You can't deny
It's your fate
That you decide
strider_hiryusword.gif

[This message has been edited by oi-punx (edited March 09, 2001).]

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Luckily, I had a just used a Sam 1 cart for a conversion so I had the chips handy
smile.gif

It was the C2 that was bad.

Jeff

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
That just brought up a thought... Jeff do you just toss those extra roms out when you convert a cart? Or do you keep them labeled and stored somewhere? I can just imagine seeing a bunch of small draws labeled M1, S1, etc... pull it out and a bunch of little labeld chips in there
smile.gif

-Nick

Damn, lost my Shock rating with this post.