New Chat Room... Comments and Suggestions NEEDED!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
OK... new chat toom is in place...

You will find it on the BOTTOM of site. There is a settings toolbar there:

(People don't like the sounds... so turn them off if you like)

jY8lMC5.png

For those just wanting to browse the forum, you can hide the chat toolbar:

dvjgqpy.png

I have found that on my laptop I can open chat in a new tab (I used Firefox)... It seems to work well for me...

PLEASE USE THE LINK ON THE ANNOUNCEMENT... NOT the one on the left hand toolbar (That will be removed asap).

3s09nSz.png

xROTx

PS. I would like input from mobile users and any suggestions you feel would benefit the new chat room.

It's early days... lots of tweeks coming...

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Very nice - great to see a new non-flash based installation.
I like the plain black on white (increases readability) and that avatars are automatically applied.

Didn't test out mobile yet, but is that actually a concern for people? I'd expect most of the folks use tapatalk to view the forums then which kind of disables the chat option anyways? (at least I never saw that on my tapatalk on android)
On an Ipad it looks ok in landscape mode.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
I second the white text with black (or dark) background.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Love that Chat is back, and the mobile version is very good!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
All the themes have been disabled except for THIS one:

JQ4Kl2T.png

xROTx

PS. Thank You Raz for sorting out the code.... :buttrock:

xterc

n00b
If there is any way to add the local time to each message (like Skype and WhatsApp) then it would be easier to follow a conversation when returning to a pre-opened chat.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
If there is any way to add the local time to each message (like Skype and WhatsApp) then it would be easier to follow a conversation when returning to a pre-opened chat.

Unsure... it seems if you allow the "avatar" function to be visible... and hover over it with a cursor it gives you the time...

I suppose i should look into that :D

xROTx

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
thanks for saying how to turn the bar off!

non flash huh?I will have to try sometime.
hopefully the recipes are better than when I chatted with deserters and ended up with salty meat in my mouth

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
there are still some issues with the new colors ROT that we can sort out today :)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
NEW THEMES.... THANK YOU RAZOOLA!

OK lads... there are 2 themes atm (Only applicable to desktops/laptops)... done by Razoola...

You may choose the themes as follows:

ZsGPmWj.png

The themes are:

neogeo1 (LIGHT THEME):
JQ4Kl2T.png

neogeo2 (DARKER THEME):
NJwUx7N.png

You may need to CRTL + F5 to refesh your scheme of choice.

The mobile stuff may take longer to fix...

xROTx

PS. Thanks Raz... love ya' LOTS for doing this...

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Great new theme, but I have a question:

I find difficult to read a whole exchange of comments when coming back after leaving the room, as the avatars are really small and text is exactly the same font/color for everyone...(except for my own replies)

Is it possible to assign a color or something to graphically distinguish the users?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I never had a problem with flashchat but sometimes you just gotta change with the times. I like it's ease of access with not having to log in or have a separate tab for chat.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I dunno what changed today, but now when I log on I get a "mobile chat" button in the lower right hand corner of the site. It loads a dedicated chat window, which is fit to screen and works awesome. Nicely done!

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I've been working on updated graphics for our chat room. These only apply to the desktop version (mobile has different graphics entirely, and I don't have its sheet to take a stab at it). What's possible is very limited, with many tiles that are only 8x8 pixels. With that said, I think this is going somewhere decent. Here's what I've got thus far:

Original Chat Bar

ei7OcV2.png

New Chat Bar

RKkSM28.png

Original Show Chat

e6InG3Y.png

New Show Chat

zd5Np5R.png

Original Users Popup

tPIliUQ.png

New Users Popup

PGa2ILe.png

Original Chat Popup

FXg6cDw.png

New Chat Popup

tBC4tbX.png

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Original Chat Popout

kTrey4a.png

Updated Chat Popout

cunMPWU.png

Original Chat Menu Popout
This is one of the few graphics that's sitting on its own file. There might be more flexibility here, in which case...

ffJ0S0Y.png

New Chat Menu Popout
...we might be able to have G-Mantle here.

RgrYVWF.png

In some circumstances, chat will display a really tiny loading animation. Here are some possible replacements:

LLx3m8x.gif

hatGqO8.gif

SLN0yxe.gif

Hopefully these help improve readability in some cases, while infusing a touch of character in others. The active and idle user graphics are original edits to downsample from Metal Slug. :)

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Completely agree. Mostly in case we are limited to using smaller images. Here's the original, it's not even transparent:

y6f5GtZ.gif

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
New chat room would be okay if it didnt randomly boot me every 10-20 mins. The annoying thing is I don't know I have been booted until I type up a sentence then when I click post I get the warning. I have to log out/in and re-type the whole thing again.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
New chat room would be okay if it didnt randomly boot me every 10-20 mins. The annoying thing is I don't know I have been booted until I type up a sentence then when I click post I get the warning. I have to log out/in and re-type the whole thing again.

All you have to do is hit F5.