New Cotton coming to PC, PS4, Switch

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
https://dengekionline.com/articles/1231/

https://gematsu.com/2019/05/shoot-em-up-cotton-reboot-announced-for-ps4-switch-and-pc

Beep, the video game sales division of Japanese company Sangatu Usagi no Mori, has established a publishing division and announced a reboot of the 1991-released, Success-developed arcade shoot ’em up Cotton as its first project. Tentatively titled Cotton Reboot, it will be released for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam. Release date and price were not announced.

Cotton Reboot is based on the X68000 version of Cotton, which was brushed up from the original arcade release. While it adds a new “Arrange Mode” that suited to current hardware specifications, it also includes the original version of the game.

In addition to the reboot version, Beep also announced plans to re-release the X68000 version of Cotton as a physical floppy disk for the platform this summer.

Last edited:

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Oh sweet, gonna pick up the floppy release for sure.

I thought you were being sarcastic... then I read the first post again. Someone is really making new floppy games in 2019?! hahahhaha... awesome.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
One of my favorite shooters by success still just a remake for the first one ? It be some thing if it was a compilation instead as a series as a whole.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Oh, I want the floppy version for sure. I’m gonna harass Play-Asia to snag me one.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Oh good. Now the weebs are going to make erotic fan art of Cotton.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Beep has a new english twitter account, https://twitter.com/beep_crew.

Some new info from a few weeks ago.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/05/20/beep-on-why-they-chose-to-bring-back-cotton-their-foray-into-publishing-and-more/

Here are the highlights:

On why Beep decided to go into game publishing:

It all started when Beep’s Mitsuru Maruyama met up with game developer Rocket Engine’s Isamu Kondou via an early issue of a retro PC gaming magazine. Back then, Kondou had created his own X68000 game Valist Leznalt. They became fast buddies, and later on, in 2018 they worked together again to rerelease Valist Leznalt on floppy disks for the X68000 once more.

Rocket Engine has worked on the Trouble Witches series of doujin bullet hell shmups before, and Cotton from the Cotton series was a crossover playable character in one of them. As the Cotton series hasn’t seen a new entry since Cotton Original’s rerelease on PS3, Kondou thought that it was a waste to just leave the IP out to dry, and asked IP holder Success whether they could do something with it. To their surprise, Success said yes. Kondou then asked Beep to be publisher for Cotton Reboot.

On why Cotton Reboot is based on the X68000 version and not the arcade version:

It turns out that the X68000 version of Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams is more polished than the arcade version, being more balanced and having more attack patterns for certain bosses. After discussing it with others, they decided to go with the X68000 version.

What’s new with Cotton Reboot:

While the game is an updated port of the X68000 version, as it is a complete port they have been able to add in extra features, such as having Pril Patowle from the Trouble Witches series be the playable character instead, and an autofire fire. There is also an Arrange mode that makes the game widescreen and more, but the other details aren’t finalized. However, they are taking care that the Arrange mode will not lose the spirit of the original game. More info is to come later on.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Thanks for the link, GhostSeed!

It turns out that the X68000 version of Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams is more polished than the arcade version...

Yeah, the love for the X68k is not unfounded. Imagine Sharp would've released a Marty version of it. How about a X68k Mini?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Pretty surprising this is getting released over here, esp. as a physical release. I got a copy from Amazon JP but have been on Aleste for a long time. I'll pop this in next I think.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Got it on switch… the touch, the feel of cotton… the fabric of our lives..